TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

APE - San Francisco, October 1-2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TBROtomo
Awarded one cookie.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:04 pm    Post subject: APE - San Francisco, October 1-2 Reply with quote

Anyone going? I'll have a table for the first time at any con! Yay. So I hope I'll get to see some of you there. I know the awesome folk from Zombie Ranch will have a table as well.

A hero and villain in love. Updates Wednesdays.
CMorgan
^_^

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oooh yeah. Im looking forward to seeing Katie Beaton and all the other wonderful guests/tables:
http://www.comic-con.org/ape/ape_guests.php

Last year Tiny kitten teeth, riceboy, the meek, Templar Arizona ,and countless other webcomics had tables there, sure hope to see them all again ^___^
Clint Wolf

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on the table, TBR! What name are you exhibiting under? We're flying the Lab Reject Studios banner again, table 606 should anyone wish to say hi, or perhaps take a swing at us (WARNING: my wife knows karate).
Awarded one cookie.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back Row Comis Table 743. We're debuting a 44 page short story anthology half written by me, and half written by my co-publisher Brady Sullivan, who is incidentally a way better writer than I am. Should be fun. Smile Perhaps you would like to imbibe alochol later in the day?

LATComic

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone should rent table 404 and not show up.
TBROtomo
Awarded one cookie.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LATComic wrote:
Someone should rent table 404 and not show up.

Someone with a daily humor strip, go go go! Instant free joke from LATComic.

NaarieKermie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just recently heard about this convention and I'm a bit interested, especially since it's so close by. At the same time I'm a little apprehensive because I'm not sure what to expect. I've been to conventions before but they've all been anime themed (Fanime regular for the past 11 years). I tried checking out the website but didn't really get a good feel for it.

Is it only about selling/buying? Are there many panels? What's the biggest draw? Do people cosplay? Are there any unspoken 'rules' or 'customs' I should be aware of (IE "glomping" within the anime community)?

I would very much like to explore other facets of my geeky-ness and support the indy community at the same time... but in situations like this I feel like such a n00b and that's a feeling I'd rather leave back in my High School years.
Clint Wolf

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is our first time ever being there, but from what I've heard I don't think it's a big cosplay show, and while manga/anime stylings will no doubt have some presence, they won't be front and center.

There is programming, the link is here if you want to see what's going on: http://www.comic-con.org/ape/ape_prog.php

The pricing seems great, $10 for a one-day pass or $15 for both days. I'm excited because it's supposed to be a show where Indy is king, so people are going there looking for the new and different and possibly obscure.

TBR, I've heard tell that APE is a show where people imbibe alcohol at their tables, to the point of artists surrounded by stacked beer bottles by the end of the day. But I'll believe that when I see it, so far the only Con I've been to with beer allowed on the floor was Wizard World: Anaheim. Some hanging out on Saturday night sounds like a possibility though Very Happy
Awarded one cookie.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clint Wolf wrote:
TBR, I've heard tell that APE is a show where people imbibe alcohol at their tables, to the point of artists surrounded by stacked beer bottles by the end of the day. But I'll believe that when I see it, so far the only Con I've been to with beer allowed on the floor was Wizard World: Anaheim. Some hanging out on Saturday night sounds like a possibility though Very Happy

HOO-HA! This is gonna be my kinda con!

NaarieKermie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. Very Happy It sounds like it could be interesting and for tickets so cheap I'd say it's worth checking out.

I don't mind manga/anime not being prominent. Fanime just happened to be the convention my friends and I latched onto in Jr High and have been going to ever since (even though I can't remember the last time I even watched an anime...). I've expanded my hobbies greatly since then so a wider variety is right up my alley. Smile

Are you both getting booths this year? If so could you perhaps post about your experiences afterwards? I would love to hear about what it's like there as a seller. With all that insider information I could totally have a kick ass booth next year when I have more than a couple months of web comicking under my belt.
Fat Bunny

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys who went ---- how did you do there? I have a friend who went and said it was excruciating. I'm really curious to know about other people's experiences.

---------------
Love,
http://www.thefatbunny.com
TBROtomo
Awarded one cookie.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fat Bunny wrote:
Guys who went ---- how did you do there? I have a friend who went and said it was excruciating. I'm really curious to know about other people's experiences.

It wasn't great. Too many vendors, not enough people. I didn't see many badges walk buy that weren't vendors with their own tables. Really weird.

CMorgan
^_^

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.comicsbeat.com/2011/10/03/deb-aoki-on-updating-ape/
An article with a nice open discussion on APE and how to improve it.

I have been attending Ape for about 5 years now (as a consumer) and i usually drop some bucks there. I go to see specific people, talk with them and buy their comics. I don't think its something you can make money at if your not well known or don't make self promotion a high priority.
A lot of the tables are art students pooling together money so they can hang out a weekend and sell prints (i should know, many of them go to my college).
But I think if your taking it seriously it can be a good opportunity to make money or at least get yourself out there and be noticed.
Its definitely a con I will get a booth at someday (if all goes well).

anyways , here are some quotes form the link i posted
Quote:

"I walked around that exhibit hall at least three times and while I dislike the kind of exhibitor who reaches out amd forces stuff into your hand it seems to me that most of the people with booths seemed content to sit, stare at their shoes, play amgry birds or stare off into the dostance. Some people perhaps did not do well because they lacked the energy for what it takes to do well at any convention. Doing well means more than showing up and having a cool book, you need to get out in front of thiese things and let people know you are going to be there. Selling is about, welll, selling and you have to remember to ABC (always be closing) and you have to do a fair amount of work BEFORE you get there in order to have a shot at success."

Quote:
I like that working a booth at APE is very low stakes and low pressure. We donít feel like we need to hustle and push product to make back travel, hotel, booth and food costs like we do in San Diego. Everything sells pretty well at APE, better when the artist is there to sign, just like Comic Con, but unlike Comic Con I can have a drink with vendor/artist friends and walk the floor and actually look at stuff. Also, the crowd at APE has always been more friendly with us, especially about artists being at the booth or not being at the booth. There are people that I dread to see at Comic Con every year, but not yet at APE.
Clint Wolf

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I don't think we're going back. At least not next year. The most objective analysis I can give is that either you already have to be indy famous (Kate Beaton did extremely well), or a returning regular, or you have to have the support of a particular subculture community like the LGBT folks. Ideally, you're all three.

It's all well and good to say get out there and hustle before the show and let people know you'll be there, but most people I talked to that were attendees were either local to the area or checking the show out while they happened to be in San Francisco anyhow... in other words, they didn't come to SF specifically for APE. If you're not coming in for the show in the first place, how many people are going to travel long-distance to see a particular comic? And let's face it, most webcomic audiences are long-distance.

Dawn and I both felt like it was a very different crowd, and the acoustics in the hall made it so hard to hear people, even in low traffic times, that I'm still up in the air whether my greetings to people looking through our stuff just went unheard or APE attendees just like being stonily silent. If the answer is that you've got to jump around and wave your arms constantly and quote Glengarry Glen Ross in order to sell, then I'll just stick to the conventions where I don't have to do that, i.e. every other one we've exhibited at.

If we were closer to the show we might give a shot at doing it for a few years to see if we could build up some recognition audience that way, but after giving it the ol' college try I just don't think it's the best use of our budget and time. Usually even if we don't do well on sales I feel like we at least made up for it from a promotional standpoint, but at APE it really seemed like I couldn't even hand out the freebies.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow... that's kinda disappointing. I didn't make it this year myself (found out too late) but I was planning on going next year. Now I'm not so sure.

I was reading the comments from @CMorgan's link and it sounds like this convention is a little... lost? Like it's not sure what it is anymore. It doesn't know its target demographs so doesn't know what type to appeal to. I don't know but that's the impression I'm getting.

Now I'm not sure if I want to go next year. I don't know if my target audience will be there. It's really starting to sound very "hipster indy" and I don't think I have any appeal with that crowd. ^^;
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: