TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

So...Dreamweaver
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lady Tygry

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:56 am    Post subject: So...Dreamweaver Reply with quote

I suck royally at it and I'm starting to wonder if it would be better to just commission someone to build the main website since I'll already be up to my neck this summer in preparing its content. Assuming I make a bunch of faux screenshots of how I want the design/layout to work, what would be a fair compensation and well, where/who should I go to request it? I was hoping DW would be user-friendly on the level that 1and1.com was but I'm worried too much time will have passed once I have the software figured out. I'm generally bad with most applications until someone spells it out for me. And if there are any fool-proof tutorials for Dreamweaver out there, feel free to send em my way. My layout will be following this sort of format.

Now, obviously, it won't be so bare bones. I just scribbled text to give the basic idea of a page layout since I'm still making graphics and all that jazz. The most complicated bit of script will be the cast page, which is similar to this: http://lackadaisy.foxprints.com/characters.html

Thanks as always,
KD

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deejay wrote:
okram wrote:
my website, 100% created in notepad!

Me too man, me too. FUCK dreamweaver.

That only works for people who know html; as for people like me, well, I need my crutches.

IRT: KEZ

I would definitely be interested. My only concern would be how well I would function once the training wheels are off, so to speak. Would you be able to help me in learning what I'll need in order to update in Dreamweaver via a program like this: http://www.thurinusworks.com/thurinusworks4/?sectionid=16 (Webcomic archival) J has already offered to assist me with his program since he doesn't have it packaged for download. I would also need you to pretty much be up my butt about what you need as far as layout, graphics, their resolution/size, etc. I'd want everything ready in advance.

KD

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simple question: Roughly how much time and/or cash do you want to dedicate to the web site design?
Lady Tygry

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jardel wrote:
Simple question: Roughly how much time and/or cash do you want to dedicate to the web site design?

For now, I'm playing it safe. There's no guarantee that anything will pick up, much less that I'll have readers who enjoy it. I've been playing with designs for about three months and I'd rather it be simple and basic than gaudy and so busy (in the artistic sense) that your eyes can't focus. Obviously, I don't want to be investing too much into something that isn't a sure thing, especially since I can barely know what my updates will entail past the next eighteen months. No sense in throwing money away towards something I may not be able to continue longterm, you know? Right now, I'm much more concerned about the content-- that's why the site will be up in the first place:)

IRT Elfkin:

Wow, that's very generous of you. I've had a look around sites that sell templates for low prices as well as free ones but I guess I'm not a great judge at picking out what sort of graphics can be removed, edited, yda yda. My only experience has been with 1and1 and even then, I had to bend around a lot of templates.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Lady Tygry"]
Jardel wrote:

For now, I'm playing it safe. There's no guarantee that anything will pick up, much less that I'll have readers who enjoy it. I've been playing with designs for about three months and I'd rather it be simple and basic than gaudy and so busy (in the artistic sense) that your eyes can't focus. Obviously, I don't want to be investing too much into something that isn't a sure thing, especially since I can barely know what my updates will entail past the next eighteen months. No sense in throwing money away towards something I may not be able to continue longterm, you know? Right now, I'm much more concerned about the content-- that's why the site will be up in the first place:) As for time, seven-eleven full work days would probably be doable but I'm slow with this sort of thing so that's not saying much.

IRT Elfkin:

Wow, that's very generous of you. I've had a look around sites that sell templates for low prices as well as free ones but I guess I'm not a great judge at picking out what sort of graphics can be removed, edited, yda yda. My only experience has been with 1and1 and even then, I had to bend around a lot of templates.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were you, I'd get a book from Visual Quickstart and start learning a little about code. The first incarnation of my site was with Dreamweaver tools. It was pretty ugly though it got the job done. I decided to learn the basics of code and completely built my new website using only code I wrote. It's much more satisfying and slightly less ugly. It just takes a bit of learning.

If you're looking for an easy way to do this without learning anything, I think there are even easier ways to do it than using Dreamweaver. If you keep on with Dreamweaver, I still highly recommend getting a book about code and learning about both as you go.
munkymu
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HTML is pretty darn easy. It's not even a programming language, it's just a bunch of formatting tags. If you've ever used the [img] and [url] tags on the forums... it's not much harder than that. All you have to do is figure out how to play with tables.

I made my pages in a text editor (emacs FTW!) One of these days I should probably get off my lazy butt and learn PHP or Ruby or something.
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pascal was great. It was like being taught to swim with gentle, friendly dolphins before being tossed into the piranha pool of C.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Casual Notice wrote:
Pfft...if you can do it in Fortran, RPG II, or Pascal, it's probably not worht doing...

Fix'd.

I'd recommend looking into learning a little HTML or just grabbing the first WYSWYG program you feel comfortable with. You can spend a long time on simple designs with either so it's best to have a clear idea in your head on what you want and how long you're going to spend on it.

Dreamweaver and Web Elements have some handy features if you don't want to spend a lot of time learning about code etc, personally I use HTML Kit for the preview function, but that's only good if you code by hand.
Jardel

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Casual Notice wrote:
Oh, sure, you can alter my statement but you can't edit the transposition in "worth". Rolling Eyes

Editors...
The typo makes it authentic. Besides, me correcting people on language skills is a major case of pot and kettle.
Lady Tygry

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

munkymu wrote:
HTML is pretty darn easy. It's not even a programming language, it's just a bunch of formatting tags. If you've ever used the [img] and [url] tags on the forums... it's not much harder than that. All you have to do is figure out how to play with tables.

I made my pages in a text editor (emacs FTW!) One of these days I should probably get off my lazy butt and learn PHP or Ruby or something.

Oh, don't get me wrong. I want to learn html and I get the bare basics (bold, italic, paragraph, etc) but what I want on the site, well-- even I know it's a bit more than I can handle given the deadline I've forced on myself. I still plan to learn it but I'm afraid if I put it off long enough to learn what I need to know, it'll never get done. I'd rather have the decent site first and learn code when I'm not rushed. I'll be starting grad school in the fall and I want to work on getting as much as I can into the archives so since I'll likely fall behind, I'll still have material to post.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bookofbiff wrote:
If you plan on making frequent updates and news posts then I would recommend using the blog software Wordpress with the ComicPress plugin.

http://mindfaucet.com/comicpress/

Thanks, I've looked at several different applications for updating webcomics
but this seems to be the most recommended. It doesn't really matter to me which one I use... so long as it works Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elfkin wrote:
Tygry... do you have to have a dynamic site. Or would you be okay with a static site that you manually update?

And does it have to be blog form?

Hmm, it's pretty much a dynamic site with static elements. But yeah, the regular updates will consist of a blog blurb.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Efewebber wrote:

PS: I also tried at some point using DW, it looks good but who cares, I didnt manage to find it for linux. In fact, I think there is something similar for linux I found, quanta or something like that.

I'm not too familiar with Linux but I think it's doable. My server host was recommended to me (along with Dreamweaver) by Chris Moujaes (who also uses DW) and the host seems to include Linux.
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might be able to run DW under Wine, if that's your cuppa tea.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: