TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Changing Avatar/Banner?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marooned

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:36 pm    Post subject: Changing Avatar/Banner? Reply with quote

So, I realize that this site is really old, and not much upkeep is generally happening. But it seems like functionality that used to be available is gone.

I'm trying to change my (Very old) banner and avatar that shows up in the forum. Hitting my profile sends me to the home page, not the forum. While I found a place to upload an image, it seems separate from the forums.

In the forums, I can find my profile by clicking it in the footer of a post, but I cannot edit anything at all. As for my banner... no idea where that is.

I've used phpBB forums a lot, and there is usually a fairly comprehensive profile you can edit, but that is all missing here.

In short - what gives? How can I change this? Have the owners simply mostly given up on this site?

In addition, the home page... guys, it's 2012. Can we at least update the text size to increase it so it's readable? And do we really think loading 10,000 comic names into a DROPDOWN menu is a good idea?

It would be nice to have some updated, modern controls to handle my comic listing here. Especially to delete really old stuff I don't even publish on my own site any more!
Ich bin ein webcomicker

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah this is a backup forum that was created when the original forum got attacked by spammers, or similar history. It's not really connected to TWCL, as I understand it.

For edits to your profile or sigline, send a PM to Wendy, see here for details.
Spambot Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The forum is attached to the main site...sort of...

As dpat said, TWCL forums got hit by spammers and hackers pretty hard in 2009(?), including a hackbomb that finally broke in by overwhelming the excluder software. it completely broke the custom phpBB install that Ash had, but not the database. Ash installed a new copy of phpBB 2.0, but many of his custom includes (the ones that tied the forum and the main site together) were gone. Oddly, the includes that disabled profile editing from within user status in phpBB were still intact (Ash disabled those because many of his includes allowed editing of the profile both on the forum and in the main site, and were run from a custom menu bar that nolonger exists).

I'm sure Ash intended to reload an old backup or rewrite new copy, but (a) Ash hasn't been on the forum as more than a lurker since 2004, and (b) he has a real job and other sites that actually earn him an income (he also has a wife and kids and things). Oppy tried to do some things, but he doesn't have the sort of access needed. Wendy and Neko opened an alternate forum but it never got past early testing.
wendyw
The Bomb-diggity

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dpat57 wrote:
Yeah this is a backup forum that was created when the original forum got attacked by spammers, or similar history. It's not really connected to TWCL, as I understand it.

For edits to your profile or sigline, send a PM to Wendy, see here for details.

We had a major, major problem with spam that could only be fixed by applying an update that sort of broke Ash's custom sidebar. It was either lose the sidebar or get inundated with some rather nasty spam. As a result the only way to get to the profile controls is through the admin section and as oppy now spends his time travelling from country to country (we suspect that he's actual working as either an art smuggler or secret government agent these days) I'm the only person with access to that who's about on a regular basis.

Ash could deal with it, but he's pretty busy and his only real interaction with the forum side of things these days is to restore the thing if it goes down for some reason, so yeah, it's just me right now.

I've got a couple of messages in my inbox, so I'll clear through them all as soon as I'm done with making, eating and cleaning up after dinner.

Edit: What Casual said.

Blog

Last edited by wendyw on Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Marooned

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Wendy.
Grand prize winner!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow... I must have taken an extended break in 2009 because I don't remember any of that... but thanks for keeping this forum afloat in whatever form...
zeeshan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks buddies.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: