TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My Girlfriend's Dog
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> The "Check out my comic" forum!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
AndToBeLoved



Joined: 17 Mar 2011
Posts: 116

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:29 am    Post subject: My Girlfriend's Dog Reply with quote

My Girlfriend's Dog portrays the trials and tribulations of being in a relationship with a girl who's in love with...her dog. Each strip is based on the true to life episodes of the artist, the writer, and their dog Max. Check it!
http://tapastic.com/episode/1657



Last edited by AndToBeLoved on Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
raines80



Joined: 10 Jul 2011
Posts: 162

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually like the comic. The one with the guy asleep waking up to the poodles arse is pretty funny. I would suggest making some of the punch lines a little bit more potent by doing what you did with the dog's butt. Like maybe in the raccoon one having a raccoon jumping on the guys back while the dog just goes about his business.

I really like the idea and the webcomic. The only two major problems I have are..

The color is a little overwhelming. I like that you are going for a different color other than white, but you might want to lighten up a bit on the blue.( I have seen some older comics use the blue.. and it isn't bad, but I think they used it because of how pixelated their comics were. Yours are not.. so I would use a milder tone.)

The premise of the comic is good, but it is going to get repetitive. The girlfriend is going to want him to do something with the dog... he says no.. he does it... he looks annoyed. Maybe you could delve a bit deeper into the personality of the dog. Don't give it a voice or anything... but maybe playoff what you think it is thinking with facial expressions and body posture. That might help.

Overall the comic is really good. The drawing is VERY good and the writing is excellent.
_________________


Last edited by raines80 on Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
uncaringmachine



Joined: 09 Jul 2005
Posts: 617

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the throwback style of the art, like the blue color, dislike the site design. It could really use some work. But the comic is pretty good, so keep it up!
_________________

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Fastbro



Joined: 12 May 2011
Posts: 36

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really liking the comic so far! The humor is great and so is the art. I'm just not sure about the colours on the site. The background colour is overwhelming and the blue in the strips doesn't really help.

Bookmarked!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
smbhax.com
No! Don't post it there!


Joined: 10 Apr 2009
Posts: 2946
Location: Seattle

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You probably *would* be better served by a white background for the strip, rather than the blue--it would be more legible, anyway.

The art has a nice look to it.

I've never owned a dog, and I can't *quite* figure out what has happened in the last panel of this one

http://mygirlfriendsdog.smackjeeves.com/comics/1456231/sunny-side-up/

... This is going to bug me now. ;)
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
AndToBeLoved



Joined: 17 Mar 2011
Posts: 116

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

raines80 wrote:
I actually like the comic. The one with the guy asleep waking up to the poodles arse is pretty funny. I would suggest making some of the punch lines a little bit more potent by doing what you did with the dog's butt. Like maybe in the raccoon one having a raccoon jumping on the guys back while the dog just goes about his business.

I really like the idea and the webcomic. The only two major problems I have are..

The color is a little overwhelming. I like that you are going for a different color other than white, but you might want to lighten up a bit on the blue.( I have seen some older comics use the blue.. and it isn't bad, but I think they used it because of how pixelated their comics were. Yours are not.. so I would use a milder tone.)


The premise of the comic is good, but it is going to get repetitive. The girlfriend is going to want him to do something with the dog... he says no.. he does it... he looks annoyed. Maybe you could delve a bit deeper into the personality of the dog. Don't give it a voice or anything... but maybe playoff what you think it is thinking with facial expressions and body posture. That might help.

Overall the comic is really good. The drawing is VERY good and the writing is excellent.


Thanks so much for the advice and kind words! I like to be somewhat subtle with the punchlines, as I have a dry sense of humor. So, slapstick isn't really what I aim for. And don't worry about repetition - I have lots of things up my sleeve to shake this comic up a bit. Stay tuned. Wink

Yes, the color is a bit much I suppose. Because of the black and white style, I really wanted the comic to pop. However, I think I'll rethink the color scheme! Thanks again.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
AndToBeLoved



Joined: 17 Mar 2011
Posts: 116

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

smbhax.com wrote:
You probably *would* be better served by a white background for the strip, rather than the blue--it would be more legible, anyway.

The art has a nice look to it.

I've never owned a dog, and I can't *quite* figure out what has happened in the last panel of this one

http://mygirlfriendsdog.smackjeeves.com/comics/1456231/sunny-side-up/

... This is going to bug me now. Wink


Thanks for the comment! Yeah...I will have to rethink the color I guess. I posted the first strip in b&w originally, but I thought that coloring it would make it stand out more. In my experience, people gravitate more toward color as opposed to simple b&w (a shame, really - I prefer b&w).

As for the strip in question - Guy is asleep, Guy wakes up to rank smell, Guy is graced with dog butthole. This happens to pet owners more often than they'd probably like to admit.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
munch



Joined: 12 Dec 2005
Posts: 9

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the dog is so cute! reminds me of mine
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MGS



Joined: 23 Sep 2011
Posts: 82

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the comic! The style and the humor come together wonderfully to create some brilliant humor.

I do, however, agree with some of the above posts regarding the color scheme. At the every least, the blue with white text can be difficult to read. My comic (not as solid as this) is also black and white, and I wrestled with the idea of a different color scheme before settling on black and grey. But, at the same time, I am constantly re-thinking the decision. Sheldon is a solid black and white comic with a cool page, and there are some other color schemes and layouts you could look at. For some reason, I think this comic would look great with a good color scheme on the page.

I do, however, think the comic itself looks best in black and white.

Again, I love the comic. It reminds me of the popular comic Marmaduke... except it's funny! Nice work!


Last edited by MGS on Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
MGS



Joined: 23 Sep 2011
Posts: 82

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, is this comic listed on TWL? I want to add it to my favorites, but I can't seem to find it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
AndToBeLoved



Joined: 17 Mar 2011
Posts: 116

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MGS wrote:
Also, is this comic listed on TWL? I want to add it to my favorites, but I can't seem to find it.


No, we don't have it on TWL at this time. Soon we will have it's own website for it, however. We're launching a batch of new comic series within the next few weeks, so we'll let everyone know about those. Glad you're liking My GF Dog! Thanks!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
hipopotamo



Joined: 27 Nov 2011
Posts: 192

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This comic has an old fashioned look that I like. I can empathize with some of the jokes!

I for one would like to keep the dog in a non-protagonical role, but let's see how the strip evolves!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
AndToBeLoved



Joined: 17 Mar 2011
Posts: 116

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hipopotamo wrote:
This comic has an old fashioned look that I like. I can empathize with some of the jokes!

I for one would like to keep the dog in a non-protagonical role, but let's see how the strip evolves!


Thanks! We seriously debated coloring the strips but we wouldn't be able to maintain the old fashioned look quite as well if we did. So I'm glad you noticed and like the old fashioned look - that is exactly what we're going for.

Even though the comic is called "My Girlfriend's Dog" it is less about the dog and more about the way the human characters DEAL with the dog in their relationship. The majority of the strips are based on real life incidences between the writer, the artist (me), and our freaking miniature poodle, Max. We got a large breed puppy recently, so that'll be worked into the strips soon enough...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Uncle Greedy



Joined: 02 Jun 2011
Posts: 285

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to take care that it doesn't get to annoying over the times. I guess many readers already would like to do nasty things to the doggie and the girlfriend, or at least hope that he will quit that unnerving relationship. Maybe he should have a little triumph or revenge from time to time.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
AndToBeLoved



Joined: 17 Mar 2011
Posts: 116

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncle Greedy wrote:
You have to take care that it doesn't get to annoying over the times. I guess many readers already would like to do nasty things to the doggie and the girlfriend, or at least hope that he will quit that unnerving relationship. Maybe he should have a little triumph or revenge from time to time.


Yeah, believe me, the boyfriend will have his moments. Some of the upcoming updates will reflect this (there's one involving chocolate lol).
We've been lagging a bit with updates recently becuase of getting things prepared for the new site, so I'll be sure to post when a revenge-ish strip goes up.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> The "Check out my comic" forum! All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

Hosted by Fluent
The Webcomics List is operated and owned by Ash Young. Syndicate the comic updates.