TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What are you using to create your comic?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
smbhax.com
No! Don't post it there!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your lead is B/HB then it might be worth trying the Campus B/HB :D.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Adobe Illustrator. Draw the whole thing direct in the program.

I am quite possibly crazy. But I've been using it as my main medium since 2000, so it's super easy for me!

Some design and plotting happens in my sketchbook, with pencil or pen. I'll fill up several pages at a go with sloppy little thumbnails as I work out the next several pages of story; occasionally I'll snap a photo of a particularly expressive thumbnail and work it further in Illustrator. Mostly it's just for planning, though.

Other times I'll go on a binge of sketching out the first draft of the next few pages off to the side of the current page.
smbhax.com
No! Don't post it there!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

egypturnash wrote:
I use Adobe Illustrator. Draw the whole thing direct in the program.

I am quite possibly crazy. But I've been using it as my main medium since 2000, so it's super easy for me!

I like that no-outline look a lot. : ) I used to do something sort of similar, in a very crude way, using the Lasso tool in Photoshop.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I remember seeing A* a while back and enjoying all the starkness. But now you are a dirty-handed traitor to the land of shading! HEATHEN

but seriously the pencils look pretty good too and if you have more fun with them then they are the Right Medium!
achaziel

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used to draw comics on a Wacom Bamboo before I upgraded to an Intuos 4 L.

Best 500 bucks ever spent.

SamuraiTaiga

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

achaziel wrote:
Used to draw comics on a Wacom Bamboo before I upgraded to an Intuos 4 L.

Best 500 bucks ever spent.

[img][/img]

I still use a Wacom Bamboo Manga, the medium-sized one. Probably slightly different as I'm in Japan. Love the thing, but the Intuos is kind of too large. Japanese homes are small, and my desk space is limited. Maybe one day...
achaziel

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I still use a Wacom Bamboo Manga, the medium-sized one. Probably slightly different as I'm in Japan. Love the thing, but the Intuos is kind of too large. Japanese homes are small, and my desk space is limited. Maybe one day...

There are various wireless variants of wacom tablets around, so the desk space shouldn't be too much of an issue, or am I wrong?
But just to let you know, bigger does not mean better (no pun intended),many people are more comfortable with smaller tablets. Switching from a medium sized bamboo to a large intuos 4 wasn't easy for me, since I was so used to the smaller one.
SamuraiTaiga

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

achaziel wrote:
Quote:

There are various wireless variants of wacom tablets around, so the desk space shouldn't be too much of an issue, or am I wrong?
But just to let you know, bigger does not mean better (no pun intended),many people are more comfortable with smaller tablets. Switching from a medium sized bamboo to a large intuos 4 wasn't easy for me, since I was so used to the smaller one.

I found awhile ago that wireless for the Wacom seems to have a lot of problems in my house. The frequency is probably overlapping with some other device(s). Drawing becomes sloooooow. I had to buy a 2 metre cable for it instead of relying on the WiFi because the original cable is ridiculously short to being near useless. Other than that, later realised that I'm more comfortable drawing with the Wacom on a desk or table, than on my lap, and less inclined to become lazy as well. The main problem was the weird slowness and unreliability of the WiFi; whenever I drew, it would be irritatingly delayed before anything moved on the screen. If I moved too fast, it would take ages to catch up - then do other unwanted stuff too. Typical Japanese house, I suppose, with kids with WiFi games, and the neighbours too. Apparently, a lot of things here use similar frequencies.
egypturnash

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on my second and third Wacom tablets. I started out with a 3x5 Graphire2 and used it for something like eight years until the cord got bent enough to start glitching out. Now I've got an 8x6.5 Intuos3 that lives on my computer desk next to my monitor, as well as a 7x4.5 Intuos4 that lives in the bag for when I unplug the laptop from the monitor and go out somewhere.

Like the park. Today I just finished page 100 of my comic while sitting out on a shady bridge across a local park.
egypturnash

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[double post, deleted]

Last edited by egypturnash on Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:38 am; edited 1 time in total
egypturnash

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, and there's one other part of the process for my comic lately: 3D reference models. I designed a swoopy little car in Silo, and use Photoshop's 3D tools to position the model on top of a rough page, then dump a PNG of just the model into Illustrator and draw over it. Sometimes I'll do a couple overlapping car reference images and merge them together when I draw, to keep things more lively and organic.

This has been really, really helpful in the latest chapter, which is all about driving around in a fast car.

Full list of steps here. I dunno if I'll be making more 3D models for other parts of the story - I'm very much a 2D gal at heart - but I'm certainly going to keep this process in mind for the future.
nsanelilmunky

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any reason why you use Illustrator instead of photoshop? Is there any pros/cons of drawing your stuff as vector instead of raster?
egypturnash

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nsanelilmunky wrote:
Any reason why you use Illustrator instead of photoshop? Is there any pros/cons of drawing your stuff as vector instead of raster?

I always say that the best medium for making comics is the one you don't have to think about at all. I've been using AI as my main medium since 2000, so it's just sort of what I reach for; Photoshop is frustratingly alien to me.

The main reason I started using Illustrator is "global color swatches" - I change a swatch and everything draw using it changes. This let me keep the same color workflow I was used to from using Deluxe Paint back on my Amiga, where I sometimes radically change a drawing's colors at the very end with very little work. Everything else is lagniappe. And NOTHING ELSE that I've ever seen offers that, not even other vector apps.

Pros:

- infinite scalability/rotatability without losing any quality

- tiny file sizes - the heaviest page in my current project is 34m, the median is more like 2-5m.

- you can casually scrawl off the edge of the canvas and keep drawing, then resize the canvas later to fit the composition if needed. I'm not changing page size in the middle of my comic, but I've got lots of pages that have notes and rough sketches for the next few pages off to the side!

- it's great for doing flat colors and super-smooth gradients

- everything is very editable, I can go back and reshape any bit of the drawing anywhere in the process and it seamlessly adjusts. I can even stack things - for instance, I drew a magic circle head on, then used a distortion mesh to put it in perspective. Then I went "inside" the distortion mesh and was able to edit the flat art, without having to keep a spare copy of the flat image around and re-do the transformation when I edited it.

Cons:

- if you love lots and lots of texture Illustrator is really not for you, you can kinda do it but it's awkward. Same with faking natural media. (There was one vector app, Expression, that did an amazing job of simulating natural media, but then Microsoft bought the company and ate it.)

- infinite scalability means it's easy to get lost in microscopic details that render as less than one pixel on the screen (I've trained habits into myself to counter this one)

- very complicated images with lots of effects get quite sluggish to work on, as those effects have to be re-rendered every time you zoom in or out

- you have to learn a very different way of thinking than bitmap paint programs. I usually describe it with the physical analogy of "cut paper".

- probably other cons that I can't see because I never really use other programs, my style is definitely shaped by my choice of tool.

(Illustrator can do much more subtle coloration than I'm doing in Decrypting Rita; I deliberately chose a super-limited color style for this project.)
smbhax.com
No! Don't post it there!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

egypturnash wrote:
Yeah, I remember seeing A* a while back and enjoying all the starkness. But now you are a dirty-handed traitor to the land of shading! HEATHEN

but seriously the pencils look pretty good too and if you have more fun with them then they are the Right Medium!

I didn't plan on the shading when I started in pencil, it just seems like they want to shade things. Tricky devils. : P

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow - I feel so clueless trying to read this thread. Right now I do initial pencils in blue, do a trace over in just whatever regular lead pencil I have handy (usually just a #2), then scan and do inks with a cheap Bamboo tablet in Manga Art Studio. I've been doing the inks on a different layer (and hide the original, pencil layer). I kind of figured that the quality of paper would never be a factor, since everything gets scanned.

I only ever doodled before deciding to tackle art duties for Mark of the Beast myself and have been trying to learn as quickly as I can. Once I have the money for it, I'm going to sign up for a class or two at the community college, but in the meantime any recommendations or advice to help me out? Or is it really just a matter of experimenting with as many different materials, papers, and processes before settling on something I like?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> Webcomic Gubbins All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 9 of 12

Jump to: