TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Her Majesty, No More.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> The "Check out my comic" forum!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eve Z.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comic has been updated.

Page 19 is now up!

PWN'd.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Page 20 is now up. Smile
Ich bin ein webcomicker

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, your pages are at the very limit of readability. In fact I can't read the text when you make it even smaller to fit the balloons (as in the 4th frame on the previous page). I've been using Ctrl-+ to zoom in, but when I go above 3 zoom-in steps the frame goes left outside the actual window, and there's no horizontal scrollbar to allow me to move left.

...Aha! Workaround! Right-click and Open Frame in new Tab gives me a window I can zoom in on further. 5 Ctrl-+ zoom-in steps gives me an ideal reading size on my laptop screen.

All of which makes me wonder if you should be making your pages a bigger size. Anyone else mentioned this, or is it just me?

Last edited by dpat57 on Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
citronrobotlord

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that I'm on a larger comp I thought I'd note that everything is stuck to the left side. It's not an issue or anything but if your intent was to have a centred set up you might want to know that.

Still enjoying the read, lots of characters to introduce. Smile

on the subject dpat57 brought up.... I don't know about readability, I haven't had a problem. But if larger images help others I wouldn't be peeved or anything.
Eve Z.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll just make sure to draw bigger speech bubbles from now on when there's a lot of text involved. Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Page 21 is now up. Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um, yeah. Just so you know, those of us with high ppi monitors can't read your comic at all. Like, nothing. I have a 15" Macbook Pro with the high res 1680 screen and the text is completely unreadable. It's tough to read on a normal 20" 1980 resolution monitor but on that laptop, it's completely illegible.

Right now it's not a huge issue because it only applies to new top-end monitors but in the coming years, monitor ppi is going to start jumping A LOT. Down the road, it's going to be an issue.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm, I tried zooming the page out 3x and I can still read it with no problems. I'm not sure what kind of monitors there would be, but they must be really blurry if you can't see the text.

I am using 1280 x 1024 resolution and I can see everything fine as it should be. :/

EDIT for fixing the site. I hope it's better now.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eve Z. wrote:
hmm, I tried zooming the page out 3x and I can still read it with no problems. I'm not sure what kind of monitors there would be, but they must be really blurry if you can't see the text.

I am using 1280 x 1024 resolution and I can see everything fine as it should be. :/

EDIT for fixing the site. I hope it's better now.

What I'm talking about is pixel density. For example, your 1280x1024 monitor is probably a 17" or 19" monitor. At 17", it has a pixel density (Pixels Per Inch, PPI), of around 85-90 PPI. When it comes to computing, a good way to spot trends is to look at is Apple. What they're schilling is often what you'll see in cheaper, more mainstream computers in 12-24 months. Apple has been slowly creeping up with their pixel density and I don't think they've really even started addressing it yet. My 15.4" screen is at 130 PPI. Their Macbook Air screens are around 120-135 PPI. Apple has come out and said that they recently dropped something like $2 billion in advance monitor orders and rumor has it, the iPad is the next to jump to the "Retina Display" of 300 PPI (the iPhone currently sits at something like 330 PPI). Sooner or later, this density will move to the Mac line and then the rest of computers. It's already started with the bump of many Mac monitors to the 130 PPI range and I think that's just the beginning. Monitor resolutions are going to continue to climb in PPI.

What does it mean for designers? Well, it means that the typical 960 pixel website width will be read on smaller and smaller screens. The text that was once fine on a 14" monitor with 1280 resolution will no longer be readable on a 11" monitor with a higher 1440 resolution. In most cases of web design, it's not really an issue. Go into the CSS, change a font size, and you're done. But with webcomics, text is in the image. That means the text is stuck at one resolution and changing it is a very labor-intensive job.

Like I said, it's not really a problem right now. But if you plan to draw this comic for 3, 4, 5 years, it will become more of a problem every day. It's better to nip it in the bud now instead of realizing that 10% of your readerbase can't read two years of your archive and you have to go back and change 200 pages of comics. In many cases I'd say leave it but your comic is already on the edge with current monitor technology. If I'm having problems reading it, I know it will be a real issue for other people even if monitor PPI doesn't continue to increase.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm planning on running this comic for quite a while. Until the story eventually... ends? Very Happy

Anyways, I need feedback on this: re-sized the images to 700x700px and removed the white border. Now I think the text size in acceptable. Can you check the site now and see if it's a better result?
I'd like to know, especially since it appears that my comic pages right now are over-sized to say so.

Leave a message in my shoutbox if you can and say yay/nay.
I believe you haven't checked it since my last post here?

---------------------

Hiatus for 2 weeks. I'll be away on vacation. v.v

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not working on my laptop right now but when I get back to it, I'll be sure to pull up your site and take a look.
Ich bin ein webcomicker

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bigger pages look pretty good to me, I can read 'em as is, default size, perfectly clear... even panel 4 on page 19. Smile

I feel like a scurvy peasant, using a 1280 x 800 TFT display made in 2007.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm back with an update after 2 weeks of hiatus as I promised. Very Happy

Page 22 is now up.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comic has been updated!

page 23 is up! Very Happy

Last edited by Eve Z. on Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Eve Z.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comic has been updated!

page 24 is now up.

Sorry for being slow today.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> The "Check out my comic" forum! All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 2 of 14

Jump to: