TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Just finished the Mistborn series. What should I read next?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marscaleb

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:24 am    Post subject: Just finished the Mistborn series. What should I read next? Reply with quote

I just finished reading Hero of Ages, and with that, I have completed the Mistborn Trilogy.
First of all, if anyone here has not read those books, go pick them up and start reading them. They are amazing. Brandon Sanderson is an evil genius. Elantris is pretty dang good too.

So now I'm trying to decide what to read next, and I figure I might as well ask publicly for some suggestions.

Some things I'm considering:
More Brandon Sanderson; either Warbreaker or Alcatraz and the Evil Librarians.
A downloadable PS1 RPG for my PSP; Vagrant Story or maybe Breath of Fire IV.
Raymond Chandler's the High Window.
Orson Scott Card's Speaker for the Dead; but honestly, while it was good, I didn't enjoy Ender's Game as much as I did any of Sanderson's novels or Chandler's novels.
I've also got this bag full of Terry Goodkind novels that my mom got from someone who was just going to donate them to a thrift store. There's a lot of them but I don't know where I would want to begin.

So what would you guys suggest? I'm open to hear what you guys think I should read.
Kail

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For my two cents:

Haven't read Sanderson or Chandler, so can't really comment there.
There aren't a lot of RPGs I'd play because of the writing, and no JRPGs that I can think of. Can't speak specifically about BOF4 or Vagrant Story, though.
Speaker for the Dead was fine, but it's a very different piece than Ender's Game, and Card starts getting weirder and preachier as that series (and Bean's) goes on. So Speaker itself is in kind of a weird place, which makes it kinda hard for me to recommend.
Terry Goodkind has kind of a similar trajectory. Started out well (Wizard's First Rule was pretty good, I thought) but after that veered off a bit too far towards the whole "blood and rape and pain" kind of "edgy" fantasy for my tastes. At least, as far as I've read (Temple of the Winds, I think).
ttallan
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait, did you read Alloy of Law? It's part of the Mistborn world. If not, go read it now! The Way of Kings was also excellent, though you'll be demanding the sequel.

One series that I don't think enough people read is the Attolia series by Megan Whalen Turner. Start with The Thief. It's marketed as YA, but don't let that put you off. And while I'm recommending YA series, another one you might like is the Bartimaeus trilogy (actually there are four now) by Jonathan Stroud. The first one is Amulet of Samarkand.

Personally I couldn't stand Goodkind, but I know he's popular. I suppose Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time stuff would be the next obvious place to go.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttallan wrote:
Wait, did you read Alloy of Law? It's part of the Mistborn world. If not, go read it now! The Way of Kings was also excellent, though you'll be demanding the sequel.

Not yet, no. Honestly though, I kind of want to take a break from Mistborn and maybe even Sanderson for the next book I read. I unfortunately read very slowly (took me two years to get through Elantris, Ender's Game, and the Mistborn trilogy) and more unfortunately haven't read a lot in my adult life. So I'm kind-of in the mood to "broaden my experience" and read more authors and styles and so forth.
I'm sure I will read both of those, but I just think I might not make them the next book I read.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: