TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Artist looking for writer to collaborate with
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wanweird

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:54 am    Post subject: Artist looking for writer to collaborate with Reply with quote

Sort of self explanatory. I've been out of making comics and drawing regularly for some time now. I'm looking for someone to work alongside with to try and develop a webcomic with. If you're interested, feel free to check out my artwork here: http://zenandgroove.deviantart.com/
monkofmimir

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

your good! I think you won't have any trouble finding a writer

Last edited by monkofmimir on Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
rylearron

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also unlike most of the artists seeking writer posts I've seen here your not full of yourself asking for money up front before you do anything.
Kail

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know that I'd call it "full of yourself" to ask to be paid to do work. Someone asking for $500/page, sure, fine, ego is a bit out of control there. But asking to be paid at all? Perfectly acceptable if you don't know the writer, in my opinion.

What the OP is asking for is a collaboration, which is an equal relationship between partners. What most drive-by writers on here are looking for is "please draw this story for me," which is not an equal relationship between partners, it is a "me boss, you lackey" relationship.

But yeah, good luck to the OP, seems like a good offer, let us know what you come up with! Very Happy
ronin3567

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, nice to met you

I'm a Artist as well. I would love to work with you on a webcomic.

I like to write for comics too. I'm doing two webcomics, Magenta the Witchgirl and just the art for Killjoy. I love comic book fonts and lettering, so I would like to do another webcomic about Witches. I have the speak and spell comic font pack from Comic Craft. Also some other cool fonts for the title.

Name:The Raven Witches,
Premise: They are a witch/punk band from Long Island. After a trip to the local magik shop, the witches unlock an ancient chest and release an evil into the world that could wipe away all magic in the universe! leaving them powerless. The evil eats magic and magical artifacts.

Here is my email:
Obsidian_sun2@yahoo.com
Lavenderbard
^_^

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kail wrote:
I don't know that I'd call it "full of yourself" to ask to be paid to do work. Someone asking for $500/page, sure, fine, ego is a bit out of control there. But asking to be paid at all? Perfectly acceptable if you don't know the writer, in my opinion.

I think that if you want an employer/employee relationship with an artist, you should expect to pay them even if you do know know them.

Kail wrote:
What the OP is asking for is a collaboration, which is an equal relationship between partners. What most drive-by writers on here are looking for is "please draw this story for me," which is not an equal relationship between partners, it is a "me boss, you lackey" relationship.

I often feel a bit burdened trying to take on all the creative roles for all my projects, and think that having a collaborator would be nice.

But I have a hang-up over completion, that my collaborator would probably have to share in order for us to work together. And also, I worry that any truly collaborative project, instead of reducing the stories in my head fighting and clawing to get out, would add to them. Frankly, that's a very scary prospect to me.

Since I understand that the whole 'me boss' thing is considerably less than fair if I'm not also offering to pay my 'lackey', I mostly just expect to never find anyone willing to work under my terms and to continue to have to do everything myself until the day (that seems unlikely to ever come) when I can actually afford to pay someone.

But it's hard to exorcize the hope that maybe somewhere out there is an artist who would enjoy working on my project, who has enough faith in the combination of my story their artwork to be willing to commit to completing the entire project before making it available to the public, and who wouldn't mind me retaining a great deal of artistic control.

So I can't really scorn any other writer for asking.

(Just for not putting together a decent request when there are stickies explaining how, and for thinking that they're a writing god just because they have come up with an idea they think is cool, that any and all artists out there should be honored to work with them, and that anyone pointing out their lack of actual writing skill is just being mean.)
Spambot Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thinkthat i should point out that Rylearron was not casting aspersions on those who reply to writers' requests, but on those who open their own thread offering their "services" to us poor, uiseless writers--usually for an underserved premium rate.

For the record, Kail, good writing takes a lot of talent and training. The cost outlay isn't as brutal as that which artists have to face, but I can count on the fingers of one foot the number of artist-written comics that couldn't benefit from the application of a red pen.
vulpeslibertas
Level 1 threat

Location: Here and there...mostly there. Sometimes kinda in between.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Casual Notice wrote:
artist-written comics that couldn't benefit from the application of a red pen.
Wouldn't that ick up your computer monitor?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Casual Notice wrote:
I thinkthat i should point out that Rylearron was not casting aspersions on those who reply to writers' requests, but on those who open their own thread offering their "services" to us poor, uiseless writers--usually for an underserved premium rate.

Yeah, that's what I was referring to (minus the "undeserved" part, maybe there's some specific posts floating around I haven't noticed). When you put those "will draw for $" posts out, it's still almost always the writer dictating terms to the artist. I've yet to see one where the artist said something like "I've got these three characters, one's a squirrel with a jetpack, the other's a robot, and the third one is a time traveler from an alternate past, they sit on the couch and play video games, I need someone to write a script and pay me to draw it for $20.00 per page, please, thanks in advance."

It's not an question of talent, it's a question of hierarchy. If someone's looking for a collaboration (like the OP) that's one thing, and again, maybe there are a lot of weird artist posts making strange demands that I haven't noticed. In my experience, though, if you're drawing for money, you're told what to draw.

If a writer wanted to advertise their services similarly ("I'll write any story you want for $XX/page" or something) then I'd say the same thing, no harm in asking for money as long as the price is fair. Most of the writers looking for artists on here are looking for someone to draw their specific story for them, though, not just "a project to write".
Casual Notice
Spambot Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's still almost always the artist dictating terms to the writer. I've yet to see one where the writer said something like "I have no ideas or notion of story-telling but I do have a WaCOM and a marginally legal copy of PhotoShop. I need someone to create the words and themes that will make my Penny Arcade knockoffs (or vanilla anime--my choice) famous. Also you need to pay me at least $20 a page. I use a ruler for everything I do."
Kail

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Casual Notice wrote:
It's still almost always the artist dictating terms to the writer.

Could you link one? Here's a few (1 2 3) where the writer is telling the artist what the artist is going to draw, I haven't seen many that I can recall where the artist is telling the writer what he's going to write. About the only thing I've seen that's comparable is when an artist outlines what visual styles he can and can't pull off well.

Casual Notice wrote:
I've yet to see one where the writer said something like "I have no ideas or notion of story-telling but I do have a WaCOM and a marginally legal copy of PhotoShop. I need someone to create the words and themes that will make my Penny Arcade knockoffs (or vanilla anime--my choice) famous. Also you need to pay me at least $20 a page. I use a ruler for everything I do."

Kind of confused about your point here. I also have not seen a post where a writer claims not to be a writer but owns Photoshop and uses a ruler (?) while expecting to be paid, and I'm not sure how that supports your case. I agree that it would be pretty ridiculous to pay a person if they said something like that, if that's any help. I dunno.
wendyw
The Bomb-diggity

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kail

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, lordy, how did I ever forget about that... and more importantly, how can I do it again...

You win this round, CN... BUT I'LL BE BAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaack....
persondude

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, wanweird, I sent you a note on the dA account you posted. Hope to hear from you soon.
Murdaugh
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wendyw wrote:
I can explain the ruler.

Mmm, my face is beautful.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> The Dogpile All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum