TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Avengers

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Casual Notice
Spambot Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 12:46 am    Post subject: The Avengers Reply with quote

Dunno if this has come out in Europe, yet, but it came out yesterday in the US. Just went to see it and it is awesome. Without giving away any real spoilers, I will mention that Marvel films is now on their third Bruce Banner, and I will remind everyone else that this film was written by Joss Whedon, whose projects have two constants:
(1) Insanely smart, funny dialogue, and,
(2) Some minor, but universally-loved character is going to die.

Feel free to talk amongst yourselves.
orbdragon

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: The Avengers Reply with quote

Casual Notice wrote:

(2) Some minor, but universally-loved character is going to die.

I may have shed a tear or two.
Max Vaehling

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has come out in Europe (or at least parts of it) ahead of the US. I watched it last Wednesday. Downside is, we didn't get that second after-credits scene.

Amyway, I expected some compromise seeing as this is one big franchise, but the movie is pretty much in line with the awesomeness that is Joss Whedon's work. Loved it!

Still cracking up every time Those Two Hulk Scenes come to mind...

Webcomics - Blog - Twitter
Spamwise

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This movie had something the X-men movies neglected: full-on brawling between the heroes. In the comics, Wolverine and Hercules would go toe-to-toe after a bender, Reed Richards would have to physically restrain an out-of-control Ben Grimm, and the Hulk pretty much beat up everybody who got in his way. I really enjoyed the fact that these guys are used to being able to do whatever they want, how they want, and came to blows trying to persuade each other.
vaslittlecrow

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing I didn't like was the excessive use of throwaway Whedonisms in the second half of the movie. Otherwise, it was phenomenal and I really enjoyed it.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what i found most amazing was that with the exception of the first iron man, this movie was better (imo) than all the movies that led up to it. you would have thought, and i certainly expected, that trying to cram all these heroes into one movie was going to make for a worse, not better, movie.

Read Sad Elephant Comics here.

Follow me on Twitter or Facebook.
Casual Notice
Spambot Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I disagree with your assessment of the other movies, it helped that the movie didn't have to get bogged down in origin stories. It just picks up where Thor and Captain America ended and assumes that anyone watching has either seen or heard of those movies.

As far as whether the movies were "good", I'm not sure you're giving the individual characters a fair shake. The Ang Lee Hulk went a little too deep into Bruce Banner's "abuse survivor" background, but The Incredible Hulk corrected some of that and improved on the established relationship between Banner and Betty Ross. Admittedly, both movies were more whining self-recrimination than romping punch-fest, but the Hulk comics were always a littl whiney. Taken together, both Hulk films were the weakest of the bunch, but they served their purpos in expressing the origins and driving forces behind the character.

Thor was pretty much a reboot of the character. While keeping the basic elements of the character's origin, they dispensed with the Donald Blake alter ego (Thor uses Blake as an alias, but isn't actually trapped in the crippled doctor's body), but overall, the film stayed true to the character. Thor, in the film and the comic, is portrayed as a big dumb frat boy who means well, but often allows his temper and enthusiasm to overwhelm good sense (this is also the case in Avengers, but is subsumed by the battle between Captain America's sense of duty and Tony Stark's Ego).

Captain America did a lot with a very difficult subject. I actually came out of that film liking Cap and Steve Rogers a lot more than I went into it. Admittedly, the film was unabashedly nationalistic, but Cap was, in the 40's unabashedly nationalistic (remembering that, at the time, people from the United States had no issues with saying "America" and meaning only that part between the Rio Grande and the 42nd Parallel).

Captain America, besides establishing the Cap character, also established the primary basis for the film (the reimagined cosmic cube as an inexhaustible energy source/dimensional gateway), and even, subtly, established the basis of a S.H.I.E.L.D. movie by introducing (admittedly, in offhand fashion) the Howling Commandos, all of whom later become SHIELD agents (and yes, Whedon's use of Cobie Smulders and the introduction of the Council in the Avengers film almost guarantee that there will be a SHIELD film...possibly following the plot of the early ninetie graphic novel).

So while a film's "goodness" is an entirely subjective measure, you can't really say that any of the films were unsuccessful, since they all pretty much fulfilled their purpose of being entertaining while re-establishing well-loved and -known characters for a widely disparate audience.
Kirby Miller SK

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got to check out the Avengers last night. I have to say I was really impressed. I thought Mark Ruffalo's portrayal of the Hulk was the best out of any of the movies.

http://kirbymillerserialkiller.com
Kirby Miller SK

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got to check out the Avengers last night. I have to say I was really impressed. I thought Mark Ruffalo's portrayal of the Hulk was the best out of any of the movies.

http://kirbymillerserialkiller.com
kareldsouza

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is one of my favorite movie. I love the role the role of all character.The story seems to be good.I like in this type of movie........
AmandaTally

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We all really enjoyed ourselves when we went to see it. It was exactly what I wanted it to be—funny and exciting in equal parts with plenty of awesome stunts! The only thing missing was Edward Norton. 8( Although I begrudgingly have to admit that the new actor did a good job.
thegooddoctor

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'd go so far to say that he stole the movie. he was the best part about it as far as i was concerned.

Read Sad Elephant Comics here.

Follow me on Twitter or Facebook.
jazylh

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seen it 5 times already. Still can't get enough of the Awesomeness. Loved the quirky dialogues. I didn't feel they were overdone at all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: