TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

First Comic Book you've ever read?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TWCL Forum Index -> The Archive Room
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CoinOperatedGirl

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first comics I read where probable Tom Puss comics made by Marten Toonder

Either that or Astrix and Obelix. I also read all the Elfquest's the local library had to offer Razz. All of the Elfquest magazines can be read online for free by the way.. in case someone feels nostalgic.
ewomack
Grand prize winner!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I have no idea... I started reading comics at a very early age without much discretion, so it was probably a Star Wars, Archie, Dennis the Menace or Batman comic... exactly which one I'll never know...
Varethane

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure my first comic ever was Tintin. :D

Either that, or Asterix and Obelix.

(also, omfg Elfquest I became OBSESSED with those when I was about 12 and found them in the public library.... also Love and Rockets and Bone were discovered around the same time)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calvin and Hobbes, I think...? Other newspaper strips too, but Calvin and Hobbes was the first I got into enough to read anthologies. I was too young to remember clearly.
JakobVirgil

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

comic book not strip would be

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little Lulu was mine.
MGS

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first I really remember was an old issue of Superman where he turns green and his friends have to shoot him into the sun.

I remember this mostly for how much it scared the crap out of me as a kid.

If anyone knows WHAT COMIC I'M REFERRING TOO, please LET ME KNOW. I would love to get my hands on a copy of it.
MGS

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:42 pm    Post subject: Donate Comics and Maybe Yours Will Be a Kid's First Comic! Reply with quote

On a similar note to this thread, I volunteer for a non-profit in Miami, ComicEd, that gives free comic books to kids. We screen all the comics for age-appropriate content at weekly reading meetings, and it's so much fun to run across so many comics I remember reading as a kid (not to mention reading tons of donated comics for free.

If you have any kid-friendly comics you don't want or need, you should consider donating them to ComicEd. For more information on how to donate, visit the ComicEd webpage at www.comiced.org.

Who knows, maybe the comic you donate will be a kid's first comic book!

p.s. The kids send us letters for free comics, and so many of them are absolutely ecstatic to receive their comics in the mail. One girl said she was only able to read her comic four times because her sister stole it and wouldn't give it back until she had read it five times!
MGS

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@iaviv

I'm not sure if that's the one, but it has been a little while. In the comic I'm thinking of, I seem to remember Superman, after turning green (and perhaps even developing green boils), being loaded into a rocket and launched into the sun. But I do also remember Supergirl being in it. As I said, I was quite young, and it's been a long time and a whole ton of comics since then.

Thanks though.
jazylh

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whao! I probably don't remember exactly but I read the mini comics that came with the He-man & the Masters of the Universe figs since as long as I can remember.
MGS

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@jazylh

YES! The He-Man comics! How could I have forgotten about those?! So awesome!

I have an old stack of them that I'm going to go read right now. Thanks for reminding me about them!
citronrobotlord

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly can't remember. :\
my local library stuffed all the comic books into a corner of the adults books section, and I read through most of them.

I guess my first comics were a mixture of Garfield, ranma 1/2, and also this compilation of a bunch of DC comics which was falling apart and everything past the first page of a rubber man comic was missing. I may be blessed for that. lol.

but honestly, the only two i really remember from back then aren't any of the Garf. or Ranma. The two that stick out in my mind the most would be Batman: no mans land. and Akira.

god knows what Akira did to my 10 Y/O brain... :\
thegooddoctor

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the first time i remember getting into comics it was reading some old fantastic four comics. i'm not even that big of a fan now, but i remember that was my first.

Read Sad Elephant Comics here.

Follow me on Twitter or Facebook.
hanged

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably those short comics inserted inside a Captain Underpants book, Captain Underpants and the Night of the Living Lunch Ladies in first grade. Pretty sure I didn't know comics existed before that.
Old Herb

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, must've been something like Tintin, Lucky Luke, Elfquest, Garfield, stuff like that. I was very big on comics as a kid, and the local library was a treasure trove in that regard. Still am a bit of a comic nut, but mostly read webcomics nowadays.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TWCL Forum Index -> The Archive Room All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: