TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why aren't we doing this???
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
milton5

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regardless of the money the jumping through hoops to read the comic would be the biggest deterrent for me. I was a big Howard Stern fan - but not enough to pay for satellite radio - it wasn't that it was so expensive it's just that it would be one more bill to keep track of - wasn't interested.

I also don't understand the NY Time model - I know this is simplistic but if they weren't making enough money with their online content why not charge more for ads?

How quickly would Facebook, Twitter, and Google go out of business if they started charging to use their service?

I think of the web as a way to promote my work and then figure out the money later. If you look at it in those terms - it is TOTALLY AWESOME - you get a free platform to promote your work - if you had to buy space in any other media it would be very expensive.

http://miltonfive.blogspot.com/
ewomack
Grand prize winner!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once you introduce money into your creative work then it all becomes about the numbers. If your income starts to diminish then you worry if your work has "degenerated" and you may do things that you wouldn't normally do to get your income back up. The hard thing is that you often have no idea, without doing something obvious, why readership increases or decreases. Marketing might help, but I've seen some pretty aggressive marketing campaigns fail outright. It seems to have a large luck factor beyond any one person's control.

Those born into connections of course have an unfair advantage. Think of all the people you know who would not have received a nanosecond of airtime if their parents, cousins, spouses, siblings, etc., were not already famous.

The game is a little rigged, but not intentionally so. People generally look after their own kind.
Old Herb

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I'm just a tad idealistic, but I feel that webcomics ought to be free. Smile

Still, not that I could charge anything for my stuff anyway. So, no sense in pimping out the art in shady street corners, I think. Bottom line, generally against this sort of practice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: