TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Practice Comics"

View previous topic :: View next topic  
halflight

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I had a similar conundrum and I decided to just go with what I was passionate about and learn along the way. It's worked out pretty well for me so far, and because I care about my story, I have the motivation to keep going.
cjjoughin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before starting my comic I did a test chapter for my grad school pre-thesis. I picked a point in the story later on that I felt would be interesting and challenging to draw and would help me understand how I wanted my comic to look and gave me a chance to get feedback from my classmates.

I was pretty sure I was going to go ahead anyway and I'm glad I did the test chapter. I'll be redrawing it later on and expanding upon it as my fourth chapter so it doesn't feel like wasted time at all and my art improved a lot just from that chapter. My comic is a fairly elaborate scifi story that will probably take about 7-10 years to finish so yeah, never a bad idea to give it a test.
cjjoughin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

4LS wrote:
If you think you can come up with a short test idea that you'll be interested in enough to work through, then I'd definitely recommend doing that first. Personally, I jumped straight in with my epic, and if I had the time (and inclination) I'd go back now and redraw the first 30 pages.

Even though I did do a test I still feel this way. I've told myself that when I'm ready to compile the first book, which is about the first four chapters, then I'll allow myself to go back and make edits because hopefully at that point I'll feel like my art is solidified enough.

Still, so glad I did a test chapter. It gave me A LOT to think about and figure before I actually began.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: