TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

So...Dreamweaver
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lady Tygry

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:56 am    Post subject: So...Dreamweaver Reply with quote

I suck royally at it and I'm starting to wonder if it would be better to just commission someone to build the main website since I'll already be up to my neck this summer in preparing its content. Assuming I make a bunch of faux screenshots of how I want the design/layout to work, what would be a fair compensation and well, where/who should I go to request it? I was hoping DW would be user-friendly on the level that 1and1.com was but I'm worried too much time will have passed once I have the software figured out. I'm generally bad with most applications until someone spells it out for me. And if there are any fool-proof tutorials for Dreamweaver out there, feel free to send em my way. My layout will be following this sort of format.

Now, obviously, it won't be so bare bones. I just scribbled text to give the basic idea of a page layout since I'm still making graphics and all that jazz. The most complicated bit of script will be the cast page, which is similar to this: http://lackadaisy.foxprints.com/characters.html

Thanks as always,
KD

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use dreamweaver, and gotta say, I love it. It works just like photoshop, but for websites. Wonderful, wonderful program.

BUT, if you're interested in having someone build your site for you, that's what I do, and for really cheap. Check here for details if you're interested. If you decide to go at it yourself, it's really not very hard at all. The trickiest part is having the image sources in the same folders as in your FTP, IMO. Good luck!
Level 1 threat

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my website, 100% created in notepad!

S*P*Q*R
Deejay

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

okram wrote:

Me too man, me too. FUCK dreamweaver.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deejay wrote:
okram wrote:

Me too man, me too. FUCK dreamweaver.

That only works for people who know html; as for people like me, well, I need my crutches.

IRT: KEZ

I would definitely be interested. My only concern would be how well I would function once the training wheels are off, so to speak. Would you be able to help me in learning what I'll need in order to update in Dreamweaver via a program like this: http://www.thurinusworks.com/thurinusworks4/?sectionid=16 (Webcomic archival) J has already offered to assist me with his program since he doesn't have it packaged for download. I would also need you to pretty much be up my butt about what you need as far as layout, graphics, their resolution/size, etc. I'd want everything ready in advance.

KD

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, that program looks to be totally separate from the code, more like a personal admin section than a huge part of the site, integrated with a few snippets of code here and there. But I couldn't tell you if I could help you use it, since I never have myself, and have only a little blurb to go on from the site on how it works. If it works anything like Comicgenesis or Drunkduck code, via PHP and config files, I doubt it's anything too hard. Just looks intimidating. Very Happy

After I make a site, I send the templates to the buyer, usually with notices "put this here" "add text here," etc. But in dreamweaver, since you have code view and image view, once the template is loaded you shouldn't have any trouble updating it. It's seriously as easy as point, click, type/insert.

Since you already have a design in mind, if you went ahead and finished it as a jpeg at the size you wanted it, with your favorite images and everything, I could cut and code that for you, or make a design using your favorite graphics. For the prices listed in my link above, the site I'd make would be pretty simple though. Elegant, but simple. My last commission I got done in about a week.

But really, once you start using dreamweaver, it is very simple. The way I learned was by downloading the source pages of other sites to see what did what, and I always use the split view, so I could learn the code too. The toolbar is awesome, as is the properties box. Those are all you really need to start. Fiddle around in there for an hour, and you'll see what I mean.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Notepad here as well, but a lot of the code isn't my own. I started off with a blog skin to set up the skeleton of my site, and then edited the code until I had what I have now.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simple question: Roughly how much time and/or cash do you want to dedicate to the web site design?
toydivision

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The great thing about dreamweaver is it's site organzing system- update a link on one page and the program will do it for every single page, so you don't have to.
Spambot Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I happily use MS Frontpage. If I had time, I would design a base site for you (as I love making websites), But I don't, so I can't. *shrug*

www.PSIwebcomic.com
www.TheShifterArchive.com
www.ArdraComic.com
www.WebcomicBeacon.com
Elfkin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

toydivision wrote:
The great thing about dreamweaver is it's site organzing system- update a link on one page and the program will do it for every single page, so you don't have to.

Microsoft's Web Elements does the same thing. (Web Elements is the next generation of Front Page) It has all the bells and whistles of Dreamweaver and an easier interface....though the interface ease is only my opinion. I have experience with both.

I don't like either for use on my sites. But I had a company I was contracting with for independent web design and maintenance. And they preferred I use either program to work from, instead of working straight out. They thought it would make it easier for their folks to upkeep whatever I created.

LOL!

As for this project.... have you looked for templates out there at webdesign forums for free use? I am sure there is one out there that will help you build fast.

I'll look for one for you today.
Awesome

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KEZ wrote:
I use dreamweaver, and gotta say, I love it. It works just like photoshop, but for websites. Wonderful, wonderful program.

And incidentally, Adobe bought out Macromedia so...
Lady Tygry

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jardel wrote:
Simple question: Roughly how much time and/or cash do you want to dedicate to the web site design?

For now, I'm playing it safe. There's no guarantee that anything will pick up, much less that I'll have readers who enjoy it. I've been playing with designs for about three months and I'd rather it be simple and basic than gaudy and so busy (in the artistic sense) that your eyes can't focus. Obviously, I don't want to be investing too much into something that isn't a sure thing, especially since I can barely know what my updates will entail past the next eighteen months. No sense in throwing money away towards something I may not be able to continue longterm, you know? Right now, I'm much more concerned about the content-- that's why the site will be up in the first place:)

IRT Elfkin:

Wow, that's very generous of you. I've had a look around sites that sell templates for low prices as well as free ones but I guess I'm not a great judge at picking out what sort of graphics can be removed, edited, yda yda. My only experience has been with 1and1 and even then, I had to bend around a lot of templates.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Lady Tygry"]
Jardel wrote:

For now, I'm playing it safe. There's no guarantee that anything will pick up, much less that I'll have readers who enjoy it. I've been playing with designs for about three months and I'd rather it be simple and basic than gaudy and so busy (in the artistic sense) that your eyes can't focus. Obviously, I don't want to be investing too much into something that isn't a sure thing, especially since I can barely know what my updates will entail past the next eighteen months. No sense in throwing money away towards something I may not be able to continue longterm, you know? Right now, I'm much more concerned about the content-- that's why the site will be up in the first place:) As for time, seven-eleven full work days would probably be doable but I'm slow with this sort of thing so that's not saying much.

IRT Elfkin:

Wow, that's very generous of you. I've had a look around sites that sell templates for low prices as well as free ones but I guess I'm not a great judge at picking out what sort of graphics can be removed, edited, yda yda. My only experience has been with 1and1 and even then, I had to bend around a lot of templates.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were you, I'd get a book from Visual Quickstart and start learning a little about code. The first incarnation of my site was with Dreamweaver tools. It was pretty ugly though it got the job done. I decided to learn the basics of code and completely built my new website using only code I wrote. It's much more satisfying and slightly less ugly. It just takes a bit of learning.

If you're looking for an easy way to do this without learning anything, I think there are even easier ways to do it than using Dreamweaver. If you keep on with Dreamweaver, I still highly recommend getting a book about code and learning about both as you go.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: