TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Creative Team Assemble! Writer Looking for Artists!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
danger_slater

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:42 pm    Post subject: Creative Team Assemble! Writer Looking for Artists! Reply with quote

Greetings Humanoids,

My name is Danger_Slater. I am a professional writer/novelist. I have recently finished writing a 6 issue comic book mini-series and am looking for a creative team to collaborate with.

As for the tone and look, it is a superhero book, a dark comedy/satire along the lines of Ennis or Ellis (with the existentialism of Morrison for good measure because Morrison rules, and honestly, why the hell not?) but a little more on the absurd side (think South Park).

Artwise, I envision it a little exaggerated and very bright - like Darick Robertson or Rob Guillory.

If you're curious as to the sort of stories I write, feel free to check out my website (or buy my book. That would rock!): http://www.dangerslater.blogspot.com Click on 'published works' for links.

I should stress that I am not looking to "hire out" an artist(s). I'm looking for partners. Collaborators. I would want this comic to belong as much to the artists as it does to myself. I believe I have the talent, ideas and skills needed to make it in this industry, and I need an equally-talented team to work with me. I need serious, focused, creative individuals who consider succeeding in this business more important than their shitty "day jobs."

Alone I'm a rocket ship. Alone you are boosters. Let's put our skills together and make it to the moon! Let's make some fuckin' art!

If you're interested, want to know more, or just tell me I'm a dickhead, send me an email: danger_slater@yahoo.com and we'll get to talking and see if we gel.

Bonus points if you live in New Jersey (Northeastern NJ/NYC area, as that's where I live and that's where the comic takes place).

Thanks guys.

Danger_Slater
Casual Notice
Spambot Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dress it up with pep talk all you want, you're still looking to hire an artist or team to illustrate your six-book script. You've made no mention of remuneration or of the disposition of rights and trademarks.

Assuming you're looking for partners in this venture, I strongly suggest you treat it like a business and make some solid offers. Would you go into a restaurant business with a guy who expected you to provide the food but didn't mention how the revenues would be handled?
danger_slater

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you bring it up, I can't speak to how the money portion would be handled until the money comes in.

I am under the assumption that when the comic gets picked up for publication, there will be some sort of contract that the publisher would sign with both myself, the artist and whoever else is on the team and all those details will get hammered out then.

I'm not saying I want someone to draw all six issues without payment. Perhaps it came across that way?

What I need are partners who can mock up some pages that we can use as part of the pitch to the publishers. Most publishers won't look at your stuff as a writer unless you come with your own creative team. Hence, I am trying to build a creative team.

Is it a risk? Of course it is. But I'm headed for the top. And it's your loss if you don't want to come with me.
AndToBeLoved

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

danger_slater wrote:

Is it a risk? Of course it is. But I'm headed for the top. And it's your loss if you don't want to come with me.

No offense, but that last remark is kind of arrogant. What makes your writing skills so great that an artist should take the risk to work with you for potentially zero money? Similarly, it could be a HUGE loss for an artist if the book doesn't pan out. Time is an artists most valuable asset and it takes a lot of time to produce quality art. You also make it sound like artists can't get by without you, by comparing them to "boosters" and that by teaming up with you they will "make it to the moon!" There are countless artists who made it HUGE by writing their own stories. Yes, I know that you were just using a metaphor, but again, you put yourself on top by calling yourself a "rocket." The simple fact is, you need an artist more than an artist needs you. That shouldn't suggest at all that writers aren't valuable or that your writing is no good, but you're making it sound like the only way to make it big is to team up with you.

Yes I know this thread is old and you've probably already been working with an artist for some time now, or are not longer looking, but that last comment you made just really rubbed me the wrong way so I just had to say something.

I do wish you the best of luck with your project, but please try to be a tad more humble when dealing with illustrators.

DoctorStevehatten

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:09 pm    Post subject: Yo yo yo homes Reply with quote

DangerSlater, I respect your confidence!

I too consider myself better than everyone with not much to back it up!

I will draw your comic! It will be black and white, and your ass is doing the lettering!

I'll take co-creator credit and 50% of any profits that are made!

DEAL?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> The Dogpile All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum