TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FOUND: Missing (a name)/Looking For: Lunglovemakin a dolphin

View previous topic :: View next topic  
justender

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:16 pm    Post subject: FOUND: Missing (a name)/Looking For: Lunglovemakin a dolphin Reply with quote

I stumbled upon a post-apocalyptic webcomic that had a guy journaling about the end of the world; his (barely) surviving group was on an island, and they see a zombie(not really)/infected/crazy person who'd caught a dolphin and was lung-fucking the blowhole. One of their non-infected teens was out fishing, but too close. They put down the one crazy with a rifle shot, but 4-6 more crazies found another boat, and over-took the kid, and almost made it to the island, but the survivors blew them up/set them on fire with an underwater bomb.

Unfortunately, I never got a name for this comic, so it's too hard for me to find with google. I do have the images saved (somewhere), but no server-space to host them (to link to here with).

A name, or preferably a link to an archive would be good Smile

Last edited by justender on Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
iaviv

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be Crossed by Garth Ennis. Not sure which one exactly, as there are many issues and I understand that some was offered digitally (probably what you're looking for). I only read a bit, so I don't really remember much.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:49 pm    Post subject: Thanks! Reply with quote

Excellent. Thanks so much.

Found the wikipedia page, which gives enough info to tell me that I'm looking for the arc/series: Wish You Were Here

Obvs, adult-themes:
http://www.crossedcomic.com/webcomic/volume-1-chapter-1/2/
oppernaR
Uses a ruler for everything

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howdy chaps.
You'll notice I corrected a typo you made in the title (meaning: please keep the people in mind who browse the forum from work, thanks)

S*P*Q*R
-I use a ruler for everything.
justender

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:15 am    Post subject: re: censorship Reply with quote

Except for the fact that you've now made it impossible for someone like me to find the information using google (which was the boat I was in prior to this).

It'd be nice if there were a flag that I could use which would denote a post that's NSFW, and thus wouldn't show up for people who have their settings set that way... (ie: people in corporate servitude) but would show up for those of us who are free.

I understand why you're doing it - and it makes good sense on an individual site level; but in totality, it makes the net a dumber and less useful place.
Casual Notice
Spambot Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure if someone googles "dolphin lungfucking" then they're deserve disappointment.

Also, how could you forget that it was a Garth Ennis comic?
justender

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uhhh, I have no idea who he was. Now I know that he does that comic (maybe? I think the wiki page said he handed it off to others?)

I just clicked on a link, read some fun stuff, and it said: update some slow-ass time in the future, and figured I'd hit it again from history someday.

Totally got busy, computer had issues, you name it.

Story / images stuck with me though, so tried to find it.

Which means you have to search on what you remember. And, well that was memorable. And brings up nothing (the last time I tried it) when you search. Very disappointing. I succumbed and decided that along with the other webcomics I've lost, that I'd finally do the silly registration dance so I could be qualified as a person to be able to ask. I hate having accounts. And this one will eventually moulder away too when I get busy/bored.

But, if the content is on the net, and correctly indexed, I won't have to worry about whether I have an account, and whether there are people who remember the things I need help with.
vulpeslibertas
Level 1 threat

Location: Here and there...mostly there. Sometimes kinda in between.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

justender wrote:
...I'd finally do the silly registration dance so I could be qualified as a person to be able to ask. I hate having accounts. And this one will eventually moulder away too when I get busy/bored
heh heh heh. No, the other webcomic forum is where they qualify you as a person. Twisted Evil And in Webcomic List, account moulders you.
Spambot Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sit down, grampa's got some learnin' for ya'.

Back in the old days when comics were drawn on leaves using the charcoal sticks from last night's fire, a big, scary-ass british man name Alan Moore created a very minor character to use as a plot device in his Swamp Thing revisioning. See, the Swamp Thing had never quite hit it off as a tragic superhero and had languished on the back shelves for literally decades, but Alan Moore figured with his powers and his connection to nature, Swampy might be good for much mor that one-off teamups with batman and Superman to fight Solomon grundy and Killer Croc.

To this end, he dragged the Swamp Thing into DC's rich magicverse (an insanely expansive universe of characters and settings brought on, for the most part, by DC's purchas of EC Comics back in the 60's), he added a bit of Islington new age crap and made the Swamp Thing into a force to be reckoned with. Throw in Moore's attitude toward sex in comics at the time (plenty, often, and exlicit) and Swamp Thing became one of the first truly successful title direct-distributed to comics shaps (magazine bundlers used by book stores and other mainstream venues wouldn't touch anything not bearing a CCA labelat the time).

But how to keep Swampy in the fray? Historically, the Swamo Thing was not a world traveller, and the odds against heavy hitters like Lucifer, Jason Blood, and Doctor Fate just wandering into a small bayoui town southeats of New Orleans are astronomical. So, Moore introduced John Constantine. Constantine, in Moore's books, was just a plot device. He popped out of nowhere, tricked or convinced the Swamp Thing into some mission or conflict, then disappeared.

At some point Garth Ennis took a long look at Moore's creation, and decided that Constantine was exactly what Great Britatin needed. The Punk revolution was over and the nation was in the grips of the Thatcher Recovery (which, if I remember involved putting people to work by beating them over the head if they didn't accept the low salaries and crappy benefits offered). Ennis liked the idea of a guy who was involved but not engaged, who made the wheels turn, then stepped back to watch.

He got permission from Moore (I assume) to use his character (even though, due to creator contracts in the comics world at the time, Constantine was technically a DC property), and pitched the idea to DC. Along with a long list of artists, Enns turned COnstantine into exactly that person, with the addendum that he never quite pulled back any more, he always seemed to get his coat-tails caught in his own devices.

Despite a lot of splashing around in a lot of harmonic convergence crap and bonghit philosophy, Ennis made Constantine into a bizarrely successful character. You couldn't help liking him and rooting for him a little, even if you knew in your heart that if you ever knew a guy like him for real, you'd have to punch him, early and often. He went on to create or revolutionize a number of DC's magic and creepy characters, putting dirt under their fingernails and making them seem less off and more, "just blokes". He is, and I say this without any regrest, one of the most undersung writers of the Vertigo revolution, and you should be thankful he exists (if only because his work provided the world with another reason to revile Keanu Reeves).
iaviv

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He also wrote Preacher.
I really like The Boys. That's a great superhero comic (and I never use "great" and "superhero" in the same sentence).

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:44 pm    Post subject: leaves and sticks... Reply with quote

Quote:
Back in the old days when comics were drawn on leaves using the charcoal sticks from last night's fire

I have many, many of these leafy things. Many sleeved in processed dinosaur carcasses.

And in Soviet Russia the webcomics list you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: