TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

how to use twitter ?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tommi2

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:17 pm    Post subject: how to use twitter ? Reply with quote

my problem is that i have twitter page for my webcomic gunmonkey
http://www.twitter.com/twtommi (comic itself is in http://gunmonkey.kissagalleria.com/ ) and i have only 10 followers. how you guys get more followers? i have tried to retweet posts, write all kind of rubbish there (it could be that my twitter page is most boring twitter page ever... maybe that it the problem?).

i am drawing just for fun and to get rid of my angst and i don't believe my comics great success, but still i like to try get readers and of course have little dream that maybe in some day i can quit my dayjob. now i don't have many readers. most of them are from this forum.

so, if i want to use twitter to get more readers, how i do it? i don't want to be impolite or do any dirty stuff, just advertise ...
Gual-kun

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that's a nice question. I'm new on this just like you and I wonder the same. I don't know if there is a "technique" for that, tho.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just tweet and make friends. The more I tweet, the more followers I get. It's that simple.
tommi2

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds simple. but i wonder how people will find my tweets? if i just tweet, my "all ten followers" are only people who will read those tweets?
AndrewBCrisp

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want your tweets to be seen by more than just your followers, I suggest using some "hashtags" - words tacked on to the end of your tweet that have a # symbol ahead of them (#example). The hashtag should be relevant to the tweet. People will sometimes search for a given hashtag and get all recent tweets associated with it.

For example, when I announce a new page of my webcomic is up, I usually put the hashtags "#webcomics" and "#Obstacles" (the comic name) in the tweet.

If someone who finds one of your tweets via hashtag likes it, you might get a new follower or two.

Remember that hashtags do use up some of your character limit, and that punctuation cannot be used in a hashtag.

Hope this helps (or at least that I'm not explaining the obvious... Embarassed )
CMorgan
^_^

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Andrew-

I too am light on the twitter followers. I thought hashtags were kinda dumb but just recently i started using them for the hell of it. I hash tagged to a comic convention I went to and linked an article. It got retweeted to 3,500 people. Needless to say I was shocked and I got a few followers and now readers out of it. It was very good for exposure.
So yeah, I think if you want new followers its hash tags, relevance, and Luck, haha.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you very much... i had never even heard about hashtags. i will try those.
Luke

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Send @ replies to people you follow. Start a conversation.
The Bomb-diggity

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luke wrote:
Send @ replies to people you follow. Start a conversation.

Indeed. Treat it firstly as a way to chat with awesome comic folk and let it go from there. There are a few people, both comic folks and others, who I'd never have got to know at all if it wasn't for talking to them on Twitter.

So yeah, if someone posts a link to an article or something that you find interesting and you've got some thoughts on it then reply to them. Chat. That's what it's for.

Blog
raines80

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am new to the whole twitter realm as well. I happy to see someone posted a tip in here. I will use the hash tag thing as well. Thanks for the tip @greattwittertip hash tagged! lol

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another tip: Treat lightly on the DMs. Only use them when necessary, unless you fancy being labelled a spammer.
smbhax.com
No! Don't post it there!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm bad at Twitter and more or less refuse to use hashtags non-ironically. #dumbtwit

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smbhax: actually you are my role model in twitter and for everything. my son (17 years old) said to me "this comic is so much better than yours".. (meaning A* vs gunmonkey.. ) . i agree.
smbhax.com
No! Don't post it there!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh man, I appreciate that :), but I'm a horrible Twitter role model! The really popular webcomic Twitter people I stalk seem to have a constant stream of clever jokes (okay, maybe some cat jokes too :/) and links they post for people, which seems to be working for them in terms of followers and re-tweets and the like. Of course, they also have humor comics, so I suppose that kind of follows.

(Also I think it's normal to like other comics more than your own... I'm pretty much quite jealous of every other webcomic out there. ;O But it isn't necessarily entirely constructive to worry about one being "better" than another; you do things in your comic that I couldn't do, for instance, which is probably why I like it.)
No! Don't post it there!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually what I should really say is that what I do is just try to be myself, and use it how I feel like using it. I used to worry about getting more Twitter followers and all, and I even did try some silly sort of joke type posts once in a while, but it felt forced--to me, anyway--and of course didn't "go viral" or anything, so I finally realized that worrying about it was silly. So now I just do what I want to do with it and I like it a lot more; not that I use it all *that* much, but once in a while I get to have a little tweet exchange with another human being on it (like we had the other day, in fact!), and that makes me happy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: