TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sopa/Pipa Blackout

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ultimancomics

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:51 pm    Post subject: Sopa/Pipa Blackout Reply with quote

Even though it's an update day, ULTI-MAN - and my main tumblr, BECKMANIMATION MINI are blacked out for the rest of the day. Sopa is gone, but Pipa is still trying.
If anything like this were to pass, it would probably be illegal for me to make the ultimate man comics, because he is obviously a derivative of Ultraman.

My comic is hosted on tumblr, and today they are giving the option to black out your tumblr today. It's very easy to do, and if any of you have a tumblr I suggest you do the same. It's only for 24 hours.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed. I went ahead and blocked out both Slightly Off-Topic and Saggy Man Breasts, and I'm sure at least 6 people will be inconvenienced enough by it to post a note to their senator...
Casual Notice
Spambot Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If anything like this were to pass, it would probably be illegal for me to make the ultimate man comics, because he is obviously a derivative of Ultraman.

If ultimate man is that derivative, it's already illegal for you to make it. SOPA and PIPA (which is, apparently, Greek slang for "blowjob") do not add new definitions of plagiarism or copyright or trademark theft, what they do is authorize the federal government to ban or black out sites that "encourage piracy". Worse, they allow for federal agencies to attack the means by which targeted websites make money. Cracked.com posted this hilarious column illustrating how either bill could be abused if they became law.

SOPA is not gone, it has been withdrawn so it can be rewritten to clarify and specify the language. PIPA has been sitting on the Senate Floor docket since October and is unlikely to see any action before the new Congress sits next January and resets the docket for both Houses.

While the media oligopolies favor the bills, there is some serious corporate money that has already come out against them, including Microsoft, Sony and Google.
NaarieKermie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bills may have been pulled but they're far from dead. Currently both SOPA and PIPA are being re-worked in hopes of being reintroduced later. These bills are, sadly, still a huge threat to the internet as a whole.

Because of this I too have blacked out my comic for the day. I may not have the largest viewership but if my support causes even one person to learn more or do something then I feel it was worth it. Smile

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If ultimate man is that derivative, it's already illegal for you to make it.

Ultimate man is not so much derivative as it is an homage/parody type character.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am out today but I did double post yesterday
Grand prize winner!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if SOPA and PIPA are meant ultimately as serious legislation or merely as a scare tactic. Whether it passes or not, people will now think twice about doing anything that SOPA and PIPA would consider "infringement" just in case it does pass someday. Sometimes merely talking about a potential law can provide more psychological advantages than actually passing it. The internet has changed, though slightly, simply because this was discussed and hyped so much. It may not be a law, but it's very likely already altering the behavior of many people.
ultimancomics

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got an email from one of the petitions that went around earlier today stating that both SOPA and PIPA were dropped. Hooray for the internet!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ewomack wrote:
I'm not sure if SOPA and PIPA are meant ultimately as serious legislation or merely as a scare tactic. Whether it passes or not, people will now think twice about doing anything that SOPA and PIPA would consider "infringement" just in case it does pass someday. Sometimes merely talking about a potential law can provide more psychological advantages than actually passing it. The internet has changed, though slightly, simply because this was discussed and hyped so much. It may not be a law, but it's very likely already altering the behavior of many people.

There's also the chance that SOPA and PIPA were designed to be so outrageously over-the-top that any less radical legislation will seem reasonable by comparison and pass more easily.

Webcomics - Blog - Twitter
wendyw
The Bomb-diggity

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Max Vaehling wrote:

There's also the chance that SOPA and PIPA were designed to be so outrageously over-the-top that any less radical legislation will seem reasonable by comparison and pass more easily.

That reminds me of a story regarding Team America. They weren't sure the sex scene was going to gets passed the censors so they did exactly this. They filmed a whole load of footage that they had no intention of using, making the sequence far too long and just very unpleasant with the idea that anything they submitted the second time would seem mild in comparison. In the end they did get everything they wanted included in the film.

Anyway, on another note, awesome song/video.

Blog
TonyDiGerolamo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kind of enjoyed the blackout. Gave me a day off!
Snotnarok

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Completely blacking out my site wouldn't have reached many at all, I went for the black bar across your sites header that links to the petition site.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: