TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help! A cool story is going to die!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
I-Man

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:18 pm    Post subject: Help! A cool story is going to die! Reply with quote

Hey, I've been following this one guy's blog/story-thingy. Basically he posts each week part of a story called Fire Child, it's kinda like a webcomic but without the art (although it would make a freaking awesome graphic novel). Anyway, this guy makes a most today saying that he's considering to stop. Sad It was around this time I was yelling "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" at my screen cuz I've already been hooked by it. But then he also says that he'll continue if enough people wants him to (which I thought was kinda awesome on his part), anyway, do yourself a favor and go check out his blog. Read the story and then you'll see why I'm here asking for help. Then please for the love of all the superdudes (and chicks) on the planet message him and tell him to keep writing.

Here's the address to his blog:

www.armandonfiction.blogspot.com
Luke

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eugh, he publishes it in some terrible comic style font.

I'm sure his story is awesome, but I can't support that.
^_^

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luke wrote:

Er...

I didn't see any terrible comic style font.
Didn't see a comic style font at all, terrible or otherwise.
is awesome cool.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kid, there comes a time when all things must end. Some are past their time.
Let it die, and repent from your spamming ways.

And this is a webCOMIC forum, not a webFICTION one. I mean, c'mon really.

The comic strip that never was.
Luke

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lavenderbard wrote:
Luke wrote:

Er...

I didn't see any terrible comic style font.
Didn't see a comic style font at all, terrible or otherwise.

We could be using different browsers/Operating Systems. For me it is very reminiscent of comic sans.
Level 1 threat

Location: Here and there...mostly there. Sometimes kinda in between.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This reminds me of the thread on if it's ok to click on web advertisements if you don't intend to buy anything.

The reason this author is doing this is (either because he's the OP, and just trying to pimp his own stuff or) because its only worth doing it to him if he's making his fans happy. Since the people on this forum are not fans (as evidenced by the fact that we have to be told about it), that is really defeating the purpose.
No! Don't post it there!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah that font isn't a great choice for a blog.

I understand the OP wanting to drum up some support, but I can't say I approve of the story writer's approach; he's basically saying "I need to be stroked constantly or I'll stop." And you know we all like feedback but this isn't really the way to get it--if you want more than you're getting then you need to look into how you can make what you're doing more appealing, whether that be by advertising, writing a better story, getting some illustrations to make it more attractive, getting a more open comment system, changing the darn font, or whatever.
Level 1 threat

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it depends on what he's doing. If he's just doing this to drum up support, then it's a ridiculous way to generate long-term popularity. On the other hand, if ego-stroking is the reason he's doing it, then it doesn't really cost anybody anything and it's no different than someone doing it "for art" or "for self-expression" or "for ad money".
Level 1 threat

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find myself sounding very negative lately. If I'm bothering anybody, please realize that I'm a natural devil's advocate Twisted Evil. It's not that I'm disagreeing per se, but that I'm pointing out the other side of an issue: one which I may or may not agree with.
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So... it's a webcomic, just in text... so it's a webnotcomic.

And you read it, but he's stopping it cos no one else is reading it. Fair enough. Not enough persistence.

But he will keep making it if lots of people read it.

But no one does, so why would we start if he's ending it?

And... is it yours?

Cos it sounds like it's yours. Smile
^_^

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luke wrote:
We could be using different browsers/Operating Systems. For me it is very reminiscent of comic sans.

I have Comic Sans on my system, so if he was telling my broswer to show Comic Sans, I ought to be seeing it.

You might want to check your browser settings to make sure you don't have Comic Sans set as your default font for "cursive". If you have Comic Sans set as one of your defaults, that would explain why you see it so much that you think it's the Anti-Christ and you want to consign people who use it to the innermost circle of hell.

But it seems rather unfair to me to blame random web users for what your browsers' default settings are.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it difficult to respect creators who threaten to quit unless they receive enough validation from their followers.
As a creator, your primary reason for writing should be your own love of storytelling, not the opportunity to have a lot of people tell you how great you are.

Concerning the font, I did find it hard to read. I skimmed the latest entry and wasn't impressed with the writing either. Additionally, if you want people to read you might consider improving your site navigation-- don't expect potential readers to hunt through the archive for your first entry.
smbhax.com
No! Don't post it there!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lavenderbard wrote:
Luke wrote:

I have Comic Sans on my system, so if he was telling my broswer to show Comic Sans, I ought to be seeing it.

You might want to check your browser settings to make sure you don't have Comic Sans set as your default font for "cursive". If you have Comic Sans set as one of your defaults, that would explain why you see it so much that you think it's the Anti-Christ and you want to consign people who use it to the innermost circle of hell.

But it seems rather unfair to me to blame random web users for what your browsers' default settings are.

It's a Google Web Font, Walter Turncoat. (I guess this GWF thing is Google's way of taking over embedded fonts. :P)
Grand prize winner!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this like one of those farewell tours that turns into two, then three or four farewell tours?

Hmmm...
JakobVirgil

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vulpeslibertas wrote:
This reminds me of the thread on if it's ok to click on web advertisements if you don't intend to buy anything.

The reason this author is doing this is (either because he's the OP, and just trying to pimp his own stuff or) because its only worth doing it to him if he's making his fans happy. Since the people on this forum are not fans (as evidenced by the fact that we have to be told about it), that is really defeating the purpose.

Hey, my motives are more complicated and a lot less pure than then this.
Profit is not a great motive for web-comics.
I will leave my real motives in the dark but profit is not one of them Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: