TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wall Street Protest
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Are you angry that the rich is getting richer and we are left to paid the bills?
Hell Yea!!!
85%
 85%  [ 6 ]
I am that 1% that got all the money =P
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Where is Wall Street? ... "Pitch fork"
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Ummm no.... I wish I was them...
14%
 14%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 7

smbhax.com
No! Don't post it there!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn hippies.
Grand prize winner!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The movement definitely needs direction and a less exclusively theatrical approach. But many movements start out as a rag-tag outing such as this and grow into something larger. New coherent social movements rarely appear out of nowhere.

Changing the system has become a nearly impossible task these days. But they have a message that at least resonates with many people. Whether they will actually accomplish anything, I have no idea.
smbhax.com
No! Don't post it there!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Casual Notice wrote:
Pffft...they wish they were hippies.

I know! Pretty sad when we've reached the point where we can hold up hippies as models to aspire to for social change, at least compared to what society seems to be generating now. =P
No! Don't post it there!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see why that's such a bad thing. ;)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been covering the occupy movement here in NS and, i dunno about the rest of the world but it seams pretty coherent from where I'm standing.

the reason they don't have a "solid goal" is simple. their goal is to take action to improve our world instead of waiting for elected men who are, according to most of the protesters, bought off by big money.

So then, you have hundreds of people, each with a slightly different view on the situation, the only way to really get an action plan is to gather everyone together under this common goal and using the democratic process in it's purist form, you slowly, but surely, get people to figure out the best courses of action.

I'm sure there's going to be a point when the plans will have to be voted on, but the hope is that they'll be plans that allow everyone to have at least their basic needs met while protecting the environment and human rights.

the fact that the protest doesn't fit into an ideological or a sensational niche, which in my opinion is the biggest issue when it comes to public opinion of the protest, isn't a bad thing.

North America, at least Canada (since I'm Canadian) hasn't seen true democracy on this scale in a long time. the reason I say that with confidence is that the definition of democracy demands that everyone who wants to be heard has a chance to be heard. in an country sized government that's just not possible, (and not necessarily a bad thing). But it's important, especially when Canadian banks make 16 billion dollars in one year and Canadian unemployment rises steadily. or when, as citizens of Canada we have to constantly be on guard that metered internet billing doesn't get forced onto us despite the operational cost to the internet providers being negligible.

I should blog about all of this once I'm done putting together my short docu about Occupy NS. because there's no way I can justify ranting farther.

anyways, comments? retorts? critique?
Traegorn

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skyeboy wrote:
Thought this was an interesting pic. It doesn't reflect my opinion exactly but it speaks volumes:
Wow, that's a loaded false comparison of no relevance if I've ever seen one.
smbhax.com
No! Don't post it there!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it leads to any degree of bank reform, that's super; they're already claiming to have forced the hands of big banks on a couple issues, I guess. Pessimistically though I tend to think that anything the banks *did* do as a reaction now will be steadily undermined as soon as such protests blow over, which I would think they'd have to do at some point...although so far they've had some surprising staying power.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree this image is loaded. Some of the Nova Scotia veterans actually asked the Occ.NS not to move from their location (the same location remembrance day ceremonies are held every year) saying that they fought for the right for this to happen.

in general, weather they want them to stick around on the 11th or not, the veterans (and the police, which can't be said for some cities experiencing this) have no complaints about what's happening down at Occ. NS.

Also it's important to note that (In NS at least) there are truckloads of homeless vets. just one of the side effects of what the Occ. movement is fighting against.

the soldiers who fought in 1944 deserve everything these 2011 kids are asking for.

In my opinion.
citronrobotlord

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, I can't speak much for wall street. besides that the amount of communities out there are so much that, from what I understand, the diversity is massive.

But I can say that as a canadian, my country does aim to be a democracy, at least in how it talks. And honestly, on small scales democracy does work.

Also, as for the dissuasion from informing police about felonies, that subject has become rather muddied as the occupy wall-street website has sited that NY's occupy actually helped police to catch the predator they have been accused of letting walk free.

Due to the fact that I am in neither region I can't make a solid opinion on the matter.

What's really necessary, I think, is for all these occupy protests to set up a system of sociovalence and co-operate with police seeing as the police are part of the 99%, while at the same time the police should be doing the same. Which I am confident in saying, isn't always the case.

I think it's also important to realize that yeah, there will be vandals that piggy back on a protest like this. Perhaps even consider that these vandals are sometimes a byproduct of a society that crushes people to survive.

If you've read about debt based money, you realize that Canada and the US share that in common. And the thing about debt based money is, if someone's not broke the country's not paying back its debt.

But here in NS, from the people I've talked to, even the lazy bums and vandals in our city have been learning allot from this protest. I haven't heard of any broken windows, despite them being in parade square which is across the street from the CIBC and the TD banks. just a few blocks from the Bank of Canada. and directly in front of city hall.

Perhaps, NS should become the shining example for all the other Occupies to look at, and copy, because if the other occupy are as bad as so many people say they are, the need to kick themselves in the butt
smbhax.com
No! Don't post it there!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Casual Notice wrote:
FYI: BoA et al didn't back down on their idiot debit card fees because of anything OWS did. They backed down because the minute the announcement was made, smaller banks broke out advertisements announcing that they had no intention of attaching (more) ridiculous fees to their accounts. BoA et al just didn't want to lose customers to a competitor. the Only people OWS is hurting are the actual 99% who are trying to work for a living but being bullied by trust-fund babies and geriatric hippies.

Yeah that does sound like a more likely explanation.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Casual Notice wrote:
Quote:
If you've read about debt based money, you realize that Canada and the US share that in common. And the thing about debt based money is, if someone's not broke the country's not paying back its debt.

Oh, my...someone's been watching too many YouTube "tutorials" on the economy.
[/quote]

I really appreciate your description of the current currency, I have the assent of money which isn't a youtube "tutorial"

Also to clarify, as much as the zeitgeist film is flawed in many ways it holds true to one point.

The worth of our money is based on how much is owed back, that won't change weather the system works under good circumstances or not.

The big problem. in my opinion. is when the world allows basic human needs, such as a place to live, clothing to wear (this is a debatable need according to some people in warmer climates but here in Canada it's not), nutritional health, and the ability to communicate freely to be trumped by money.

Honestly I agree that trade systems could never work in a global economy, and gold couldn't either. What I agree with is that the economy that we work under needs to be mediated and transparent. It took an audit for the US to find out that their FED lost trillions of dollars to over seas banks, that's not a currency that's working for the people, in my opinion.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: