TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lessons learned from making webcomics
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eve Z.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

justender wrote:

Kail wrote:

4) Feedback is important, but few people give it. If you like something, take a minute to tell the creator.

Do you have any idea how many times I've wanted to comment on somebody's work in the past 10 years, only to find out that there's no email address, there's no comment form, or there's some stupid registration blocking me from doing so? The more roadblocks you throw in front of people, the fewer who will bother.

And in fact, it's gotten to the point that I mostly don't even bother trying. Because you can spend time crafting a comment, only to find out that you're not going to be able to post it. Get that lesson hammered home to you a few times, and you learn that, in general, people don't want comments.

I have a shoutbox on my page that is right up near the comic and I RARELY get any comments. ^^; So yeah, people don't bother commenting anyway.
And honestly, I rarely comment myself on other people's comics because I'm really shy. Unless I knew the person for quite a while and I'm familiar with their stuff. Or, if the comic really leaves an impression on me and HAVE to say something. Very Happy
The Bomb-diggity

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love comments. I don't get many of them though. Then again I also don't leave many, mainly because I'm not sure anything I have to say is worth posting most of the time.

Confused

Blog
Casual Notice
Spambot Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No matter how long you do it, no matter howmuch money you make, never forget that it's just a comic.
nsanelilmunky

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't really add much since I'm just starting, but..

Get used to the love/hate relationship you're likely to have with your ruler.

Perspective is your best friend, both the drawing type and the writing type.

Research is a P.I.T.A. but can really open up both your story and your imagination to new ideas.

Get an adult sippy-cup (water bottle or thermos with a lid) for your drawing area. It sucks when you have to redraw something because of spills.

--------------
Also... Hi, I'm new here. When I'm trying to avoid being productive I'm usually on the internet so you may see me here often.
BX634

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:39 pm    Post subject: Lessons Learned Reply with quote

Keep it simple. Black pen. White paper. Free blog. Go.
Don't fret that your paper or pens are not nice enough. Jack Kirby used basic pens, pencils and paper.
Watch YouTube videos of established comic artists. You'll be surprised by at least some of the things you see.
Just draw stuff. Even if it sucks, you're producing. Every crappy drawing is one step closer to a good one.
Keep going. Most people quit. You'll get major credit for staying in the game.
Spencey

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndrewBCrisp wrote:
Avoid the temptation to be lazy at all costs.

This. Cutting corners is the easiest way for your comic to fail to develop.

Otherwise, in my humble opinion...

1. Start with a small project. Otherwise, spend the rest of the project agonising over whether to redraw your early archives, leave them polluting your wonderful story or abandon the whole thing and start something else. With a small project, you can bring it to an end and move on to a bigger project with better artwork from day 1.

2. Never redraw an old strip. Just don't. Your artwork will improve over time and you could end up forever redrawing those same early strips instead of something new.

3. That brilliant idea you had about a group of hilarious or odd-ball musicians won't work. Comics is a silent medium. Comics about music never work.
Resident Diet Lawyer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spencey wrote:
3. That brilliant idea you had about a group of hilarious or odd-ball musicians won't work. Comics is a silent medium. Comics about music never work.

Unless:

1. You're art style managed to capture an idea of music, like Scott Pilgrim managed (to an extent - it could have been done better but it was an improvement over what I've seen in the past); or

2. You don't focus on the music, and instead focus on the characters in and business of being the band.

Spencey

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zoe Robinson wrote:
Spencey wrote:
Comics about music never work.

Unless:

1. You're art style managed to capture an idea of music, like Scott Pilgrim managed (to an extent - it could have been done better but it was an improvement over what I've seen in the past); or

2. You don't focus on the music, and instead focus on the characters in and business of being the band.

Still not convinced. Sorry Zoe Smile For me it always feels like a key ingredient is missing!
Resident Diet Lawyer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spencey wrote:
Still not convinced. Sorry Zoe Smile For me it always feels like a key ingredient is missing!

Never apologise for an opinion on something that's inherently subjective. Smile

Marscaleb

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

justender wrote:

Do you have any idea how many times I've wanted to comment on somebody's work in the past 10 years, only to find out that there's no email address, there's no comment form, or there's some stupid registration blocking me from doing so? The more roadblocks you throw in front of people, the fewer who will bother.

This, this, a hundred times this!!

And about Spam filters; Akismet. This thing works so well I wonder if the folks who make it also made the spam-bots that it captures. Thankfully they offer their services for free if your site doesn't really bring in money.

wendyw wrote:
I have one thing to add, one thing that came in useful just a moment ago, keep your old pen lids. If you use disposable pens for inking make sure you keep a few spare lids because it's amazing how easy it is to lose the things and nobody wants to spend twenty minutes looking for a pen lid.

...You DO know that you can clip the pen lids onto the other end of the pen while you use it, right?

wendyw wrote:
I love comments. I don't get many of them though.

The first few weeks I felt like folks were just posting comments for no reason, like they just wanted someone to pay attention to them. But now, if no one comments I start getting worried; is this page not good enough? Did those folks stop reading my comic?! What's wrong?!
Smile

Spencey wrote:

2. Never redraw an old strip. Just don't. Your artwork will improve over time and you could end up forever redrawing those same early strips instead of something new.

What about re-writing a chapter, especially a first one?
wendyw
The Bomb-diggity

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marscaleb wrote:

wendyw wrote:
I have one thing to add, one thing that came in useful just a moment ago, keep your old pen lids. If you use disposable pens for inking make sure you keep a few spare lids because it's amazing how easy it is to lose the things and nobody wants to spend twenty minutes looking for a pen lid.

...You DO know that you can clip the pen lids onto the other end of the pen while you use it, right?

I know. It's just sometimes when I've really got into it I change pens pretty quickly in order to finish a panel, sort of "Quick! Lid off! Draw that line! Grab that pen! Fix that bit! ...wait. Where have all my pen lids gone and where did I just throw my ruler?" which is no excuse, or maybe it's a bad excuse, but it still happens, so spare pens lids can come in very useful.

Also I have a few double ended markers and those you can't do that with so I'm definitely keeping the lids of them as they start running out.

Mostly though it's because I don't tend to think about what I'm doing with things when I swap tools quickly, so pens, pencils, lids, rulers and other bits and bobs just go missing half way through drawing something.

Blog
cct
B

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:52 am    Post subject: aa Reply with quote

1) I don't care what anyone thinks about my story. Except when I do.

2) I don't care about being recognized. Except when I do.

3) I don't treat this as a job. Except when I do.

4) I find solace whenever I bring this up to other webcomic people and they understand exactly what I'm talking about.

5) This probably just indicates you're all as insane as I am.
Clint Wolf

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: aa Reply with quote

cct wrote:
1) I don't care what anyone thinks about my story. Except when I do.

2) I don't care about being recognized. Except when I do.

3) I don't treat this as a job. Except when I do.

4) I find solace whenever I bring this up to other webcomic people and they understand exactly what I'm talking about.

5) This probably just indicates you're all as insane as I am.

Huh. Weird echo in here.
The Bomb-diggity

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, the mimic-bot's back.

Ban, ban, ban!

Blog
JohnK

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never overload a page with dialogue. I learned this from my first comics. My bubble placement was terrible too.

If your comic is a story, have that worked out well in advanced unless you really want to go for an improvised feel.

Work hard, but have fun.

There's no such thing as a muse. Just sit your ass down and do it. I don't think I so much learned this, but grew up and stopped procrastinating.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: