TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ComicPress/General Web Hosting Questions
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snotnarok

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear your problem got worked out pretty quickly, I dabbled a bit with Comicpress figuring it'd be easier than making my own site and it probably would have been. But your right their forums at the time and now are just a giant spam dump and I think the team is split up doing their own stuff, however one might be working on another plug-in for comics, however I can't verify that.

To finish my thought (A.D.D. derp!) I turned to my website making abilities regardless just seemed like the better option at least for control reasons.
No! Don't post it there!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it kinda is a young person thing in a lot of cases, having had a lot of time to spend looking around on the web and messing with things on the computer.

Hm when I was a kid we just had a C64 so I guess that explains the look of my site designs. :D

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that's kind of a hard question to answer. For me the moment my teacher in school said 'we're going to learn how to create websites' I was researching on my own and in a week I knew more than him in a year I was making them for businesses. Then I found out Flash can help you make a nice website nicer so that got put on the list too.

How did I get this knowledge? Well I did a lot of research and built a lot of websites, my own site actually went through 3 redesigns as I got better.

A great starting place is w3schools.com, I assume they're still around that's where I first learned some of the HTML basics. Learn basic html and then try a program like dreamweaver if you're interested. Learning code will help in the long run.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iaviv wrote:
Everything you need to know is online and is free. Just google it. That's how I learned these things. It takes times, naturally, but if something is important enough for you you'll spend that time.

What you say is very true. Time, willingness to learn is what it takes, and typically it pays off.

Though OP if you do like the way your site looks and functions (and your readers as well) you shouldn't feel pressured to do something.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To address Wonderbrat31
In all fairness, learning HTML is easy!

When I was on comicgenesis, my site literally was
Code:
<head>
Oh jeeez webcomic title!
</head>

<body>
A comic!
</body>

The syntax of html is very linear and logical. And in all seriousness if one can use the text/paragraph style buttons used here when writing a post, you're literally good to go.

BUT: html sucks when it comes to the placement of objects around a page so css is used to DEFINE where things should go and how they should be done, with html just being used to say "it exists".

With wordpress and the plug-ins that exist, we are given acess to the database that controls not only what (html) where and how (css) but also can manipulate this information dynamically. There are (nearly) no static pages, just lots of references on "how to build a page" as it were.

I found that quite a big leap when you think about it. There are NO static pages, everything is made up via reference. It'd be like a map of say, London, made up by every street and building telling your computer it exists and updated as new roads and buildings are made...without anyone doing a single thing! No wonder such a big deal was made about web 2.0

Hell, I'm rusty so I need to re-learn this stuff.
----------------------------
Saying that, Comicpress does feel like jumping in the deep end, there is some documentation and faqs out there, but because the code is defined by css, the team's logic (and now Frumph's) is not MY logic which makes a lesson in reverse-engineering more than anything.

You can cheat and just use html and css via the widgets though. Smile

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wrote to Frumph with our concerns about ComicPress' future:
Quote:
Hi Philip,

I've just spent many hours re-designing my site and moving lock, stock and barrel to Wordpress with ComicPress. I'm happy with the result and I'd like to thank you for such an excellent plugin.
However, reading through various webcomic forums it seems that the general consensus is that ComicPress has been abandoned. There have been no updates for ages, v3.0 never appeared and the forums are now the haunt of spambots.
Please say it isn't true! Am I going to have undo all my work and start again using another webcomic plugin? Nooooooooo!

Best regards,
(NobbyNobody)
www.odd-fish.net

I just got an email back from him:
Quote:
I havent updated it in 10 months cause it doesnít need any updating right now and Iím still supporting it and working with it constantly.

So that's OK then!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear it worked out!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, hosting wise, I will say to stay well clear of Bluehost. A few years ago, they used to be a good hosting company, but this past twelve months have been a nightmare.
They severely CPU throttle any websites they host that use Wordpress/ Comicpress, and I've seen a huge move, of webcomic sites, from their servers to other companies.
They seem to favor their Asian clients who have small (poorly) html coded sites (most of them being sites that sell knock-off/ fake copies of brand products and use fake news links and spam-links to bring in unsuspecting people to their sites).
They also suffer from a lot of downtime, due to major server issues, as they obviously are trying to cram in so many small sites, to make more money from the yearly account fees.

I, myself, have seen my site being crippled by their throttling issues, and I feel that my readership will remain low if I stay with them, hence why I am migrating my site to another company (either inmotion or hub).
They also constantly bitch and whine about the Project Wonderful widget, and they also kick up about widget and plug-in usage.

So, if any of you plan to chance hosting companies, don't go near Bluehost, unless you are happy to see your readership nose-dive and your site go constantly offline.
Gual-kun

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iaviv wrote:
wonderbrat31 wrote:
Well, iaviv and CMorgan, I can tell you that I upgraded to WP 3.3 and had zero issues, and it fixed my problem of not being able to add text to my ComicPress posts.

Alright, I trusted your word on the upgrade thing and finally did it. Nothing bad happened yay! The dashboard looks a bit different, I guess I need to explore the difference now. Thanks!
I'm hesitating on upgrading too... Wish me luck for when I do it XD
Grand prize winner!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a comic press site (yet), but my understanding is that if you use a child theme the updates shouldn't effect layouts at all. Did people still see problems when using child themes?
AndrewBCrisp

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

Thanks to a better-than-expected tax return, I'm in a position to move my comic from Webcomics Nation (where it seems universally agreed was a bad place to start from) to a site of my own. I'm planning to use Wordpress / Comicpress, and I'm thinking of using Wordpress.Org as my host. I have a lot of questions, but there are a few I'd like to ask right away before I plunk money down on a host.

1. In general, can Comicpress be installed to a Wordpress.org hosted blog? I know one has to pay for custom design and premium themes, but I've heard rumors that the Comicpress plugin either may not be allowed or may not mesh properly.
2. Again in the rumors category, there is some confusion over whether a wordpress.org or a wordpress.com blog would be better for Comicpress. Is one more suited than the other, or does it matter?
3. Just how much programming knowledge will be needed to get Comicpress up and running on a Wordpress-hosted blog? I'm familiar with HTML and have some (crude) knowledge of CSS, but php and mySQL are a mystery to me. Should I look into getting someone to manage my site for me?
4. Any other general (newbie) concerns I should know about?

Thank you in advance.
iser77

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew, in answer of your questions
1) Wordpress.org is not a host, it's a content management system (CMS) that you install on your own host. You need to buy hosting to use Wordpress.org (e.g. from GoDaddy ro MediaTemple or HostGator etc).
Wordpress.com provides both the CMS and the hosting, but you can't use ComicPress with it.
ComicPress comes with its own themes (or child themes). There are about 5 or 6 child themes, which gives you a basic customization point, but from there you'll need some CSS and PHP in case you want to further customize your site.
2) You can't use ComicPress with WordPress.com as far as I know (if someone else knows differently please correct me)
3) For a basic site you don't need to have any programming knowledge, but in the long run you will want to customize your ComicPress based site (otherwise it will look like 99% of the other sites that use ComicPress).

If you want to know more about your hosting options, I wrote some articles about it in the past. They may be a bit outdated but they'll give you the general pros and cons for each of the hosting options:
Generic overview:
http://www.yourowncomic.com/2010/06/hosting-your-webcomic.html
Free comic hosting service review:
http://www.yourowncomic.com/2010/07/free-comics-hosting-services.html
Hosted blogging services review:
http://www.yourowncomic.com/2010/08/hosted-blogging-platforms.html
Self hosting review:
http://www.yourowncomic.com/2010/09/self-hosting-your-webcomic.html

One last note, I personally have been using Blogger to host my webcomics (http://www.csectioncomics.com) for years, and it was a good option to start with (cheap yet flexible). I recently switched to self hosted WordPress + ComicPress, and so far loving every minute of it.

Good luck!
AndrewBCrisp

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi iser, thanks for your replies and for the links. These should help considerably.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> Webcomic Gubbins All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: