TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ComicPress versus WebComic & InkBlot?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sailorptah

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:18 am    Post subject: ComicPress versus WebComic & InkBlot? Reply with quote

I've been using ComicPress for Wordpress for a year and a half now. On the one hand, it's done everything I needed it to. On the other hand, I chose it because I was under the impression that it was the only serious option out there.

Since then, I've seen some excellent sites using WebComic & InkBlot. And it seems to have at least one useful function ComicPress doesn't -- easy hosting of multiple comics, each with their own navigation, through the same basic frontend. (Unless there's a way to do this in CP that I haven't found?)

Can anyone who has experience with both WC and CP talk about the differences? And is there one that you would say is better overall, or does it depend on which features an individual user would rather have?

Looking forward to hearing what people think =)
vaslittlecrow

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neither. Go with Comic Easel, seriously:
http://comiceasel.com/

It's by one of the creators of ComicPress. It's up to date security wise, it's more up to date, the templates are really nice and it does everything Webcomic does without the bloatiness of CP.

I switched all of my ComicPress sites to Comic Easel. I haven't switched my Webcomic sites though, since they work just fine.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a pretty serious rec. And from the website, it looks promising. Definitely going to consider switching.

Are there any specific things you like that Webcomic and Easel do but CP doesn't? Besides the multiple-comics-on-one-interface thing?
vaslittlecrow

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My biggest thing is that Comic Easel and Webcomic is that they load much faster and that the code is cleaner. A lot less widget clutter too. Comic Easel has supports tagging characters and locations and gets updated regularly.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vaslittlecrow wrote:
Neither. Go with Comic Easel, seriously:
http://comiceasel.com/

I just started my comic with ComicPress, but I noticed when Cwen's Quest moved to their own site, they used Comic Easel and it was able to do one thing that Comic Press wasn't: have multiple comic pages on one day. (I had to have the comics I opened with spread out across the previous day.)

What else does Easel offer that ComicPress does not? It would be a bit of a hassle to transition between the two
ewomack
Grand prize winner!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to go to Comic Press but I found it kind of clunky and the update schedule is on geologic time, so I decided to just stick with my homegrown site. But I haven't heard a peep about Comic Easel until now... I will have to check it out... thank you for posting!
Bill Murphy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started my website a month and a half ago. I have absolutely no experience with building a website. I chose Comicpress because the majority of Websites I visit are "Powered by Wordpress with ComicPress". Shortly into setting up my website with Comicpress it was strongly suggested by ComicPress that Comic Easel was what everyone needs to transfer over to. Since I had already begun setting up my website, I just continued with ComicPress.
sailorptah

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just made the switch from ComicPress to Comic Easel! There's a handy separate plugin that reconfigures your comics to the new program, and after that it was all screwing with ticky boxes and restructuring the CSS.

There were some moments of panic when I wondered if the site was going to be Broken Forever. But in the end it only took a couple of hours to have everything set up, and most of that was about fully restoring fine details in the layout.

Very happy with it all so far ^_^
Bill Murphy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm happy to hear that. Smile
Please update this thread if anything happens good or bad. It sounds like ComicPress is being phased out for Comic Easel. I'm sure I'll have to make the move as well but for now I'm happy just knowing that my website with ComicPress is working. I'm not ready to rock the boat.
sailorptah

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I've hit on the first big drawback to Comic Easel: no automatic uploading utility (yet. Word on the forum is that it's a feature in progress).

With ComicPress, you can upload files in batches, and it'll set the titles and dates/times of the associated posts based on information in the filename, and it's easy to replace old files from the same interface. With Comic Easel, you have to create each post individually and set all that information manually, even if it's in the filename.

I only post three days a week, and finish pages pretty irregularly, so it's not as much of a hassle as it might have been. But for someone on a six- or seven-day-a-week schedule, or anyone who frequently uploads in bulk, I'd still recommend ComicPress on that alone.
Marscaleb

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sailorptah wrote:
Okay, I've hit on the first big drawback to Comic Easel: no automatic uploading utility (yet. Word on the forum is that it's a feature in progress).

I don't do batch uploads, I still upload individually, but I upload way in advance. Is Easel not able to let me post a future date/time for the post to be published?
vaslittlecrow

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marscaleb: I have a month long buffer for my webcomic and Comic Easel has been handling it just fine.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ability to queue posts for the future is a basic part of Wordpress. You can do that with no plugins at all.

But the Comicpress plugin had features that made it easier and faster for webcomic creators. You could tell it what time your comic updated -- say, midnight -- and it would automatically set all comic posts to go live at midnight. Whereas with Comic Easel, you have to manually set the time on every. single. post.
Marscaleb

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sailorptah wrote:
Whereas with Comic Easel, you have to manually set the time on every. single. post.

Well that's a little inconvenient, but since I have to tell it what day to post it anyway, not that inconvenient.
sailorptah

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marscaleb wrote:
Well that's a little inconvenient, but since I have to tell it what day to post it anyway, not that inconvenient.

With ComicPress, you don't! You just use the date as the filename, and it automatically queues the comic where and when you need it to be. One click ("Upload") covers date, time, chapter, everything.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: