TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lack of RL success is sapping my will to draw
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
zeeshan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, some are lucky to make a living off of it, but I bet no one is making a GREAT living off of a web comic. These people have had some form of luck that elevated them up to another level of exposure.

Last edited by zeeshan on Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:23 am; edited 2 times in total
vaslittlecrow

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zeeshan: I beg to differ. I had a burlesque show based on my webcomics for several years that allowed a very comfortable lifestyle, until I had an career-ending injury. A good friend moved to a beach front apartment (no debt,) because his monthly income from ad revenues and ebooks that he sold on his webcomic site was that substantial. Here's a list of profitable webcomics if you are interested: http://culturepulp.typepad.com/culturepulp/webcomicslecture.html

It's not necessarily luck, though it helps. It's good marketing, good networking and effective merchandising.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vaslittlecrow wrote:
http://culturepulp.typepad.com/culturepulp/webcomicslecture.html

That guy pushes that book a little too much. From what I can see, his research is that book, personal experience, and 2 interviews.

He makes good points, but I don't think one book and two interviews is going to give a detailed view of how to 'make it'. There's also the point that making it is subjective. Some people might take making it as making enough money that the site(s) make income instead of taking it. Others take making it as making enough money to live comfortably without having a day job.

If he expanded his research to say 5-10 books and 20-30 interviews, I think it'd have more weight.

Though anyway, your point about there being successful webcomikers very true.
wendyw
The Bomb-diggity

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zeeshan wrote:
Of course, some are lucky to make a living off of it, but I bet no one is making a GREAT living off of a web comic. These people have had some form of luck that elevated them up to another level of exposure.

It depends what you consider a great living and my idea of a great living is probably at the lower end of the scale, but still there are definitely a few people that even by most other people's standards are making a great living at webcomics.

There's not a lot of them, sure, but they do exist and I think it's a little unfair to credit the success that people have had on luck. Luck is a factor in anything to some extent, but more important than that are skill and hard work.

Blog
vaslittlecrow

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nsanelilmunky: I realize this. The article was mostly provided to name the comics that have made it without me having to make a redundant post. That is why I also mentioned personal experience, and the experience of a friend. Also, webcomics is an arts field, subject to similar rules of merchandising and multidisciplinary cross-marketing. Historically, it is difficult though not at all impossible to make it in the arts and make an acceptable living. The reason it seems like "no one" is making it, (which is a load of crock,) is the rather unfortunate combination of market over-saturation, and the majority of artists engaging in poor marketing or bad business practices. This is essentially the same problem as that of the music industry's, only in ours most our success stories are not really known outside of the Internet, thus creating even less awareness of those who make it.

wendyw: I am in complete agreement with you! Between $10,000 and $45,000 is what I consider a very comfortable living as a housewife in the country. That's what I was making when I was able to perform and sell merchandise at live events. I am changing my business model to concentrate on recouping the massive loss I took during the last two years that I've had to deal with being disabled and unable to travel extensively.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> Webcomics and Real Life All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: