TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Introduction - (Yes, I am a Newbie)
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> General Ramblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
oteimages



Joined: 07 Feb 2012
Posts: 3

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:29 pm    Post subject: Introduction - (Yes, I am a Newbie) Reply with quote

Hey guys -

This is my first time on here and just wanted to introduce myself. I thought it was only proper to get involved in this industry more, since my company has a new webcomic coming out soon. I am hoping to intro it to some of you with loads of experience, prior to sending it out to the world. Yes, there are still some proprietary things about this that keep me from uncovering everything today on this post (no kidding), however this will be short lived and all will be uncovered very soon. I can tell you that this webcomic is VERY unique and nothing like it has ever been done before. This is the reason that I would like a true comic fans REAL feedback. I look forward to meeting many of you and finding out what you are all about and into as well.

My tag is "oteimages" and I look forward to lots of communication and feedback.

Soon . . .


oteimages
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
smbhax.com
No! Don't post it there!


Joined: 10 Apr 2009
Posts: 2923
Location: Seattle

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the regular posters here are comic *makers* rather than fans, specifically (man I hate all other comics :D), but uh it sounds interesting I guess, good luck with whatever it is!
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Luke



Joined: 15 Jul 2009
Posts: 753
Location: Ireland

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:15 am    Post subject: Re: Introduction - (Yes, I am a Newbie) Reply with quote

oteimages wrote:
Soon . . .


Well then.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
ewomack
Grand prize winner!


Joined: 05 Jun 2007
Posts: 463

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello and welcome...
_________________
Ed Womack
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
oteimages



Joined: 07 Feb 2012
Posts: 3

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

smbhax.com wrote:
Most of the regular posters here are comic *makers* rather than fans, specifically (man I hate all other comics Very Happy), but uh it sounds interesting I guess, good luck with whatever it is!


-----------------------------------------

Well . . . I did not know this so thank you for telling me.


Also . . . I'll be you won't "hate all other comics" when you see what we are bringing out soon . . .

Nice meeting you and I look forward to seeing "your work."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
oteimages



Joined: 07 Feb 2012
Posts: 3

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ewomack wrote:
Hello and welcome...


------------------------

Thanks for the laugh Ed. That cell phone toilet one is friggin hilarious. Been there - done that !!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Duskglass



Joined: 03 Feb 2012
Posts: 24

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious, what makes it so unique it's never been done before? That's a pretty big claim to make...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
vulpeslibertas
Level 1 threat


Joined: 19 Dec 2005
Posts: 2488
Location: Here and there...mostly there. Sometimes kinda in between.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trust him. Imagine...imagine pictures...and imagine also that they were funny pictures... and imagine also that they were on the internet. A-ha, only now do you begin to see the essential genius of the plan...

Not to be a complete jerk, oteimages, we're a pretty welcoming bunch here usually, but I kind of feel like we're being sold. Not to mention that we're all content creators here, so you tend to lose the natural "I'm the creator" edge you might have in other forums. It might be a bit smoother once you are ready to share your comic, or give us something which truly promotes your comic, like pictures or a summary, something other than a generic "Ultra awesome beyond comprehension - Buy the all-NEW Original Coke!!! lolroflXD". There are an awful lot of kinds of comics out there, and we don't even know what genre or mood your comic falls into. Your original post reads like a generic sales pitch. We certainly aren't going to check out your work simply because it's "new and unique" - many new comics advertise themselves that way, so if you want to distinguish yourself you'll have to put some kind of proof in some kind of pudding.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
mooncity
is awesome cool.


Joined: 27 May 2006
Posts: 1339
Location: Yesterday, Today, and Tomorrow

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Vulpy. I'm not a fan of drive-by spam-vertising in forums. That's so 1998. In other words, it's no longer an effective (or acceptable) form of promotion.

As for claims of NEW! BETTER! WORLD-CHANGING! etc., etc., etc.! I guarantee you that given the varied skill sets and experience in this forum, we've probably seen it all before.

My first thought on reading this was, "Wow. This had better be awesome. Like, Darth Vader driving a Batmobile dipped in fried gold, surrounded by Playboy Bunnies battling an alien robot invasion on a 70's-era variety show hosted by Simon Pegg, the Osmonds, and Godzilla. THAT kind of awesome."

If it's not, we'll be more than happy to let you know it's not.
_________________
Mooncity
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow since 1976!


The comic strip that never was.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vaslittlecrow



Joined: 01 Aug 2005
Posts: 744

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Waves*

---

I have way too many webcomics. Find most of them here:
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
iaviv



Joined: 03 Sep 2011
Posts: 279

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mooncity wrote:
"Wow. This had better be awesome. Like, Darth Vader driving a Batmobile dipped in fried gold, surrounded by Playboy Bunnies battling an alien robot invasion on a 70's-era variety show hosted by Simon Pegg, the Osmonds, and Godzilla. THAT kind of awesome."

Setting the bar way too high on this one. Mr. Green
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Casual Notice
Spambot Extraordinaire


Joined: 18 Mar 2005
Posts: 2959
Location: Oh my God, It's full of stars!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to keep an open mind about these things. However, just so you can be sure that your project is indeed new and mindblowing, here's a checklist of things that are not new in webcomics:
  • games, gaming, gamers, slackers, college roommates, college friends, college, high school, high school friends, high school romance, college romance, couches
  • aliens, pirates, nijas, robots, any combination of the four, zombies, vampires, werewolves, ghosts, golems, the Frankenstein Monster, Creatures (from the Black Lagoon and otherwise), Spiders, scorpions, kitties, bunnies, squirrels, hedgehogs, evil bunnies, evil kitties, sexy bunnies, sexy kitties, ferrets of any kind, furries, taurs, and otherkin of any kind, lawyers
  • fairies, dragons, unicorns, heroes, villains, all of D&D from every edition, Everquest 1&2, World of Warcraft, Regular Warcraft, Sims 1,2,&3, Dragon Age, Mass Effect, Elder Scrolls (especially Skyrim), Nintendo, Wii, Playstation, XBox
  • how dumb your parents are, how cute your children are, how wacky your significant other is, your wacky friends, your wacky coworkers, your boring coworkers who don't understand how you can be so wacky, ustomers are dicks, salespeople are dicks, waitrons are dicks, the kitchen staff are a bunch of foul-mouthed dicks, many of whom have felony convictions, school sucks, work sucks, school/work are okay but terribly wacky
  • conservatives are dicks, liberals are dicks, it's so hard to be gay, it's so hard to be smarter than everybody, it's so hard to be special in a world of mediocrity, bonghit philosophy, college and high school philosophy that sound exactly like bonghit philosophy but you were sober when they occurred to you, last weeks episode of The Universe on Science
  • classic heroes, classic heroines, classic ingenues, anti-heroes, comedy relief, stoic tough guys who are exactly like ever character played by Clint Eastwood or Jason Statham but they are totally not anti-heroes, villains with insanely involved backstories, villains who just like being evil, wacky henchmen
  • sex changes, transformations, teleportations, impossible science, improbable science, science that is both possible and probable but doesn't exist yet, normal every day stuff, magic, magic that really has a scientific explanation, time travel, dinosaurs, time travelling dinosaurs
  • gag-a-day, six-panel, infinite canvas, finely developed plots with expert character development and multiple interwoven arcs, heavy-handed allegory, finely-crefted allegory, random unexplained events and behavior, a focus on hats, sex, not having sex, marriage, living in sin, long-distance relationships, the love that dare not speak its name, horniness, prudishness, sexual neutrality

That's just a partial list. No doubt VL or SMB will remind of the many things I've left off.
_________________
Casual Notice--commentary, comics and an appreciation for snappy hats.
S*P*Q*R
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vulpeslibertas
Level 1 threat


Joined: 19 Dec 2005
Posts: 2488
Location: Here and there...mostly there. Sometimes kinda in between.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This

Which is a great read if you have 8-10 extra hours to burn.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
JakobVirgil



Joined: 10 Jan 2012
Posts: 80

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Casual Notice wrote:
I like to keep an open mind about these things. However, just so you can be sure that your project is indeed new and mindblowing, here's a checklist of things that are not new in webcomics:
  • games, gaming, gamers, slackers, college roommates, college friends, college, high school, high school friends, high school romance, college romance, couches
  • aliens, pirates, nijas, robots, any combination of the four, zombies, vampires, werewolves, ghosts, golems, the Frankenstein Monster, Creatures (from the Black Lagoon and otherwise), Spiders, scorpions, kitties, bunnies, squirrels, hedgehogs, evil bunnies, evil kitties, sexy bunnies, sexy kitties, ferrets of any kind, furries, taurs, and otherkin of any kind, lawyers
  • fairies, dragons, unicorns, heroes, villains, all of D&D from every edition, Everquest 1&2, World of Warcraft, Regular Warcraft, Sims 1,2,&3, Dragon Age, Mass Effect, Elder Scrolls (especially Skyrim), Nintendo, Wii, Playstation, XBox
  • how dumb your parents are, how cute your children are, how wacky your significant other is, your wacky friends, your wacky coworkers, your boring coworkers who don't understand how you can be so wacky, ustomers are dicks, salespeople are dicks, waitrons are dicks, the kitchen staff are a bunch of foul-mouthed dicks, many of whom have felony convictions, school sucks, work sucks, school/work are okay but terribly wacky
  • conservatives are dicks, liberals are dicks, it's so hard to be gay, it's so hard to be smarter than everybody, it's so hard to be special in a world of mediocrity, bonghit philosophy, college and high school philosophy that sound exactly like bonghit philosophy but you were sober when they occurred to you, last weeks episode of The Universe on Science
  • classic heroes, classic heroines, classic ingenues, anti-heroes, comedy relief, stoic tough guys who are exactly like ever character played by Clint Eastwood or Jason Statham but they are totally not anti-heroes, villains with insanely involved backstories, villains who just like being evil, wacky henchmen
  • sex changes, transformations, teleportations, impossible science, improbable science, science that is both possible and probable but doesn't exist yet, normal every day stuff, magic, magic that really has a scientific explanation, time travel, dinosaurs, time travelling dinosaurs
  • gag-a-day, six-panel, infinite canvas, finely developed plots with expert character development and multiple interwoven arcs, heavy-handed allegory, finely-crefted allegory, random unexplained events and behavior, a focus on hats, sex, not having sex, marriage, living in sin, long-distance relationships, the love that dare not speak its name, horniness, prudishness, sexual neutrality

That's just a partial list. No doubt VL or SMB will remind of the many things I've left off.


If you don't have anything on that list your comic will be boring and obtuse like mine. it is kinda lose-lose.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
mooncity
is awesome cool.


Joined: 27 May 2006
Posts: 1339
Location: Yesterday, Today, and Tomorrow

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iaviv wrote:
mooncity wrote:
"Wow. This had better be awesome. Like, Darth Vader driving a Batmobile dipped in fried gold, surrounded by Playboy Bunnies battling an alien robot invasion on a 70's-era variety show hosted by Simon Pegg, the Osmonds, and Godzilla. THAT kind of awesome."

Setting the bar way too high on this one. Mr. Green


I didn't even mention the part about how the Playboy Bunnies are using bacon-powered laser guns.
_________________
Mooncity
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow since 1976!


The comic strip that never was.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

Hosted by Fluent
The Webcomics List is operated and owned by Ash Young. Syndicate the comic updates.