TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What is a flatter?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Casual Notice
Spambot Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:52 am    Post subject: What is a flatter? Reply with quote

Seriously. There have been a few ads in the dogpile for a flatter (possibly all fromt he same person.group), and I've looked at their DA pages, but I can't deduce what it is they're claiming to do.

Please someone tell me that it's just a pretentious term for a colorist, because digital coloring is sooo much more difficult than the work artists like Glynnis Oliver used to do with cellulose screens.

The only other thing I can think of is something to do with merging layers for a full picture, and I can't for the life of me figure out why that would be worth $5-15 US to anyone.
iaviv

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A flatter (or a colorist, plenty of colorists flat and color) is a person doing the dirty boring work that comes before the coloring. Just flat areas of color where they need to be. Before you add in detail. You know, like light and shadow, gradients, effects and what have you. Some people prefer their stuff to actually look flat. Mike Mignola's Hellboy for instance is mostly and sometimes completely flat areas of color. But most people don't do that, for various reasons. For Mike's work it works, for most people's work it just seems lazy. This stage takes maybe 30 minutes to an hour at most for most pages, so you're not saving that much time. It is boring work, however. And some people actually don't have the time to waste on that so they hire a flatter from India or whatever real cheap.
Spambot Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, basically, a flatter is an apprentice colorist.
iaviv

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something like that. I'm not an expert or anything, I just know it exists. I flat and color my own comics, thank you very much.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, a flatter is useful for both coloring and pre-inking/line holding. For my webcomic SOUP Wars we actually needed a flatter because there was three layers of inking. In that case having the colors pre-laid out at the pencil stage was critical. He also colored in the lines for me after inking.

Nowadays, I use one whenever I am too bogged down with work or in too much physical pain to do my own flatting. I have one that I've used faithfully whenever I need him.

Here's how the process go:

No! Don't post it there!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have I mentioned that you're looking marvelous today?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smbhax.com Now THAT is a flatter.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony Piro has a tut over here on flatting comics, which gives an outline at the start of why it's such a pain in the arse. And also how to cut down on the time with a photoshop plug-in.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> Webcomic Gubbins All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: