TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone here know anything about ComicPress?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RustMonster

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:29 pm    Post subject: Anyone here know anything about ComicPress? Reply with quote

I'm using Wordpress 3.1 and Comicpress 2.9. This problem just showed up last night. Whenever I select "Add New" and get to the "Add New Post" page, there's already a comic uploaded under the "Comic for this Post" section at the bottom.

The comic is the one I've uploaded for today, and it's already published. When I replace it to try to make a new post, the file I upload replaces today's already published comic and the new post says "No comic files found!" It's completely killed my ability to upload new content.

When I updated Comicpress, it was on a PC. This problem is occurring on two different PCs, even after rebooting. Any ideas on how to fix this?

(I've already posted on the ComicPress forums too, but I don't think they'll be able to help in time.)
Traegorn

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had this happen too. This is the easy solution I've found:

Create a scheduled post without adding the comic.

Schedule it.

Reopen the post, it should have the comic section blank.

From here you can add the image.
RustMonster

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a really good workaround, thanks. It doesn't fix the problem, though.
Traegorn

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It happens because of the way ComicPress and Wordpress interact.

ComicPress assumes you want to do one comic per day, and when you create a new post it is preset to publish immediately... so if there's a comic published that day, it's been preloaded to be associated with the post. When you swap the image out, even though you've changed the date on the schedule, the comicpress portion is still associated with the current date - so it replaces today's comic instead of associating it with the date of the scheduled post.

Dumb? Yes.

Lord knows if ComicPress will ever correct this bug.
RustMonster

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha. Yes, that's pretty dumb, but nothing about ComicPress has struck me as being particularly clever. I'd switch if it didn't mean losing almost a thousand comments and a few hours of uploading strips.

Thanks for the clarification. I'm glad it's a known issue and not some random site-killing bug. I'll just wait until a non-update day to do the rest of my uploading. Thanks again.
Max Vaehling

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have the plugin Comicpress Manager installed? It contains an upload form for both single and bulk uploads. (Under ComicPress -> Upload). You can upload images, and it creates posts based on the dates in the image titles. You can then go on to edit the posts without any hassle.

Webcomics - Blog - Twitter
LukeSurl
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the Comicpress Manager plugin IS the user interface for comicpress. From what I can tell it sounds like you're not using it. I think the latest version can handle multiple comic posts on the same day (though this isn't something I've personally tried).

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure this is one of the things that Frumph is working on fixing for the next version... but he's been awfully sick for a while, so I wouldn't hold my breath on it being implemented any time soon.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "Managing Comic" interface was always really buggy for me, and I always had to fix whatever post I made after I made it. If not delete it completely and start over from scratch.

I usually use the WordPress "Add New" option, which, before this problem, was working fine. Traegorn outlined the problem exactly, and all I needed to do was A) make the blank post then fix it or B) just wait for a day where there wasn't a comic scheduled and it worked just fine.
Montanto

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just ignore it, it always has the strip of the day at the bottom of post page. Adding the post won't hurt the strip, It's separate from the Blog. For putting in the newest strips you want Upload (right under Comicpress on the right side bar.)

For any future questions you can go here:
http://comicpress.org/forum/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> Webcomic Gubbins All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: