TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I've got a fever... and the only cure is MORE ARTISTS.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BetaRayBilly

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:05 am    Post subject: I've got a fever... and the only cure is MORE ARTISTS. Reply with quote

Hi y’all. I’m Morgan Vierling, posting on behalf of myself and my co-writer, Victor Thompson. We have about 240 pages of script done, and are looking for help getting it drawn. We technically already have an artist in our friend Ryan. But, Ryan, well… he’s proved unreliable for a long time now. He’s doesn’t have the time or the discipline. We have no finalized pages from him, and only a handful sketched out. So we either need someone who can assist him, drawing certain scenes or perhaps handling the coloring process, or a person or persons capable of taking over the reins entirely.

Our comic is going to be ongoing indefinitely with short story arcs. We like to think of it as a character driven series, but there is a heavy emphasis on action as well. Our main focus is on a core group of six young people who find themselves recruited into a sponsored superhero team. The roster includes Null, who projects fields which dampen kinetic energy, and Silhouette, whose body has transformed into a near-fluid state. The team struggles to fight the good fight in a world where superpowers are rapidly becoming a dime a dozen. Common themes include the reshaping of a new world order, escapism, faith, and what it actually means to be human. The title of the comic is The Elect, and no, that does not make it a “Christian” comic, despite the reference and a focus on the faith of some characters.

What we currently have completed is the first story arc. It is broken up into eight issues, averaging about 30 pages each. The average page is between 4-6 panels. We are not feeling especially picky about the style of art of employed, with one exception. We strongly prefer a Western style to an Eastern style. We are not going for a manga look here. This doesn’t mean that those of you with an Eastern influence need not apply. It just means that we are more inclined to pick someone whose style fits our personal taste.

As for realism, this is a serious story, and we aren’t going for a goofy aesthetic. That said, some of our favorite artists tend to employ more stylized than realistic art, and that can work just fine with us. For some examples of art we love, check out:

Ryan Ottely’s work on Invincible (just google it, it’s pretty much all amazing.)

Stuart Immonen’s work on Nextwave:
http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2010/02/02/a-year-of-cool-comics-day-33/

And Cameron Stewart’s work on Batman and Robin.
http://imageshack.us/g/51/bar1613.jpg/

We would strongly prefer color, but if that isn’t practical, we are more than open to black and white. Some of our panel descriptions have a focus on color, but we can rework the aesthetic to accommodate black and white as well. Dr. McNinja, for example, did great things without color- I sometimes wish they hadn’t switched over.

Hosting will of course be our responsibility, and not the artist's.

Finally, what we can offer the artist is… not as much as we would like. We could perhaps make a small, upfront payment- something like a dollar a page- we don’t have the money to pay you what you would deserve for this project. Which means that we need to offer other incentives. Should the comic make money, the artist will of course be entitled to a fair share of the profits.

The exact percentage is up for negotiation, depending upon the level of input from the artist. If you are only helping Ryan draw half the pages, or you are simply coloring, then you of course will get less than a person willing to draw all eight issues in their entirety. That said, we have no plans to be greedy. We want this drawn for creative reasons, and if we need to give you half the earnings to get it done, we won’t starve.

One last note- we are currently in the process of researching what we need to do to copyright our material, and thus are going to be careful about what we send out. If we don’t already have adequate records proving these ideas are our own, we will within the week. So please don’t try and steal from us, assembled internet. Smile

Now, let us leave you with a couple samples of our writing. Character descriptions aren’t really included here, since they are described elsewhere, but let me know if you guys want them.

Hope some of you like what you see, and we look forward to working with any interested parties. Very Happy

Quote:
PAGE 1
Time Caption: Now
4 equal panels, stacked on top of each other. Move the camera in each panel, so we get a different dynamic perspective of the team talking. Each one should be a close up on at least the members talking. Background up to you, could be the Null field, could be bad guys, whatever.

Panel 1: Sledge is on her feet, looking a little groggy, since she just got up after being zapped unconscious, but she’s getting ready to kick ass. Null is holding one pistol, and pocketing the other as he looks around.

Val: All right, how are we doing this?
Null: We should fall back. We can move somewhere they can’t swarm us—

Panel 2: Lynn, who is standing in the lead now, shoots a remark over her shoulder at Null.

Lynn: *$(% that. Their genefreak’s down, and we have momentum.
I’m calling a Hail Mary; it’s time for us to drop as many as we can before they run off

Panel 3: Sledge cracks her knuckles, Tim looks apprehensive and has an arrow notched.

Val: I like the way you think, Silhouette. Let’s get this over with.
Tim: Uh, guys, maybe we should listen to Null here…

Panel 4: Lynn and Val have stepped up front, and have their eyes front and center.

Lynn: You can hang back and mop up if you want to, boys. Sledge and I will have this wrapped up quick.
You hit them high, I’ll hit them low. Ready?

PAGE 2

Panel 1: Sledge takes off from the ground in an arc, taking her to the huge line of goons in front of them. She’s attracting their attention and bullets are being fired in her direction. Lynn, Meanwhile, is fast oozing across the ground in a kind of a snake like form, but without a distinct head or anything, just long and tubular. Null is turning and running the other way, towards Pierce. Timisn’t sure which way to go.

Null: Shit! Tim, just follow me!

Panel 2: The front most goons, who had their eyes on Sledge, are suddenly find their legs sweeped out from under them by the snaking Lynn.

Panel 3: Just as the next dudes in line have their attention drawn by Lynn, Sledge comes crashing down feet first like a meteorite behind them, scattering goons.

Panel 4: Null and Timare running to Pierce. The dudes who were beating him up before are in their way, so Timis delivering a jumping kick to one’s face. Another is swinging his bat at Null, but a field is stopping the bat mid swing. Null is shifting his grip on the gun, so he is holding it by the barrel for a pistol whip. I picture a side camera view.

Tim: Judo Kick!

Panel 5: Null is swinging grip of the gun into the goons temple like it’s a hatchet. Dude is obviously not happy about this. If space allows, you can show Tim hitting another dude in the background.

Null: You’re having a little too much fun here, man.

Quote:
Pierce p. 1
Time Caption: 8 Weeks in the Future.

Panel 1: Wide across top of page. Black.

Panel 2: Another all-black panel, this time with a single speech bubble in the middle.
Tux (Unattributed): Lights.

Panel 3: The lights are on and we see Stoker sitting at a gray table in a gray room. He looks like the light is bothering him, like he’s just woken up or something. He’s wearing pajamas.

Panel 4: Stoker looks like something’s got his attention.

Tux (Unattributed): You’re not in bed, Peter. Now wake up and listen to me.
Stoker: Huhwah?

Panel 5: Wide across bottom of the page. Tux is sitting at the gray table, his folded hands resting on the table project a false sense of patience.

Tux: Sol City was supposed to be my Camelot of Crime, the exemplar to which the rest of my empire modeled itself.

Of course, I can’t run a world-wide organization and bother myself with the goings-on of one city. That’s micromanaging. That’s inefficient.

Pierce p. 2

Panel 1: Another wide panel with Tux patiently sitting at the table.

Tux: I needed the best man I had to handle this city for me, to cultivate my capitol.
Do you still think yourself the best man for the job, Mr. Stoker?

Panel 2: Stoker is looking confident, like he thinks Tux is joking with him and is about to offer him a raise or something.

Stoker: Well, strictly speaking by the, ah, numbers, I’d say &@#$ yes.

Panel 3: Tux is handing Stoker a manila envelope.

Tux: I hope you won’t mind explaining a few things to me, then.

Panel 4: Stoker is taking the envelope. He has a smug smile on his face.

Stoker: Ah, is that what this is about, a few numbers irregularities?

Panel 5: Wide across bottom. Tux is standing on the right of the page, leaning with his arms on the table, getting all up in Stoker’s face. He’s probably shouting at him. Stoker looks surprised and almost like he’s hiding behind the folder.

Tux: Did you think I would waste my time here with a few “numbers irregularities”?
You think your meager skimming off the top would warrant my personal attention?

Pierce p. 3
Panel 1: Stoker is reading the contents of the folder with a worried look on his face. Imagine reading your own death warrant for the first time in front of the executioner.

Stoker: I…uh… well…

Panel 2: Tux is reaching into his bag for something else.

Tux: Truly eloquent, Pete. You should write a novel someday.
There’s one other thing I thought you should look at.

Panel 3: Big panel in the middle of the page. Tux flings the decapitated head of Bedrock, one of the metas involved in “murdering” Pierce. Bedrock is essentially just a big rock-man. I always imagine him with a ponytail of regular hair, for some reason.

Bedrock’s head: Hey, boss.

Panel 4: Stoker is freaking out
Stoker: Wh-wh-wh… Where’s his body?

Panel 5: Tux is standing behind Bedrock’s head, kinda to the right.

Tux: Being made of stone, Bedrock has a quite unique biology. In short, we now know that he can survive rather brutal dismemberment.
Tell him what you told me.
Bedrock: Well…

Sorry for the formatting- it reads a little better on a word document.

Last edited by BetaRayBilly on Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
BetaRayBilly

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: I've had a second artist express interest. However, there are 3 main plot lines in the first story arc, and a different artist would be dandy for each. Also, time will tell if this artist will follow through or not. So if you have an interest (or a tip on how I should go about this search,) let me know!

I can be emailed at betaraybilly@gmail.com if people prefer not to post discuss things directly on the forum.
BetaRayBilly

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After browsing through this forum more, I would like to add a note that we are willing to discuss a price for up front payments per page. What we can afford to offer per page may depend on how many pages you do. I probably can't afford to pay ten dollars for the 230+ pages currently written, but perhaps we can afford five dollars a page for a 30 page issue, or something. It will need to be negotiated between myself, my partners, and the artist. But honestly, at this point I am willing to invest to see this project come to life. I think I might justify the cost as a Christmas present to my co-writer. Very Happy
vulpeslibertas
Level 1 threat

Location: Here and there...mostly there. Sometimes kinda in between.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a tip, you may consider learning to draw. You can gain some pretty remarkable art skills hacking through 240 pages of comic.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vulpeslibertas wrote:
As a tip, you may consider learning to draw. You can gain some pretty remarkable art skills hacking through 240 pages of comic.

It's been considered, believe you me. At this point, it's probably my logical next step. I simply haven't had the time to nurture the skill though-- but I'm almost finished with this semester, so maybe I ought to give it a shot over the break.

I know there is no shortage of "how to draw comics" resources out there. Anyone have a recommendation for one?

Of course, I'm still hoping to recruit an artist with a little more confidence and experience.
vulpeslibertas
Level 1 threat

Location: Here and there...mostly there. Sometimes kinda in between.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BetaRayBilly wrote:
Anyone have a recommendation for one?

Sorry, I don't off the top of my head, but folks around here are pretty good about giving artistic advice, especially as it applies to art for comics.

And, after 240 pages of comic art, you'd be surprised on how much practice that is. I'd just get started. Or, if you're picky, do a smaller throw-away comic project that will help you get your skills up for the Big One. If you want to make a 3-5 page throw-away comic, one page at a time, I'd gladly give you advice on each page. (Not that I'm the world's greatest artist, but I know other better artists here will chip in).

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vulpeslibertas wrote:
BetaRayBilly wrote:
Anyone have a recommendation for one?

Sorry, I don't off the top of my head, but folks around here are pretty good about giving artistic advice, especially as it applies to art for comics.

And, after 240 pages of comic art, you'd be surprised on how much practice that is. I'd just get started. Or, if you're picky, do a smaller throw-away comic project that will help you get your skills up for the Big One. If you want to make a 3-5 page throw-away comic, one page at a time, I'd gladly give you advice on each page. (Not that I'm the world's greatest artist, but I know other better artists here will chip in).

I think I might need to start a little slower-- I can barely draw a circle, or a straight line, or make something symmetrical. Confused

I appreciate the tips though. I reckon I should practice with some character sketches of my guys and gal in costume and street clothes to start off. I think getting a solidified look down on paper for all of them is important no matter who winds up doing the art.

I'll let you guys know if I have anything to show you!
Chilari
Spambot Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I you do want to get started drawing, just grab some paper and pencil and sketch whatever is on your desk - your keys, your glasses, a pot of pens, your non-drawing hand. Get a feel for line and shadow and shape, and go from there. Start small and simple and work your way up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> The Dogpile All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum