TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Should i go on with this comic idea?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> The "Check out my comic" forum!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leafgreencrusades

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:07 am    Post subject: Should i go on with this comic idea? Reply with quote

I have a comic idea but i am not sure if i should make it or not, i am afraid if i make it, it would either be an epic failure or considered ''the worlds worst comic''
what do you think of my plot? I would like to know these things before i make the comic " is it good,interesting,original?" if it is bad please tell me how, because i would like to know if i should go on with this idea.

Plot:It takes place in the 1980's in the state of Florida, it is about a 17-18 year old boy named Alex who is a shut in taking care of his depressed mother who couldn't get over the fact that Alex's father abandoned them to focus on his drug cartel in Miami.One day Alex is on his Nintendo entertainment system until he suddenly gets a phone call from his father, Alex's father was calling to say goodbye to Alex because there was a rival drug cartel called '' The Razors'' that are trying to take over his drug cartel and there is a drug war going on that he might die in.Alex tells his father that he would run away from home to Miami with his 3 friends and try to help him escape the war and bring him back home. But Alex's father doesn't believe him, he ask's Alex questions about running away from home for example '' where will you eat,sleep,etc. What are your friends reasons for coming with you?'' Alex answers the questions but is not sure about them. But Alex vows to save his father on his journey and will keep his friends alive, so Alex and his friends goes on their journey from Tallahassee to Miami to save Alex's father.However, with the razors being all around the state of Florida this trip may cost Alex and his friends their lives.
(NOTE: some of might think why Alex's friends are going with him, the answer is that Alex's friends try to talk him out of the journey, but get intrigued to go with him. Also in near the end, Alex gets revenge on his dad by turning him into the police(his father betrays him at the end)
Ronin Glen

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with a question like this is that "good, interesting, original" is largely going to depend on how well you execute the idea. I can't think of any comics that follow the same idea but it won't matter if you can't write well enough to pull it off. Only you can decide if you are want to tell this story badly enough to risk being a "failure". Honestly, what would you consider a success? There are at least 30k online comics floating around and most have very tiny readerships so if you don't want this, really want it, you are probably better off skipping the headache and not dumping material on the net that you'll just abandon halfway in frustration.

Couple minor notes on the plot you posted:
1. This will depend on how you set it up but you seem to be using the word "cartel" interchangeably with "gang". A cartel is a large and interconnected group not a local crime outfit.
2. I doubt the head of a major criminal organization would need 4 inexperienced boys to help him flee or that moving partway across the state would be sufficient to save him from cartel violence.

Best wishes whatever you decide.
f2x

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Should i go on with this comic idea? Reply with quote

leafgreencrusades wrote:
I have a comic idea but i am not sure if i should make it or not, i am afraid if i make it, it would either be an epic failure or considered ''the worlds worst comic''

I've noticed that in the past ten years, so many bad comics have been produced that it is impossible to create the worlds worst comic... Unless you're me. Embarassed

Epic failure or not, you've got a pretty creative mind to have come up with such a detailed plot. Now it can either just sit here as a couple of short paragraphs, or you can develop it into something more.

Keep in mind, you don't have to make it into a comic. Sometimes it's just not practical to illustrate a tale, and there's nothing wrong with writing a novella once in a while. Wink
leafgreencrusades

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ronin Glen, thanks for your critique, i also have the answers for your questions:

They are not all boys, 2 of them are girls and 2 of them are boys(1 is a tomboy)

The father/the head of a major criminal organization wasn't expecting his son to help him, he was going to take what he gets(being held hostage and being tortured) and Alex's was trained by his dad on how to fight, the other 2 friends took martial arts classes when they were younger.So they will be able to fight.Also f2x sorta makes a good point.
NiK!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Should i go on with this comic idea? Reply with quote

leafgreencrusades wrote:
what do you think of my plot? I would like to know these things before i make the comic " is it good,interesting,original?" if it is bad please tell me how, because i would like to know if i should go on with this idea.

The fact that you are even asking about whether or not to go forth with this artistic endeavor probably means that you should go forward with it. If it goes nowhere, at least you got this story out of your system and hopefully learned some good stuff from the experience that will help you out with your next creative endeavor. If it goes somewhere, well then the sky's the limit.

TL;DR: Just do it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> The "Check out my comic" forum! All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: