TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Who is voting for comics anyway
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
takoyama

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:57 am    Post subject: Who is voting for comics anyway Reply with quote

okay so I have a web-comic that I recently made and I voted for it like the day when web-comic votes on a particular site is supposed to reset. i voted at 12 am to make sure i would be near the top of the list, the next day when i go back to the site the number one comic has about 100 to 600 votes. who is voting for these comics i know some comics have a large fan following but come on those numbers are a little hinky. it is very hard to get people to vote for your comic even if they like it so something is wrong

www.webcomicsnation.com/masterblaster/thrud
Chilari
Spambot Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe I read a statistic somewhere that 2-5% of readers would spend money on a webcomic's merchandise or a print copy, etc. Voting requires no money and much less effort, so it's conceivable that 10% or more of readers would vote, though admittedly this figure is plucked right out of the ether. If the comic creator makes a blog post that appears right under the comic, on update day, asking readers to vote and providing a link, then it's understandable that so many people might vote on the first day after the site is reset. The creator only needs some 6000 readers to get those 600 votes; and if they don't frequently ask for votes, they might get an even higher percentage. 6000 readers is a solid following, but not above what you might expect - some comics have 25,000 regular readers and I'd not be surprised if big comics like xkcd and Penny Arcade had even more.

So much as it is frustrating to not have as many readers as other comics, that's probably all it is; I doubt anything is really wrong or dodgy.
4LS

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few hours can be quite a long time, if it's an update day. A lot of readers can visit the site in a very short time, if it's a popular comic - and remember, it was only 12am where you were. On the other side of the world, it's lunchtime (which is when I read most of my comics).

Also, if it's the sort of voting site where you can give a vote incentive - extra content, art, whatever - then I think you could get a large proportion of that readership to vote.

Dutch
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two or three voting buttons on School Spirit, but I rarely even use them myself. I don't actually chase the votes, but maybe that's because after seven years I've grown a little jaded about the system! Smile

If you have he readers, it works for you, if you don't, you probably won't have a high percentage of active readers to vote.

I can't argue with readers who don't vote though. I rarely vote for others either, but at the same time, I don't vote for mine! Smile
Awarded one cookie.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dutch wrote:
I have two or three voting buttons on School Spirit, but I rarely even use them myself. I don't actually chase the votes, but maybe that's because after seven years I've grown a little jaded about the system! Smile

If you have he readers, it works for you, if you don't, you probably won't have a high percentage of active readers to vote.

I can't argue with readers who don't vote though. I rarely vote for others either, but at the same time, I don't vote for mine! Smile

Yeah, I don't plug that for myself either. Find it a little bit of a waste of time. Do those sites actually net me more readers? I'm not certain unless you're in the top couple that they would, and at that point, you probably don't care as much about picking up 1-2 readers who might happen to click on the leaderboard.

A hero and villain in love. Updates Wednesdays.
peeper_jenkins

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont vote I am listed over at inkoutbreak.com i have 12 follower. Basically means whenever i update I will have 20 viewers. I hate vote sites
Miluette

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to sign up on all the voting sites. ALL of them! For "exposure"! Because that totally works guys

It took me a ridiculously long time to realize that was a dumb idea. Definitely not worth the time, at any rate.

Signing up to a couple might be okay (if you can make a push on TWC it might actually make a difference), but yeah. Don't do what I did.

On that note, I used to vote for the handful of comics I checked religiously (especially in 2006-ish), and even a bunch of ones I checked less often (because I read so manyyyy), but with less time and in some cases less incentive, I've found myself less likely to vote. And, with the comics I still keep up with, more willing to promote in other ways (twitter eff yeah).

Voting's easy, but that still doesn't mean people will do it if it seems pointless.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miluette wrote:
I used to sign up on all the voting sites. ALL of them! For "exposure"! Because that totally works guys

It took me a ridiculously long time to realize that was a dumb idea. Definitely not worth the time, at any rate.

Eh, there's what, 10 or so active listing sites out there (being generous on active)? Signing up takes maybe five minutes or so. Do I think it was worth an hour of my time to have gotten a trickle of hits off of them in the time since I signed up?

Yes. Yes I do. It was free and I don't have to put any further effort in. Now if you don't like having to have their button on your site as part of the reciprocation, I understand that, especially when one goes AWOL (having that issue with Taversia right now). But I never understand the "this takes too much time" claim. Unless you're going crazy with the incentives and such, in which case yes, that's probably not going to see a whole lot of return. Unless they're X rated.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I said "not worth the time," not "takes too much."

When I say "not worth the time," I mean "If I had had any life at all I probably wouldn't have even have looked into it."

Some of the sites I signed up on gave my sites not even a single hit in years of listing. Not worth it to me, even for the tenuous mental assurance I had that it did some good for me.

For me personally, 5 minutes doing 1 minute gesture sketches would have been more valuable than investing 5 minutes in small listing websites that have never had any notable activity, lol.

(Most of the webcomic-related websites I've ever looked into or invested time into have gone down sooner or later, many before doing any lasting good, so this makes me slightly firm in what I look for now, as well. Now I wholly believe any good webcomic can make it without extraneous listings, so I say cut the fat!)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:46 am    Post subject: vote for support Reply with quote

when i happen upon a comic that i think is really good i want to give it a vote so others may see it too. i always wanted to create like a mutual admiration society. like a group that would vote for each others webcomic.
ewomack
Grand prize winner!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any system that has voting involved opens itself up to rigging... anyone with a bajillion friends can get hoards of people to vote for their thing whatever it is. On forums and social sites I've been asked to e-vote for everything from a kid's school project to contests with monetary rewards. The person that can most successfully garner such support will win most voting contests. Not to say that all voting ends up that way, but this is the risk of using numbers to gauge "popularity" by voting.
CMorgan
^_^

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I regularly vote for the comics I read, but only if they remind me to do so in their update post, and only if they mention an incentive. I see it as a way I can support the people I like without paying them money =(

I have also found several new web comics on those voting lists so i imagine there can be some exposure, but maybe only for the popular people.
Lance Icarus

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:27 am    Post subject: Who READS voting sites? Reply with quote

I have some voting buttons on my webcomic, but they're basically useless. I personally have never found a new comic through voting lists and I don't know anyone who has. Really anything I get from those pages anyway is usually a bounce.

Honestly, who here in this thread ever found a new comic and became a fan of it through a webcomic voting site?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Who READS voting sites? Reply with quote

Lance Icarus wrote:
I have some voting buttons on my webcomic, but they're basically useless. I personally have never found a new comic through voting lists and I don't know anyone who has. Really anything I get from those pages anyway is usually a bounce.

Honestly, who here in this thread ever found a new comic and became a fan of it through a webcomic voting site?
\
I might be in the odd minority on this but if I'm bored and in the mood for an archive dive I'll check out some of the voting sites to see if any of the banners tickle my fancy. I don't do it often and I usually don't leave the first page of the rankings sites but I have found a handful of comics that way.
wendyw
The Bomb-diggity

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Who READS voting sites? Reply with quote

Lance Icarus wrote:

*raises hand*

Blog
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: