TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Photo reference for comic artists
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tomas_prfca

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:09 pm    Post subject: Photo reference for comic artists Reply with quote

Hello comic fans! Smile

We run site focused on comic artists. Here are some free samples, enjoy them Wink
More samples here >> http://www.photo-reference-for-comic-artists.com/?id=15
Have a great and creative day! Any comments are welcome.

Chilari
Spambot Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, useful.
Zoe Robinson
Resident Diet Lawyer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, this does look useful...

Tskingdom

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Find a synonym, find a synonym...Oh what the heck) Looks pretty useful.
cwrann

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks propitious.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Say, this reminds me: Did you guys know that Joe Quesada of Marvel comics uses a cheap point and shoot camera and is his own model?

And Ex Machina artist Tony Harris uses his friends and family.

Granted, both of these guys have put in a lot of work doing life drawing and and anatomy studies over the years. So they know how to use their photo-references properly.

Greg Land... he doesn't use it properly.
orbdragon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woohoo! I'm all about reference material! I usually just use DAZ3d for that, but photos are so much better Very Happy
Resident Diet Lawyer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

William George wrote:
Say, this reminds me: Did you guys know that Joe Quesada of Marvel comics uses a cheap point and shoot camera and is his own model?

Most artists use a model or mannequin of some sort.

The majority of the iconic Lord of the Rigns oil paintings from the 1970s were posed by models. Having seen the original photos, I can't look at the pictures of Gandalf now without seeing a guy dressed in a bedsheet with a bit of card rolled into a cone on his head.

Gregori
VVVVRVVVVVRG!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a great site. Really reasonably priced too.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zoe Robinson wrote:
William George wrote:

Most artists use a model or mannequin of some sort.

Very true.

I just find it very interesting and inspiring that a... from the look of his home... millionaire-or-close-enough comic book artist like Joe Q relies on DIY modeling methods and his own training to work from rather than pay for the same prefab poses that everyone else using them will be drawing.

Quote:
...Having seen the original photos, I can't look at the pictures of Gandalf now without seeing a guy dressed in a bedsheet with a bit of card rolled into a cone on his head.

Hah! But seriously, isn't that how we all spend our weekends?

Or is that just me?
Zoe Robinson
Resident Diet Lawyer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="William George"]I just find it very interesting and inspiring that a... from the look of his home... millionaire-or-close-enough comic book artist like Joe Q relies on DIY modeling methods and his own training to work from rather than pay for the same prefab poses that everyone else using them will be drawing.

To be honest with you, I'm not at all surprised. He knows how it's all done, so why pay for it? He can get exactly the pose he wants, so why settle for second best? The technique got him where he is today, so why change it? To me, those are the valid questions that would lead him down this path.

William George wrote:
Hah! But seriously, isn't that how we all spend our weekends?

Or is that just me?

I always preferred not to wear a tube of card on my head. It would get knocked off by trees when diving for cover, for a start.

tomas_prfca

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot gyus! I'm glad that you like our content Smile You can also take a look on our brand new photos of models in war costumes from Civil War, World War I. and II. You can download and enjoy free package of these photos (7 photos) by clicking on them:

Please let me know how you like these 'war costumes' photos Smile Thanks!

TomasP
photo-reference-for-comic-artists.com
tweetics

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

William George wrote:

And Ex Machina artist Tony Harris uses his friends and family.

Greg Land... he doesn't use it properly.

And neither does Rob Liefeld...

There was an issue of Starman that Harris did that had the entire deceased JLA sitting at a dinner table. Every member of this table were people that I believe either he or James Robinson knew.
Alex Ross, as well, uses life models for all of his work.
Spambot Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick question: which Civil war would that be? Only a lot of countries have had a civil war. I'm assuming the American civil war, because it usually is because Americans sometimes forget the existance of other countries, but we had one too, in the seventeenth century, and the French had one, and the Spanish, and, well, lots of countries have had civil wars at various points in their history.

Also I would quite like to see photos of people dressed in English civil war clothing. Not something you see much, unless you go to Boscobel House, but it's a long way away and I don't have time for that kind of thing.

Mind you, technically, the War of the Roses, back when Henry VII fought Richard III for the throne could be classed as a civil war, though a lot of the troops weren't English, they were mercenaries from France and Scotland and various other places. Even so. I'd like to see clothing from that war too. Admittedly, the Bosworth Battlefield Heritage Centre isn't that far away, but I haven't got a car, so getting there would be difficult since the nearest train station is in Nuneaton, and that's still several miles away.

And there are other wars I'd love to see costumes from. I could just watch Sharpe for the Napoleonic Wars costumes, but those are pretty cool, and I find I am ever so slightly distracted from looking at costumes by the existance of the story and, of course, Sean Bean as the attractive no-nonsense title character.

I'm gonna stop rambling now. I do admire the attempt to bring more costumes to the project, though. Best of luck in the future.
tomas_prfca

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chilari wrote:
Quick question: which Civil war would that be? Only a lot of countries have had a civil war. I'm assuming the American civil war, because it usually is because Americans sometimes forget the existance of other countries, but we had one too, in the seventeenth century, and the French had one, and the Spanish, and, well, lots of countries have had civil wars at various points in their history.

Also I would quite like to see photos of people dressed in English civil war clothing. Not something you see much, unless you go to Boscobel House, but it's a long way away and I don't have time for that kind of thing.

Mind you, technically, the War of the Roses, back when Henry VII fought Richard III for the throne could be classed as a civil war, though a lot of the troops weren't English, they were mercenaries from France and Scotland and various other places. Even so. I'd like to see clothing from that war too. Admittedly, the Bosworth Battlefield Heritage Centre isn't that far away, but I haven't got a car, so getting there would be difficult since the nearest train station is in Nuneaton, and that's still several miles away.

And there are other wars I'd love to see costumes from. I could just watch Sharpe for the Napoleonic Wars costumes, but those are pretty cool, and I find I am ever so slightly distracted from looking at costumes by the existance of the story and, of course, Sean Bean as the attractive no-nonsense title character.

I'm gonna stop rambling now. I do admire the attempt to bring more costumes to the project, though. Best of luck in the future.

Hey there, thanks for suggs. Civil war shown on our pics is from American history. We focused manily on the biggest incidents. But anyway thanks for commenting. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> The Dogpile All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum