TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bad Example Comics - A new webcomic, by me, to you :)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> The "Check out my comic" forum!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bad Example

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:54 am    Post subject: Bad Example Comics - A new webcomic, by me, to you :) Reply with quote

Hello everyone.

Well... don't really know how to start but I've made a webcomic. There are so many people who do this around here that I don't really feel special all of a sudden... damn, gimme back my special!

Aaaanyhow... the comic is about several silly characters, video games, and other things like Satan and dark magic are to be added later on.

Right now it has 9 pages, and I'm constantly working on updating it... which is not as easy as it sounds. From when I began I really found out I have much to improve yet. But I'm working on it. Really. I am.

So... I hope you can check it out and tell me what you think. The link is - http://badexamplecomics.com/

That's all folks Very Happy

*Sits in the corner biting his nails* please please please let them like it... pweeeease...
Madsusie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, the comic isn't bad. You've got a solid start on the writing and the art, and it will only continue to get better as you update.

I have a handful of nitpicks, but they're not too harsh I hope;

A) The font isn't really doing it for me, and i'm not entirely sure but it looks like the font changes at least 2 or 3 times as I read through the comics.

B) I find the lines around the speech bubbles a little thick in some of the comics. I can understand using thick lines if you want to stand out from detail in the background, but the bubbles don't have a lot to contend with so the extra thick line stands out too much.

c) While still on the speech bubbles, I think in http://badexamplecomics.com/HTMLs/page_004.html, the speech bubble could even be split into two bubbles. There is a lot of empty space on the right.

d) In http://badexamplecomics.com/HTMLs/page_005.html, you could really make the joke hit by having a little more facial expression or variation in the last panel (like a super serious face, or a "OH GOD!!!" face). I know his eyes are covered, but he's not even opening his mouth so it feels a little flat when it has so much more comedy potential.

e) An archive would be nice, so you don't have to scroll through the comics only using the previous and next buttons.

I'm interested to see what happens next, this has potential to be a really good comic and has lots of room to grow. Please keep posting, I would like to see more!

www.madsusie.com
Bad Example

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Susie,

First of all thanks alot Smile

Second of all... damn, you have a sharp eye!

About the font you're right - it was changed (once) from a regular font to another font I like a bit more (Comic Sans MS). Don't know why it doesn't do well with you but I'll look into it, maybe you do have a point there... even though to be honest I'm pretty satisfied with it.

About the art - well, to be honest with you - the amount of nitpicks you have for my artwork is nowhere near the amount of nitpicks I have with it. I'm never ever EVER satisfied with it. Even now I can look at the first pages and go "Damn, they're ugly!".

I still have the entire page layout to improve, to work on bubbles, prresentation, gutters, fonts, the artwork itself, facial expressions, body language, motion, you name it - I feel I need to improve it. But I'm working on it, and publishing my work is the only way I know to improve. That way I can see more clearly where I'm wrong and what to improve - plus sometimes I get feedback (thanks btw).

All that said - I do feel the comic is on a solid start (I hope so atleast) and I really hope others will like it. The next couple of pages are going to be a bit different from the previous ones as I feel a compulsive need to draw about Batman: Arkham City. By far the best best best best best PC adventure I've ever been a part of.

So... wow... long post. Sorry about that.

Anyhow - thanks again for your input and please stay tuned.
Madsusie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to the font thing, stock computer fonts have always looked ugly to me. Even though the font that you chose isn't terrible, it doesn't fit with webcomics.

I don't work in comics but I work in the visual field, so something as insignificant as font can make a huge difference. I did a few mock ups with your comic and a few different fonts, there are lots out there to pick from, but Digitalstrip and Evilgenius from Blambot seem to be the ones I run into the most online. And picking a better fitting font could mean the difference between, I just threw this together in MS paint, to, this is professionally put together. Art can be improved on, but a bad font can cheapen it.

(I put your url at the bottom of the page so people wouldn't try to steal it off of imgur)
Bad Example

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow... those are actually rather good.

I'll look into it and I just might take up on your suggestion and change the font.

Thanks! Very Happy

Much appreciated.

Oh... and don't forget to check next week for my next page! Pwetty pwease?
Bad Example

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello everyone. Guess who has a new comic strip? Come on... guess. Nope... guess again. Nope... guess again. (ok ok, I'll stop now - I know it's annotying)

To be a bit more serious - I'm celebrating hitting the 10 page mark, and I do so by starting a new adventure for my dear characters. It continues their failed attempts to get into Diablo beta, but now it takes it up a notch. I won't spoil much but it'll be interesting.

10 pages might not sound much to some people but to me it was NOT easy making it this far. It's getting easier though Smile

So if you want to check it out, here's the new page -

http://badexamplecomics.com/index.html

And if you wonder what happened before that, here's the first page -

http://badexamplecomics.com/HTMLs/page_001.html

Thanks, and I hope you like it.

P.S. - To MadSusie

Susie, I took your advice and changed the font. In fact when my girlfriend saw your response (and me listening to you) she smacked me around the head and told me "I told you so!" (she really did tell me so). So I hope the text looks better now.

Oh, also - I saw your comic and I think it's great, keep up the good job.
dpat57
Ich bin ein webcomicker

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess if the reader isn't familiar with Diablo III, whatever that is, they might not get some of these strips. Smile

But the art and coloring isn't unpleasant, and the dialogue runs smoothly.

I'd copy the navigation buttons so they come after the strip too, so the reader doesn't need to scroll back up to find them again (important with page-size strips).

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dpat57 wrote:
I guess if the reader isn't familiar with Diablo III, whatever that is, they might not get some of these strips. Smile

But the art and coloring isn't unpleasant, and the dialogue runs smoothly.

I'd copy the navigation buttons so they come after the strip too, so the reader doesn't need to scroll back up to find them again (important with page-size strips).

Hello Dpat57.

Thanks alot for the input, I'll take up upon your suggestion to add buttons beneath the page. Silly me for not thinking of it myself but... well... I'm new to this and I'm trying Smile

About Diablo III - to all the readers who don't know what the heck I'm talking about (though I don't know if there are many of them), it's a highly anticipated computer game currently developed by Blizzard.

I fully understand that not everyone get gaming jokes but I really want to write comics about topics I like and computer games happen to be one of them. However I will (and I do) try and make it so that the comics are funny wether you are a gamer or not. I just hope I'll succeed Smile

Anyhow, thanks again for the input and keep on suggesting. I don't know if I can improve right away but to me my comic is a work in progress and I try to improve upon it as I go.

And please come back for more the next time I put out a page - should be sometimes this week, I hope to finish it before weekend.

See you Smile
Bad Example

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello again.

Boy... have I got news for you. Ok, to be honest my news aren't really interesting, but I'm gonna write them anyhow Smile

1st thing first - For some unknown reason, google decided to freeze my AdSense account so for now my webcomic is a non-profitable organization. Not that I did that much profit... I've made like ten bucks in two months and google think I'm ripping them off. And here I was thinking that company was composed entirely of smart people...

Ok, back to buisness (of which I make no money!) - I happily announce that I held my schedule and did put a new page in less than a week. To be honest I'm trying as hell to make the interval between updates even shorter, so I expect in the future I'll be able to upload a new page every three-four days. Just not yet.

The new page sets up the stage for an upcoming plot line that involves... well... you'll get the idea in this page or the next. I sort of plan to expand the comic to beyond a "gamers strip" in this new plot, and I really want to see if I'll be succesfull.

So... if you'd be so kind as to see what the heck I'm babbling about - the new page is here:

http://badexamplecomics.com/

And if you want to check it from the start, the 1st page is here:

Thanks alot for reading, and if you feel like putting forth some constructive criticism I'm always up for that. Just remember that I'm pretty new at this so be gentle Very Happy

Thanks.
Bad Example

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm hard at work working on the next page.

Here's a snipplet of what's to come... (is snipplet a real word or did I just make something up? Now there's a true mystery...)

So anyhow... without further adue...

This is just a small part of the page ofcourse but... I like this dead little guy. He's cutesie wutsie and all he needs is a zombie hugsie wugsie.

Yep... that's it.
Bad Example

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, a new page is up.

I really worked hard on the art there so I hope an improvement is showing... if not then I'll be pretty bummed but that's the best I can do under the circumstances.

I hope I'll continue to improve and I've got the next page pretty much drawn out already. To be honest I'm even more excited about the artwork on the next page than on this one.

As a side note, I'll be having a guest web-comic, which my girlfriend drew up (yeah... she's awesome). It's about me and her only for some unknown reason she draws us both as birds. Why? No idea.

So if you want to check up my latest creation, please go to -

http://www.badexamplecomics.com/

Many thanks
Bad Example

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And it's Bad Example, by a nose! (Horce racing... who'd knew it'd be so exciting, right?)

A really smart book once told me - "The one more important thing than deciding on a schedule for your webcomic, is keeping it". And boy, had it NOT been easy.

Long story short, I'm in a tight studying period where I need to study ALOT, in a short time. This is due to me being lazy and not studying when I should, so now I have to catch up.

So now my job and my studies have taken over all the aspects of my life. And just like japanese octopus having his way with an animated young lady - they didn't leave much room for anything else!

My workout schedule had gone to the gutters, I barely spend time with my girlfriend (even though we did play a Might and Magic Heroes VI hotseat map together, and we won!), and I think I have like three weeks worth of laundry to do...

Now - my previous page took only 3 days to update, this time without me even noticing six days had gone by and I had almost done nothing, except the initial pencils and some tracing. Obviously, that wasn't good.

However... despite such harsh times I did do a page, and I really like how it turned out - especially the zombies Smile

So if you want to check it out - here's the new page:

http://badexamplecomics.com/

And here's the 1st page:

My next project is adding an archive to my website but... that's still a few days to go. Meanwhile I hope you enjoy this update and give me feedback on what do you think.

Thanks.
smbhax.com
No! Don't post it there!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pro tip: stock up on lots of socks and underwear over the years and then you can go months between having to do laundry (and still not smell too bad)! Big time saver. >_>

Bummer about the ads. Once you get to 30 comics you can apply to Project Wonderful if you're still interested in running ads, although yeah if you have the usual just-starting-out level of traffic they'll probably only pay pennies a day in the beginning.

Even though the strip is pretty new I found it interesting to see how much you've already changed about how you do the art. I actually kinda like art in the first strip the most--the crispness of the lighter lines and the solid colors, vs the thicker (and blurrier?) lines and gradient/blurred colors of the more recent pages.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

smbhax.com wrote:
Pro tip: stock up on lots of socks and underwear over the years and then you can go months between having to do laundry (and still not smell too bad)! Big time saver. >_>

Bummer about the ads. Once you get to 30 comics you can apply to Project Wonderful if you're still interested in running ads, although yeah if you have the usual just-starting-out level of traffic they'll probably only pay pennies a day in the beginning.

Even though the strip is pretty new I found it interesting to see how much you've already changed about how you do the art. I actually kinda like art in the first strip the most--the crispness of the lighter lines and the solid colors, vs the thicker (and blurrier?) lines and gradient/blurred colors of the more recent pages.

Ha, even though your pro tip is good, my system works much better - I just don't wear socks and underwear! (Beware of mental images Smile )

About the art evolving - I'm trying to constantly improve and as such I keep trying more elaborate tracing and coloring. The artwork in the first strip was almost the most basic I could think of, and with time I try to complicate things a bit Smile

I don't know if it's for the better or not but I like it, so I'll continue experimenting and hopefully people will like the results.

Hope you'll come back for more and check out my later pages as well.
Thanks Smile
Bad Example

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah darn, it took me a week and a day to update a page. That's beyond schedule so that's not good. In my defence there shall be said that it's holiday season, I was drunk half of it and also I tried to create a special bad-example holiday wallpaper that didn't turn up the way I wanted so I had to cancel that project.

All in all - I'm still struggling with some aspects of digital art, mainly coloring (hate coloring!). I try to do my best but stupid photoshop hates me. Well you just wait photoshop, one day I'm gonna get manga studio and your lazy ass is out of here!!!

Anyhow - I'm still not copmletely happy with my drawings, for some reason I get much better results with pencils than with photoshop but I'm working on improving and here's my latest update.

http://badexamplecomics.com/index.html

Hope you like it, and feel free to send some feedback my way.

Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> The "Check out my comic" forum! All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: