TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Scot Adams is at it again -_-
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wrathborne

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:42 pm    Post subject: Scot Adams is at it again -_- Reply with quote

This guy is definitely becoming a waste of space. I really don't know whats wrong with his brain at this point.

http://www.comicsalliance.com/2011/06/16/dilbert-scott-adams-on-rape/
4LS

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know what? I'm good, thanks. It's Friday night, I've had a couple of drinks and I'm reasonably happy ... I'm just going to pretend I never saw this link.

smbhax.com
No! Don't post it there!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The funny thing about all this is that he thinks it's a good way to get attention--any publicity is good publicity, and all that.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

smbhax.com wrote:
The funny thing about all this is that he thinks it's a good way to get attention--any publicity is good publicity, and all that.

Kind of, but it could be considered very unwise given a growing percentage of the US white collar workforce is female. Really I think Scott is just struggling to find relevance in today's world and scrambling for attention because he's too cheap to pay for a therapist.
smbhax.com
No! Don't post it there!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will be interesting to see what if his syndicate does anything about it if he starts getting really ridiculous--I mean, if he keeps it up, and people start writing into their newspapers telling them they should drop his comic.
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waste of space and a waste of a thread, I'd say, just looking at the link title.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh wow, please read the actual blog instead of the select excerpt:

http://dilbert.com/blog/entry/pegs_and_holes/has

To quote one reader:

Quote:
I don't know if this point has already been made. If not, I claim the prize for decoding Scott's message!

Over the last few months, he has posted a number of blogs describing how easily witch-hunts and smear campaigns take place over the internet through mis-quoting and quoting out of context. This is merely the latest of his experiments, which quite clearly prove his hypothesis as correct.

I wouldn't say the people posting counter-blogs are necessarily stupid, despite the quality of their posts; merely that they find the temptation of a fix of self-righteous indignation too much to resist.

To quote Adams himself:

Quote:
The way society is organized at the moment, we have no choice but to blame men for bad behavior. If we allowed men to act like unrestrained horny animals, all hell would break loose. All Iím saying is that society has evolved to keep males in a state of continuous unfulfilled urges, more commonly known as unhappiness. No one planned it that way. Things just drifted in that direction.
Tskingdom

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, we have a blogger who's known of comments like "Rapist's penis is a Sword of Justice" so Adams still sounds like a flower-hatted suffragette... Swordsman doesn't do comics though. That might be ugly.
Traegorn

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that a Hanzo the Razor reference?
Tskingdom

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess would be the said line (and handful of similar ones) is just a product of a very own skull-demon(s) by he-whose-name-is-better-to-left-unmentioned.*

*One of those individuals. Everyone know some.
Traegorn

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just thought about it because the first Hanzo the Razor film is called Sword of Justice... And the protagonist Itami Hanzo is, well... a rapist.
wendyw
The Bomb-diggity

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wild Horse wrote:
Oh wow, please read the actual blog instead of the select excerpt:

http://dilbert.com/blog/entry/pegs_and_holes/has

To quote one reader:

Quote:
I don't know if this point has already been made. If not, I claim the prize for decoding Scott's message!

Over the last few months, he has posted a number of blogs describing how easily witch-hunts and smear campaigns take place over the internet through mis-quoting and quoting out of context. This is merely the latest of his experiments, which quite clearly prove his hypothesis as correct.

I wouldn't say the people posting counter-blogs are necessarily stupid, despite the quality of their posts; merely that they find the temptation of a fix of self-righteous indignation too much to resist.

I've read every one of his posts that I've seen people complain about and I've made a point of reading his post first before reading any in depth rebuttles or retaliations to them and you really don't need to misquote or quote out of context for him to come across as a bit of an arse, or more than a bit of one in some cases.

If this really is some kind of experiment (which I honestly don't think it is) that would mean he is being the very definition of a troll, deliberately annoying, upsetting and angering people simply for that reason, which I think would make him more of an arse.

That said, I don't think that's what he is doing. I think the experiment explanation is really nothing more than an attempt to excuse what he's written. What I think is actually the case, and this is entirely my opinion of course, is that he's become a person that who is listened to as most celebrities that bother to talk to their fans do.

In some cases this leads to the celebrity actually starting to believe there's a reason their listened to other than the thing that made them famous, which in turn makes them more bold with their statements, because they start to believe their opinions are worth more. They get an over-inflated opinion of their knowledge in their chosen area of discussion and become arrogant.

This can happen with all kinds of subjects. In Scott's case it's the human condition, psychology, social behaviour and what makes people tick. Unfortunately his opinions on those subjects are a little unpalatable to most people.

Like I said though, that's just my opinion. I could be completely wrong and I'm not famous enough to assume I'm right. Rolling Eyes

Blog
Tskingdom

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I just thought about it because the first Hanzo the Razor film is called Sword of Justice... And the protagonist Itami Hanzo is, well... a rapist.

Yep. I looked up the character, one learns something new every day. Hanzo the Razor...as well as meaning of "on the lamb" (explained on Check out my comic section by dpat57) Smile
smbhax.com
No! Don't post it there!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What wendyw said. There's no excuse for just making an ass of yourself repeatedly. He seems to think it's all fun and games (and maybe good business?), but if he keeps it up he's going to find that people who care about how they are perceived by society at large aren't going to want to associate with him any more.
Spambot Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I'm conducting an experiment" seems like Adams's version of the old douchebag excuse for being a dick ("Dude, I was just joking...get a sense of humor!")
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: