TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What are you using to create your comic?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
smbhax.com
No! Don't post it there!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scanning and cleaning up the scan is a little annoying, yah. : P

When I worked digitally I found zooming annoying, too...so mostly I just worked zoomed out so I could see the whole thing at once. Not the best for pixel precision, but it saved my sanity a bit, and also kept me from losing the big picture of the whole composition.
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttallan wrote:
Funnily enough, I think it would annoy me to have to keep zooming in and out while drawing a page. I don't like not being able to see the whole image.

Photoshop has this handy feature where you can duplicate the window, so that you can see it zoomed out while working on a zoomed in copy, and it automatically shows what you're doing. If I'm working on detailed stuff, I'll drop a zoomed out copy in my other monitor and work zoomed in.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After thirteen years of Illustrator I'm pretty used to zooming in and out. I do it all the time, whether I'm out in a cafe on the laptop screen, or at home on the 24" screen. I was already used to doing it back when my medium of choice was Deluxe Paint back on my old Amiga.

The big thing about zooming for me was stopping myself from spending hours fiddling over stuff that comes out as less than a pixel when rendered at web res; I cured that by instilling the habit of hitting command-1 to zoom out to full size on a pretty regular basis. Zoom in, tweak stuff, zoom out, repeat if it doesn't look good at final size. I really don't even think about zooming any more; my left hand just kinda hits command-space while my right hand slashes out a zoom window with the stylus.

I mostly only ever use the dual views functionality Metrius mentions when I'm drawing something intended for icons.
Metruis
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mostly only use it when I'm drawing something huge and detailed. I usually do my comic updates mostly zoomed out, with a bit of command + and -. Smile

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:34 am    Post subject: Flipside University Reply with quote

Mine's hand drawn and then colored in flash and Photoshop. Took awhile to find the perfect combination.
--------------------------
vashoom

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to draw everything by hand, scan it in, and then touch things up / add text and word balloons in Photoshop, but I finally convinced myself to go all digital.

It was a little difficult for the first day trying to acclimate my hand/eye with a graphic tablet, but now I can't ever see myself going back. I also draw in Manga Studio 5 now instead of Photoshop. Photoshop still has its uses for me, but I find Manga Studio to be a much better program for lineart.
Beerbuca

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sketch layouts on pen and paper and translate it with a Desktop PC and GIMP. Hallelujah for free software!
smbhax.com
No! Don't post it there!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My latest permutation is Winsor & Newton watercolors over pencils. Now I don't have to ruin my nice pencil lines with my clumsy inking--plus, color! Although I've been horribly abusing my Ultramarine Blue (Green Shade):

No! Don't post it there!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mentioning me alongside the mighty Ming? You make me blush, sir! ... Uh well I'd do that blushing emoticon if I remembered how. : P ... I bet Ming used to blush all the time. >_>

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hand draw mine and then I color it with GIMP.
Vellidragon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Photoshop 6.0 (stone age, I know) and a Wacom Intuos 3 tablet. I don't have a scanner nor the proper materials for non-digital drawing, so all is (hand-)drawn in Photoshop with the trusty ol' tablet pen (and on lots of layers because I keep changing things).
Uncle Greedy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DIY Refillable Pentel Brush

Some of you might renember that I posted my selfbuilt refillable water-ink pen here quite some time ago. It still works perfect, but I always wanted to find a way to refill a pentel brush. I made several attempts to refill it with a syringe, but they all ended in messy failure.

Picture 1: This needs a more radical approach. First cutting up to see how it looks inside...

Picture 2: Much smaller then expected! I think I could add some volumen here.

Picture 3: To save energy and time, I decide to repair a cable for my musical experiments along with the operation.

Picture 4: After cutting I replace the tiny tank wit a syringe that was leftover from some old ones I got from a chemist who cleared out his cellar after some water damage. I use shrinkable hose to seal it off. Note that I use a soldering iron instead the hot air pistol as usual, so that there's no uncontrolled meltdown of all the plastic parts.

Picture 5: Although the syringe is still removable for refilling, the system is absolutely tight. No leaking so far.

Picture 6: Meanwhile I repair the broken contact of the cable. As it is more then 30 years old, we can forgive this failure. And speaking of true quality, this Nordmende voltmeter was bought by my grandfather around 1962 and works without failure since. Believe it or not, the very first battery lasted until 2006 when it had to be replaced.

Picture 7: Of course we need a grip for the pentbrush that is firm enough, and it should be transparent to see the amount of filling. Sadly all my used up pens are to narrow to fit.

Picture 8: Good I found these remains of a broken miniature flashlight. To bad it's not transparent.

Picture 9: Problem solved.

Picture 10: All together now. The syringe is still removable, and the grip firm, sealed with hot glue.

Picture 11: I had some chromepaint left for the finish.

R. Fisher

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Photoshop CS5 and a Cintiq 21ux, but have recently started using Manga Studio EX5 for inks and colors (the Close Gap option in the magic wand tool is a nice feature). I find the line quality is much improved using MS, even when making raster line work. I still use PS for color tweaking and things that take a few too many steps in MS, such as cropping or sorting layers.

I used to do page art traditionally (standard comic boards, Microns/India ink, etc.) and color digitally, but I eventually got tired of having to keep ordering materials and not really having much space to store larger format work, so going digital was more out of convenience than anything else.

The Pride of Life - Give a Roar!
fluffy
is not a fish.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really should try Manga Studio. I'm still limping along with Photoshop CS4, because I don't like the changes in CS5/6/CC, and certain functionality I rely on doesn't work right on newer Macs in CS4.

EDIT: I have now tried Manga Studio and I think I'll be switching to it.

i am a busy bee
le nuage

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hand draw with a pen holder, then scan it and draw again in illustrator with my wacom tablet.
After that I export it in photoshop to colour it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> Webcomic Gubbins All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 9 of 12

Jump to: