TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

is art the only thing that matters in a webcomic.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
takoyama

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:54 am    Post subject: is art the only thing that matters in a webcomic. Reply with quote

There are some comics online that are stick figure comics that are good and there are some comics online that have AMAZING ART BUT IS BORING. i make my webcomic to fill a creative need i have it is not the best drawn but it is not the worst either. i guess my question is

would you give a webcomic a pass on so so art if it had a interesting story?
Snotnarok

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say it depends, I've seen comics with a very 'simplistic' style that are a great read. However I've seen comics that are action-y that have lack luster poses and no sense of umph in the attacks they're trying to show off.

That's not to say the comic is bad and not worth reading but that it's got room to grow and it'll get better.
rocketpig

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I try not to weight one over the other. In my opinion, every good comic has a healthy mix of good art and writing (yes, even xkcd... "good art" does not necessarily mean "complex").

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some random observations.

There are certainly examples on how actually neither of good art and a good story is strictly needed, eg. Dinosaur Comics, Natalie Dee. The comic portions of xkcd also fall here, I think; what graphical interest the comic has is mostly in the field of design than art IMO. (Not that that's a clean-cut boundary.) But this seems to be a rare thing to pull off.

Upon a little reflection, it is also fairly rare for me to really enjoy a story where I have to keep looking "past" the art (rather than "thru" or "at")… but this does occur as well. The Mansion of E would be one such example.

I would also argue that a large part of webmangas out there, while superficially pretty, are anything but "good" art, once you take a closer look (including things like composition).

Art evolution is also a thing. Schlock Mercenary may be the best example I can think of of a comic that started out looking pretty horrible but has evolved to an entirely professional level. If you have patience and a will to practice, don't worry if your skills aren't much now: you'll get better.

If you really really can't draw, photocomics and sprite comics are also an option, and probably not even such a bad one if you can avoid the usual pitfalls. That is, you'll want to take inspiration from Irregular Webcomic or MS Paint Adventures, not Bob and George… (8-bit Theatre may be a borderline case.)

And as a last resort, there's always the "fuck it, I'll go abstract" option, even if "underground cult classic" is apparently then the best status you may even hope for. See eg. Triangle and Robert.

(Perhaps unfairly, shitty stories with competent art can thrive much better, since art is the first thing your visitors will see of the comic. Especially if the premise itself is interesting and it's just the delivery that doesn't hold up.)
ewomack
Grand prize winner!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like most lawyers say, it all depends... some types of comics seem more conducive to stick figures or electronically drawn figures that look more drag and dropped than penned. XKCD is the classic example here. It's unbelievably popular but would never win any art awards. Though, at the same time, it definitely has a distinctive and non-sloppy style. It's not scribblings by any means. But, most importantly, the style fits the atmosphere of the comic. Imagine the style of XKCD in a serious adventure/thriller comic. Such a combination would probably only work in a tongue-in-cheek sense. But it definitely works for XKCD, no matter what one thinks of the art. Comics need an art style consistent with the genre and overall mood of the strip. With such flexibility there's room for "bad art" to work, but the "bad art" would have to appear deliberate and not just sloppy to work. Great writing would not save all and out crappy artwork, but it might not stop the strip from garnering a following. In the end, the art side of a comic, important as it is, seems to matter more to other artists than to the general public. The masses generally seem to care more about the writing and overall mood than any technical mastery.
smbhax.com
No! Don't post it there!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really like Jim Lee's art. >_>

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uncaringmachine wrote:
I'm going to have to say that when I first click on a webcomic, if the art is downright terrible, I won't even give it a chance. But you could have Jim Lee(I hope you know who that is) drawing a comic at his best, but if the writing is terrible, then it's just not worth it, unless you only bought the book to use his art as a reference.

That's the way I see it.And yes,I know who jim lee is. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: