TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best Way to Read Webcomics?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MattEllis8

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:11 pm    Post subject: Best Way to Read Webcomics? Reply with quote

Hi. My webcomic, The Man of Many Shades, is set up in a blog format, but I'm thinking of changing it. I hear a lot of talk about comic readers for smartphones and the iPad; how can I make my comic accessible to them?

Also, if I put a folder of jpgs on my site, would anyone bother downloading it? My thinking is that people can download all the jpgs at once and read the comic however they choose, but I'm just speculating. Would that be something webcomic readers would like?
vaslittlecrow

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Comic Easel or Webcomic plugins would be the easiest way to switch formats for your site. They both work pretty well on smart phones and the iPad in my experience, though sidebars can make it look weird on smaller smartphones.

Unless you want your server and webhost to hate you, I suggest putting a PDF with the files as one book instead of a folder full of JPGS. It's lot less bandwidth and CPUs to worry about.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just checked out your comic on my iPhone. I like the often-very-simplistic-but-occasionally-complex-drawings-juxtaposed-with-adult-themes aesthetic!

As a phone user, I feel like there's too much going on width-wise. It plays well on my computer screen but I have to hold my phone sideways to make it big enough to read the text, and then it's still too small to enjoy the art as much as I want. I don't think I'd recommend redesigning your style to suit phones though, because it's working pretty well as is.

Oh shit I just reread your post and realized this isn't what you were asking for. Damn, well, maybe it'll be useful anyways!

I'll also say that new readers are lazy and urging them to download something to read your comic might not go so well. But that's just speculation- if you do do it, you should report back here and tell us how it went!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey, thanks for responding! Both of you were really helpful. i'm finishing up the 4th issue now, but after that I'm going to do some research in Comic Easel and uploading a pdf. i'll let you know how it goes!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: