TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Time Management Techniques
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vaslittlecrow

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My time management techniques:

1- I use Google Calendar. I print out my daily task list and agenda to make sure I keep track of everything.

2- I only check email twice or thrice a day, unless I am expecting something important. Then it's once every three hours. Twitter, Reddit, forums, G+, etc, I only check when I need to announce my updates and to chat with folks. If I do this more than once a day per site, I risk getting distracted from my work and it keeps me focused for marketing my work in a balanced manner.

3- I take two hours MINIMUM off everyday during my work hours to refresh and take care of me. I find that the break makes me more productive and focused on my schedule than if I work straight through. This habit has completely eliminated burn-out from my life. If I can't finish it in eight hours, I don't feel I am working effectively.

4- If I hate doing something, and I waste time dreading the task, then I hire or barter for someone else to do it, so I actually can be productive with my time. $10 for someone else doing flats and holds faster than me when I'm not in the mood, is totally worth the money I save in paid advertising when I am free to market myself.

5- I keep a journal and take 1/2 hour per day to do self-assessments to make sure I am working as efficiently as possible in completing my to-do list.

6- Work in batches and keeping a buffer. I usually try to get my comics for the week (and sometimes the month) done in a single sitting.

7- I only take business calls during business hours. Friends and family show up on the caller ID, and I only take those after hours.

8- I try to stay away from the computer and especially online activity, for as long as humanly possible.
katastrophe

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just started using the Pomodoro extension for Chrome and it's helping a lot. I have a bad habit of switching to the browser "just to check email" and then remembering what I'm supposed to do half an hour later.

I instituted bedtimes as soon as I could -- around 3 months, I think. Knowing that the kidlet was going to pass out at 7 pm kept me sane. Scheduling, seriously -- knowing when you can work and for how long can keep you going sometimes, though kids being kids, they will of course screw with you (kidlet didn't fall asleep until nearly nine tonight, thanks to a combination of a screaming parrot and her Very First Tooth making an appearance this morning. And we nearly had parrot stew for dinner. Razz ) If you have the brand of kidlet that naps, try to schedule those too. Also, I hate you.

Learn to work on the go. About the time kidlet was born I convinced my husband I needed an iPad, and thank god. Even in those early months when I (as the food source) was on constant call both day and night and running on four or five bad hours of sleep, when she put her head down for five minutes, I could grab it and at the very least pop open Evernote and work on some scripts. ComicLife (which I use to put my strip together) has a quite decent iPad app too. Learn to work anywhere, and learn to have what you need to work in easy grabbing distance at all times.

Mostly, for me, it's been about cutting the fat. I have very, very little time now, between work, kidlet, and basic life maintenance (showers! They're not just for the weekend any more!) Dorking around on the Internet is a luxury I'm trying to train myself out of, because really the choice between "spend an hour working on the comic" and "spend an hour surfing Cracked.com" is a no-brainer. How I keep ending up choosing the wrong one is a mystery to me. Razz

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Discipline, discipline, discipline. I guess it helps that I have absolutely no interest in Facebook or TV.
My week works like this:
Mon-Fri daytime I pencil the next page.
Mon-Thurs Night I ink the pencil work I finished the previous week
Sat-Sun I start writing the next chapter
Fri night I clean up the pencil work and get it ready for inking.

I have about 2 hours of free time a day and this is the only way I can keep on doing the comic.
Some compromises had to be made. My previous comics were done in full colour, but that no longer happens and I keep it all to a single A3 size page.
The writing had to be modified to allow single updates per week and still move the story along in a significant manner each page.
vaslittlecrow

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plughead: You are most welcomed. Very Happy
Lavenderbard
^_^

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't seem to find surfing the web much of a draw. But I've just discovered I have very little willpower when it comes to resisting the tempation of a partially completed jigsaw puzzle spread out across my dining room table.

Why oh why did my youngest decide that a good way to spend spring break was to pull out my largest, most elaborate 3D puzzle?

I did manage to reach page 100 of my Black Flag revisions today anyway, though. One third done, and it was by far the most labor intensive third. Yay! Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's really interesting reading how you guys manage to segregate time.

As for me i can never keep a particular schedule. That's why I have a biffer of pages ready for my comic in advance. I work as a freelance Animator & Illustrator, so when work comes in there's never time to work on the comic. So there's no fixed schedule I can follo. But I do try to complete 2 pages a week as best I can.
Gooberandcindy.com

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love this topic. Smile

I just do one comic a week. That keeps me pretty balanced.
I also have a buffer of about 5 strips. So i'm not to stressed when the deadline comes.

I'm having trouble in not going overboard on the social media though.

http://www.gooberandcindy.com
Justinfh

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what I've been doing as of late. I'll work on my webcomic for about a little less than an hour on work nights. On weekends, 1-2 hours. Also, I work on my comic strips weeks before I post them. The reason for this is because I aim at posting a new comic strip every day from Monday to Friday. At least for a little while.
Antionestrife

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

making comics and not getting destracted was always tough for me. I could get on roll a few weeks then fall off the face of the internet world the next three. Work, wife, baby have almost at the limits of my powers. But I think a timer does work. I use it for other things so I'll try again to get on consitent update scedeul. Razz
Justinfh

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do post my comics in volumes, and some times, there can be several weeks in between them. That way, I don't burn myself out, nor my readers. Usually, I'll create a buffer of 10-15 comics, before I post them. Once I start posting comics, I'll keep going until a story either ends, or sometimes, I'll leave a cliff hanger. After I'm done a particular volume
of comics, I work on merchandising, and
promotion. Speaking of which, my Website is DisgruntledComics.com.

Eventually, I'll take like a week off completely off from
my comic. Although I haven't done that yet since I started.
Anyway, I tries to spend 3 hours a day on
my webcomic for 4 to five days a week.
Bill Murphy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's important for your friends and family to respect that the time spent working on your comic is important to you. Too often I've been asked
"What are you doing today?"
And my reply is
"Working on my comic".
Then they say "Cool! I was wondering if you could help me with..."

Too often people view time working on comics to be expendable. Like going to the gym. Wink
GoodLuck

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Super helpful forum, thanks
Jacob_Wallace

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Devoting an hour a day usually helps me. I alternate what I do. Some days are comic days, some days I write, some days I read, and every now and then I'll get on a video game (which is growing more and more seldom unfortunately).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> Webcomics and Real Life All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: