TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Personal Measure Of Success?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gual-kun

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NaarieKermie wrote:
I consider my comic a success when people get attached to my characters.
I'm agree with you in this.
NaarieKermie wrote:
No, dear reader, thank YOU.
Totally.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't advertise my comic at all until very recently because I wasn't comfortable promoting it before I made a website, so even though my comic has been going over a year it hasn't built up much of a readership in that time. I don't even know how to check hits on my site and I... don't really care? Numbers just aren't meaningful to me.

I suppose the true measure of success is when I receive comments that indicate my tiny handful of readers really care.... and when I look back at the early pages and see improvement. C:
sotsog

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just starting to promote my webcomic now that we have our own site. As happy as I'am writing this comic the knowledge that other people are interested really pushes me to take that extra step. What in general is a good starting view count for a comic just starting to advertise themselves. Say in a 1 month period of advertising. It seems like some people are being modest about their traffic but I'm very interested.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Working as a Graphic Designer and running a company with my girlfirend is my job, and pays the mortgage, but that's working on requests for other people. Designing logos and giftware etc
My comics are my hobbie, if that switched around I'd be reeally happy, but I'm not holding my breath...
So for me, it's blog hits about (3000+ in 7 months), CDrom sales locally (triple figures since Aug 2010) and now Kindle sales for me (started in Jan 2012, but only had a few so far). I suppose the more people who read my stuff the happier I am...
check out www.cdgraphicnovels,blogspot.com

cheers
Craig
halflight

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a couple of different layers of success for me - even finishing a page feels like an accomplishment, and every little piece of feedback I get makes me happy.

The main reason I'm doing my comic is to get the story down, drawn, and something I can hold in my hands. The telling of it is important to me, the sharing of it too. If my focus ever shifts to number of hits or whatever instead of the story itself, I probably won't enjoy making my comic as much anymore.

That said, I'll feel successful when the first few chapters are out there and done - and really successful when the whole thing is told, because I know I'll have learned so much along the way about making comics.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel like my comic is a success because it's been (by far) the longest I've ever stuck with an idea. It's something I'm determined to see through to the end, even if there's a total of zero people reading and half the Internet is laughing at me. But hearing positive feedback every so often really makes it easier to continue.
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dutch wrote:
Lavenderbard wrote:
Well, my husband isn't a daily reader of yours, Dutch, but when he bumped into your webcomic at random he ended up going through the entire archive. (And not because I sorta know you, because he didn't know that.) That's might be worth something?

Aw, that... that is Gold, LB. Smile

Your husband is my new best friend. He can come round for a barbie and a few beers any day. Smile

My sister did that too! She found it without my help and read through the whole thing and was all like HEY LOOK AT THIS FUNNY COMIC and I was all "oh hey that guy's in my comic collective."

Smile
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aw, nice.

If only they'd now pipe up and let me know once or twice! Smile

These stories are really nice to hear.

Especially now they seem to be occasionally happening to me! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: