TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tumblr?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fat Bunny

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:12 am    Post subject: Tumblr? Reply with quote

I'm thinking about converting my website into a tumblr account instead. Right now I'm hosted on blogger. Seems like a lot of work to transfer aaaaaall my comics over to Tumblr... but it seems like kind of a cooler community. Has anybody done this? Was it worth it?
Also, if I do it... I can't imagine it'd be smart to just open a Tumblr account and post my 300-some entries over to Tumblr all at one time, right? How should I go about making that transfer?

http://www.TheFatBunny.com
sailorptah

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you used Tumblr for anything else yet? It's a site with a lot of cool features, but it's also complicated and there are things it will just plain refuse to let you do.

Off the top of my head, attributes of Tumblr that would be relevant to webcomics:

--Most layouts support image posts up to 500x750 pixels. Anything larger than that will be sized-down, and needs to be clicked on to see the larger version, which can be up to 1280x1920 pixels. You can change your main site layout to display images larger, but people following you via their own Tumblr accounts will still get the sized-down versions.

--There's an automatic queue feature, which will let you set up items to post between 1 and 50 times per day. (Less than once-a-day auto-posting is not enabled.) You can also set future posts to appear at designated times, which could be used for something like a M-W-F comic.

--Default layouts are only set up to accept comments and feedback from Tumblr users, and then only using its rather esoteric system. You can get the Disqus plugin installed to allow a more traditional comment thread setup (I've never done this myself, though, so I can't tell you how).

--Tags are a staple of Tumblr browsing. Users will track a given tag ("cats", "Sailor Moon", "tentacles", etc.) and, when the site is working properly, see everything posted by anyone with that tag. If you're doing a pop-culture-y kind of comic, it would be sensible to get noticed by using the relevant tags -- "The Avengers" on a comic that makes a joke about the movie, for instance. Also a good idea, if your comic has a relatively unique name: use it as a tag for all your posts. (If it has a generic name, like "Tentacles", you're probably just going to end up cluttering up a tag that people are trying to follow for other reasons. That will be counterproductive.)
vaslittlecrow

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tumblr is a lot of fun if you are really involved in the community. I am kind of meh about it and wasn't too impressed. But, I think that involvement is the secret to success there. If you are social, you will love it.
Grand prize winner!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get quite a few links from Tumblr, but I have to admit I don't understand it...
iaviv

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still don't get the commenting process.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iaviv wrote:
I still don't get the commenting process.

First person makes a post. Second person (with an account) can simply "like" the post, or can reblog it and add new text beneath. The original post will contain a record of all likes and reblogs, with links to the reblogs so you can read the commentary in full.

For example, here's an original post: http://dailyreportsfromlastnight.tumblr.com/post/34109906668/913-some-guy-just-got-out-of-his-chair-quietly

And here's somebody's reblog, with commentary: http://talkshows.tumblr.com/post/34120947651/dailyreportsfromlastnight-913-some-guy-just

If you scroll down on both posts, you can see the list of responses: a lot of "username liked this", some "username reblogged this from otherusername", and one "username reblogged this from other username and added:" with some of the commentary following.

But I'm A Cat Person
iaviv

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But you can comment without reblogging. I've seen it. How do you do that? And can you respond to a comment?
I'm still confused.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vaslittlecrow wrote:
Tumblr is a lot of fun if you are really involved in the community. I am kind of meh about it and wasn't too impressed. But, I think that involvement is the secret to success there. If you are social, you will love it.

Okay.... so I made a Tumblr (http://the-fat-bunny.tumblr.com/ Woot, follow me!) But I agree with Aviv, I don't really understand it. How can I "get really involved in the community" without being able to comment on things and have conversations with people? How does one get involved?
vaslittlecrow

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fat Bunny

As I understand it, reblogging has a lot to do with it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vaslittlecrow wrote:
Fat Bunny

As I understand it, reblogging has a lot to do with it.

What about blogs that mostly just want to post their own content, though? Or is that just not how tumblr is? I thought there were lots of 'themed' type blogs but I don't know how it works.
pjperez

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tumblr is good for some things. It's basically Twitter-meets-Instagram. But unless you're a code guru who can go in and customize it like crazy, I wouldn't recommend using it to host a webcomic. While the potential to spread the comic is exponential (thanks to the "reblog" feature), you really want to have your content primarily hosted on a server you control, and to which anyone can easily find and/or comment/share your comics.

I have two Tumblrs. One is basically an art blog, where I cross-post stuff from DeviantArt or upload in-progress shots and other behind-the-scenes stuff. But my other one, Homemade Comics, I kind of wish I'd just created as a standalone blog. While it has gained some notoriety thanks to the follow/like/reblog functions (195 followers is a lot more than any of my other webcomics allegedly have according to stat reports), I wish I had more robust commenting options for non-Tumblr users, as well as expanded navigation. But oh well, I lived, I learned, and now Tumblr - as a user - is one of my favorite social media sites, even if it makes me feel old as crap.
TonyDiGerolamo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say, build your own site with wordpress. More control. I think Tumblr, blogger or any other site can limit you. You can always promote on Tumblr too.
pjperez

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TonyDiGerolamo wrote:
I say, build your own site with wordpress. More control. I think Tumblr, blogger or any other site can limit you. You can always promote on Tumblr too.

Exactly.
Tricksfortreats

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TonyDiGerolamo wrote:

I've recently started a Tumblr and have to agree 100%. While I like the site and have had some success with a few followers, I don't want to reblog the work of others. I'm gonna look into Wordpress and try using Tumblr as a meet and greet.
smbhax.com
No! Don't post it there!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iaviv wrote:
But you can comment without reblogging. I've seen it. How do you do that? And can you respond to a comment?
I'm still confused.

When you make a post and end it with a question mark, a "Let people answer this" check box appears--apparently if you check that then people can respond with a comment.

There is no reply to a comment feature as far as I know, so what you do is just highlight the comment, CTRL+C (or whatever) to copy it, then paste it into a new post and type your response in below it. :P
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: