TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bleeding Edges
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> The "Check out my comic" forum!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DNovaSRevoltion

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:20 pm    Post subject: Bleeding Edges Reply with quote

Well, this is sort of an introduction of sorts... I'm David A. Nova, co-creator of Bleeding Edges! I'm a bit new to the web comics community, but I'm no stranger to art or writing, or web communities at large... I've just been waiting for the right moment to come out and shake hands...

It's a bit early in our history to be asking for people to subscribe, you can't tell much from four pages of updates. But, none the less, I'm proud of my work on the first chapter of Bleeding Edges.

Though, I know it's just the tip of the ice-berg... literally... it's almost embarrassing to put out these first few pages, knowing how much I've improved over the coarse of the past six months of illustrating and writing. But, everyone has to start somewhere.

So. Here we are. Sequential Revolution, a web comics group, starting with our creator owned IP, Bleeding Edges. We hope you enjoy it as much as we enjoyed putting it together for you.

Here's a quick animated GIF I whipped up as a sort of preview into what the first arc will be about. Vague, I know. But, spoilers are bad for good storytelling!

Nice to meet you all, and I hope you had a wonderful new year!

-Nova

www.sequentialrevolution.com[/img]
DNovaSRevoltion

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DNovaSRevoltion

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have updated again, Page 6 has now released.

http://www.sequentialrevolution.com/comic/bleeding-edges-chapter-1-page-6/

Click the URL above to see Page 6, or hit the URL below to read from the beginning (story won't make any sense if you haven't read the first 5 pages):

http://www.sequentialrevolution.com

I'll be posting some character designs and concept drawings, as well as some breakdowns on my process in producing a page in Bleeding Edges soon. So stay tuned for that too!
DNovaSRevoltion

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't bumped this topic in a while, but we're up to Page 10! Come check it out, leave us a comment or two, and maybe while you're reading toss us a subscribe! Wink

-Nova

http://www.sequentialrevolution.com/comic/bleeding-edges-chapter-1-page-10-3/
MindChimera

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, looks like I missed this thread at some point.

My first thought is your comic's image files are ENORMOUS. I can see you're linking to the file itself to let people view the full dimensions of the pages, but what you're really doing here is putting a HUGE load on the user's bandwith with every page. I'm on a desktop with a decent cable connection and the last page took me around ten seconds to finish loading. You're killing your mobile audience completely.

If you want people to be able to view a larger version, I really suggest that you upload multiple copies of the same page on your site. Get the exact width your comic is displayed at from your CSS (you're somewhere around 1000), and save one version that's exactly that width. Save another that's the "full size." Then I'd also recommend making a thumbnail to link to the full size instead of using it and shrinking it through code, or shrink the layout-sized one instead.

Moving on: since you only have a few pages, I recommend adding a synopsis of Bleeding Edges to your About page. Just give potential readers a vague idea of what your comic's about at least.

Your artwork looks very Akira Toriyama inspired. You definitely have your action scenes down.

Is the guy on page 9 one of the two that was just in the fight scene (like a flashback or something)? Or is this a new character? I'm not sure why you started with these two if you were going to jump to another character so soon, I haven't had enough time to figure out if I even like the first two guys. We see very sparse personality from them, then they're gone. I get that you're action-centered, but there's no story at all for me to cling to yet.

Your toning is a bit awkward. You completely tone Gyest's skin, then clothes are left almost completely bare. If you're going to tone for depressions as you are with his face, you should be more consistent and do this with clothes.

Unless you are trying to make him look metallic? In which case, I think page 10 is really a better look. Either way, Tobias really needs toning, because the background completely overpowers him. Either lighten up the background or tone your light colors.

Where do the pants come from on page 10? It looks like he's finished molding myself by the first panel there, but then pants just appear.

More website stuff:
I see you're using the "Characters" feature of ComicPress, but you've stuck a bunch of tags in there instead of just your characters names. I'd suggest cleaning that up and only including the characters on the current page, because you already have a tags section and the Characters section might actually be useful for your human readers.

Your background scrolls, which means your users will get to the edge of the image and it'll repeat. This doesn't look very good. Go to your CSS and add fixed to your blue sky background image.

I'd suggest cleaning up your left sidebar and adding a traditional Archive page, with a link at the top.

That's it for me. Sorry if I'm being a bit brash or not making sense, I'm not feeling well and can't be bothered to proof what I'm typing. But you're off to a strong start and I wish you luck.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, thanks for the detailed critique! Very much appreciated.

I'll try to be as concise with my reply as possible... when I first started illustrating this comic, I wanted to use tones for the black and white version because they were just easier to work with... at first.

I also had to re-do some pages close to launch, because they were originally inked in Photoshop, Gyest had a completely different tone. These pages will be, at some point when I have more time on my hands, re drawn or re-inked to more clearly reflect the quality of newer stuff.

I was really just trying to figure out how I wanted to do the first chapter... and slowly have decided to sub out the tones for ink-wash under paintings in the black and white version. This comic has taken me on an artistic journey, and I'm still not completely done finding my visual style with the book. But it'll come with time.

The stuff I'm doing for Chapter 2 doesn't utilize tones at all, again, more stuff that needs correction.

As far as the third character is concerned in Chapter 1, my Co-writer and I had a distinct plan for that. The intro that he gets is very brief, and rest assured, you get back to Tobias and Gyest quite quickly. It all flows much better when it's read back to back like it's meant to, at least I feel it does.

Website issues, however, are not easily corrected at the moment, due to how much time I don't have on my hands right now. I'd like to fix some of these issues this weekend, though, but that depends on a few factors.

All in all, it's a work in progress, and it'll get where it needs to in due time. I'm glad you read it, and think we're off to a great start!

-Nova

P.S. It's funny you mention Akira Toriyama, because he's one of my all time favorite artists across the global comics industry. I've studied his work inside and out, and try very hard to recreate the intense feeling of force and action that he seems to be able to create with his layouts.
MindChimera

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can completely relate to not knowing how you want to do things. My own comic is a lot of first-attempts for me so some of it doesn't come out looking that great. So good luck in finding something that works for you.

And yeah, you aren't very far along, so I know I'm making a jump by commenting on your pacing. From the outside, I have no idea how you're planning to go along.

DNovaSRevoltion wrote:
P.S. It's funny you mention Akira Toriyama, because he's one of my all time favorite artists across the global comics industry. I've studied his work inside and out, and try very hard to recreate the intense feeling of force and action that he seems to be able to create with his layouts.

I'm a bit of a die-hard DBZ fan, so I noticed it right away. Wink Though I admit I followed the anime and not the manga.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here, I even wrote a d20 RPG based on the Dragon Ball series. Heh. You should definitely check out the manga, it's worth re-experiencing the series just for his art in all its stages. He doesn't get enough credit for his panel work, I feel.

I think around the 50 or 60 page mark, I'll have set b&w vs color work method and aesthetic that'll work for the tone of the series as we've written it so far (we're 10 chapters into the writing process)... but, as with all things, art styles will change with time and practice, as you've no doubt experienced.

That's one of the disadvantages of not releasing the entire chapter up front, unfortunately... the release schedule is grueling for the reader until there's a huge archive. Hopefully, when we're more established, we can do something about that.
DNovaSRevoltion

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.sequentialrevolution.com/comic/bleeding-edges-chapter-1-page-11/

We've got Page 11 up, and, yes, before you're disappointed by this week's release, it is a splash page. And the first time I really started messing with ink-washes in Manga Studio.

I am currently looking into the file-size issue that we're having with some of the newer pages, but, it may take some time to address.[/url]
Rubbergardener

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think i've seen this comic featured somewhere, but not really sure where.

your art is really good at expressing action and drama, good job. i also really like the bad guy armor types design. i am only able to read the first few pages right now, but i'll definitely check back again later to catch up.
MindChimera

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DNovaSRevoltion wrote:
I am currently looking into the file-size issue that we're having with some of the newer pages, but, it may take some time to address.[/url]

This is really a simple image edit. Or just changing your export settings.

If you're using Manga Studio, then you can specify what size you want when you export. You should also be able to find the dimensions your site is displaying your comic at in your WordPress' settings somewhere. Then you can resave it in a program like Photoshop or GIMP to compress the image (I can't speak for Manga Studio 5, but 4 (which is what I use) does not compress images).

Since you're using WordPress, there's also this: http://wordpress.org/plugins/resize-image-after-upload/ I personally don't like waiting until after uploading to resize something because then you have big files sitting around on your hard drive, but I have friends who use this and think it's wonderful.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
i think i've seen this comic featured somewhere, but not really sure where.

your art is really good at expressing action and drama, good job. i also really like the bad guy armor types design. i am only able to read the first few pages right now, but i'll definitely check back again later to catch up.

Thanks, really appreciate that! I hope you dig the rest as much as the first few!

As for this comic being featured somewhere else, I'd certainly hope not... unless it's on our Facebook or something, or one of the other web comic lists. It'd be a major problem if someone took our pages and hosted them on a different site without asking us...

Quote:
This is really a simple image edit. Or just changing your export settings.

If you're using Manga Studio, then you can specify what size you want when you export. You should also be able to find the dimensions your site is displaying your comic at in your WordPress' settings somewhere. Then you can resave it in a program like Photoshop or GIMP to compress the image (I can't speak for Manga Studio 5, but 4 (which is what I use) does not compress images).

Since you're using WordPress, there's also this: http://wordpress.org/plugins/resize-image-after-upload/ I personally don't like waiting until after uploading to resize something because then you have big files sitting around on your hard drive, but I have friends who use this and think it's wonderful.

That's true, though, I was referring to the time I actually have to devote to doing that specific task. May be able to get to it tomorrow, or another day... and I want to hit the right balance so it remains at a decent resolution and doesn't kill the image quality. My co-writer/co-creator will also want to have his say, etc, etc, etc. Smile

Manga Studio also seems to have an issue in the initial Manga Studio EX 5 files that makes them really massive for some reason. I'm not certain if this is transferred unnecessarily over to an exported image file, though, again, haven't had any time to look into this just yet.

EDIT

-.- Never mind, I just checked the file sizes in my web-release folder and discovered that Pages 11 and 12 had not been re-sized from their original 600 DPI versions... that's why they took forever to load. Sorry about that. Now I feel stupid. Heh.
DNovaSRevoltion

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DNovaSRevoltion

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DNovaSRevoltion

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.sequentialrevolution.com/comic/bleeding-edges-chapter-1-page-14/

Page 14 is up! Chapter 1 is almost half way published. What are your thoughts so far?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> The "Check out my comic" forum! All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: