TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

APE - San Francisco, October 1-2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Clint Wolf

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on the table, TBR! What name are you exhibiting under? We're flying the Lab Reject Studios banner again, table 606 should anyone wish to say hi, or perhaps take a swing at us (WARNING: my wife knows karate).

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is our first time ever being there, but from what I've heard I don't think it's a big cosplay show, and while manga/anime stylings will no doubt have some presence, they won't be front and center.

There is programming, the link is here if you want to see what's going on: http://www.comic-con.org/ape/ape_prog.php

The pricing seems great, $10 for a one-day pass or $15 for both days. I'm excited because it's supposed to be a show where Indy is king, so people are going there looking for the new and different and possibly obscure.

TBR, I've heard tell that APE is a show where people imbibe alcohol at their tables, to the point of artists surrounded by stacked beer bottles by the end of the day. But I'll believe that when I see it, so far the only Con I've been to with beer allowed on the floor was Wizard World: Anaheim. Some hanging out on Saturday night sounds like a possibility though Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I don't think we're going back. At least not next year. The most objective analysis I can give is that either you already have to be indy famous (Kate Beaton did extremely well), or a returning regular, or you have to have the support of a particular subculture community like the LGBT folks. Ideally, you're all three.

It's all well and good to say get out there and hustle before the show and let people know you'll be there, but most people I talked to that were attendees were either local to the area or checking the show out while they happened to be in San Francisco anyhow... in other words, they didn't come to SF specifically for APE. If you're not coming in for the show in the first place, how many people are going to travel long-distance to see a particular comic? And let's face it, most webcomic audiences are long-distance.

Dawn and I both felt like it was a very different crowd, and the acoustics in the hall made it so hard to hear people, even in low traffic times, that I'm still up in the air whether my greetings to people looking through our stuff just went unheard or APE attendees just like being stonily silent. If the answer is that you've got to jump around and wave your arms constantly and quote Glengarry Glen Ross in order to sell, then I'll just stick to the conventions where I don't have to do that, i.e. every other one we've exhibited at.

If we were closer to the show we might give a shot at doing it for a few years to see if we could build up some recognition audience that way, but after giving it the ol' college try I just don't think it's the best use of our budget and time. Usually even if we don't do well on sales I feel like we at least made up for it from a promotional standpoint, but at APE it really seemed like I couldn't even hand out the freebies.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: