TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What are you using to create your comic?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sylvia

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use flairs, regular sharpies, and microns on extra white printer paper. Then I scan and color in GIMP.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For both http://www.crosarth.com/ and http://unconventional.trhonline.com/ I draw the characters and foreground elements (and in the case of UnCONventional usually the backgrounds) on my iPad 2, using Adobe Ideas and a Targus Stylus.

Then I export the files into GIMP on my MacBook Pro where I combine them, add lighting, and integrate them with backgrounds. I then assemble the panels.
ttallan
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After giving this topic some thought, I decided to see just how much stuff I use to make my comic. Turns out it's rather a lot.

This (not including the scanner, which was too big to go on the table) merely represents all the stuff I consistently use on every page I create. If I assembled all the tools I only use occasionally (like templates, a compass, other pen sizes), the second pile would be even bigger, I'm sure.

I went into more detail about the things shown here in a blog post.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smbhax.com wrote:

The one Varethane posted a picture of, the Pentel Pocket Brush, is waterproof. And with others you could just fill an empty cartridge with an ink of your choice, although there could be a risk of clogging depending on what you'd use. I was mulling over trying Platinum Carbon Black in a Kuretake, which apparently people have done without trouble--although the Carbon Black seems a shade lighter than the Sumi ink I've been using.

Sadly, the Pentel Pocket Brush was not waterproof enough for me. Oh, the smudging! Perhaps I'll give another run at brush pens some other time, the Kuretake sounds interesting.
^_^

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Black Flag I am currently using...
A MacBook Pro.
Poser Pro 2012
Photoshop Elements
Bamboo tablet.
... and too many digital dolls, doll-clothes and props to list.

For Scent of Spring I am currently using
Mechanical Pencils (I'm not picky about the brand.)
A Prismacolor Premier brush pen
My printer's photocopy feature.

And...

...a portable light-table made out of a clear clipboard and a clip on reading light. Smile
It fits into the larger clip-board/case you see below it, which holds the rest of my Scent of Spring art stuff. (Not including the photocopier, of course.)
No! Don't post it there!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lianne wrote:
smbhax.com wrote:

The one Varethane posted a picture of, the Pentel Pocket Brush, is waterproof. And with others you could just fill an empty cartridge with an ink of your choice, although there could be a risk of clogging depending on what you'd use. I was mulling over trying Platinum Carbon Black in a Kuretake, which apparently people have done without trouble--although the Carbon Black seems a shade lighter than the Sumi ink I've been using.

Sadly, the Pentel Pocket Brush was not waterproof enough for me. Oh, the smudging! Perhaps I'll give another run at brush pens some other time, the Kuretake sounds interesting.

Hm! It seems about as smudge-proof to me as waterproof Sumi/India ink--which *do* still smudge a little, I suppose. I work all in gray though so I guess if they smudge a little under a wash, it doesn't really show up in my work. The Carbon Black seems to smudge a little less.
No! Don't post it there!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttallan wrote:
After giving this topic some thought, I decided to see just how much stuff I use to make my comic. Turns out it's rather a lot.

This (not including the scanner, which was too big to go on the table) merely represents all the stuff I consistently use on every page I create. If I assembled all the tools I only use occasionally (like templates, a compass, other pen sizes), the second pile would be even bigger, I'm sure.

I went into more detail about the things shown here in a blog post.

Ah I'm jealous of your no-longer-sold-rrrr Mono eraser. :D And you have a Parallel Pen! :o

I'm going to have to check out some of that Deleter Black #3. Ooh their Black #4 and White #2 while I'm at it; I sure could use a waterproof white.
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Lavenderbard, that's a great solution for a light table! I'll have to see if I can find one of those clear plastic clipboards, because although I have a small light table I don't like it very much.

@smbhax, I was flummoxed when they discontinued selling those Mono erasers, because I'd just fallen in love with them and had bought several to keep me going. (And they are. A year and a half later I'm still only halfway through the first large-size one.) They're environmentally unfriendly, or something. OK, I get that. I'll use up my supply and then move on to something else. So the last time I placed an order with JetPens I picked up this eraser on a whim. The thing seemed kind of ridiculous-- a specialized eraser for 2B leads?-- but you know what, I think I like it even better than the Mono. It just does a really good job, somehow!

I do like the Deleter Black #3 ink. It's nice and dark, and it doesn't have shellac in it so it doesn't destroy my brushes. Sumi ink is my second choice. I have the Deleter white ink, but I'm not thrilled with it. It's very thick. I'm being more and more lazy these days and doing the majority of my clean-up and corrections in Photoshop.
^_^

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttallan wrote:
@Lavenderbard, that's a great solution for a light table! I'll have to see if I can find one of those clear plastic clipboards, because although I have a small light table I don't like it very much.

I think I got it at Office Depot. But I've seen them a number of places. I don't know that this is better than a real light table, but they sure don't cost much, and I can take it with me when I'm out and about.

I have to admit, though, that the clip on light I got isn't very bright, so I do need to keep repositioning it so that it is directly under whatever part of the image I'm currently tracing. If I wasn't working on Scent of Spring primarily when I was on the go, I would want to find a more powerful light source.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, I've got one of these lightboxes...

I don't use it for Chirault because that entire comic is drawn inside of sketchbooks, but I did use it for my two minicomics, which were done on Bristol paper.... I did find it pretty handy when I wanted to make sure my final inks (or pencils in the case of the Tozar comic) were as clean as I could get them in a relatively short timeframe.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tablet and flash Smile
smbhax.com
No! Don't post it there!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttallan wrote:
So the last time I placed an order with JetPens I picked up this eraser on a whim. The thing seemed kind of ridiculous-- a specialized eraser for 2B leads?-- but you know what, I think I like it even better than the Mono. It just does a really good job, somehow!

Huh! I wish they had one for H leads. :o Maybe I'll give one of them a shot anyway. Although I'm not really unhappy with the Staedtler Mars Plastic erasers I tear through so quickly!

ttallan wrote:
I do like the Deleter Black #3 ink. It's nice and dark, and it doesn't have shellac in it so it doesn't destroy my brushes. Sumi ink is my second choice. I have the Deleter white ink, but I'm not thrilled with it. It's very thick. I'm being more and more lazy these days and doing the majority of my clean-up and corrections in Photoshop.

Ooh yeah I guess non-waterproof ink has gotta be easier on brushes, doesn't it. My poor brushes! And thick does seem to be the way of white ink. Darn chemistry. ;P

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use MS-Paint, and sometimes GIMP for gradients. Sad

For those of you who use Manga Studio -- I've heard it's pretty good for comics. Would you recommend it for a novice artist or does it require mad skillz?
Luke

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no point in using Manga Studio if you are not using a pressure sensitive tablet.

If you have a tablet, then it will make your inks look delicious.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lavenderbard wrote:

...a portable light-table made out of a clear clipboard and a clip on reading light

Genius.
*off to ebay*
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> Webcomic Gubbins All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 3 of 11

Jump to: