TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dealing with frustration
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
smbhax.com
No! Don't post it there!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I get frustrated, I usually buy more advertising on Project Wonderful. :/

My stuff usually got downvoted on Reddit too, so I stopped posting it there. Readers seem to post it there from time to time, which is nice.
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a bad idea to shit where you eat... but on the plus side, even bad publicity is publicity! Not too terribly kind of them, at any rate, and not a great idea to be dissing the people buying their adspace. I know if I was a potential advertiser and saw that, I'd be put off from buying space...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

=I'm tempering expectations on my book. If I average 100 visitors a day after four months, I'll be quite pleased. My comic faces an uphill battle, though... it's kinda superhero based (but not really), especially in the early going of the story. On top of that, the "big mystery" doesn't really get rolling until I'm over 80 pages into the entire story (or over a year and a half of drawing).

I'm mainly doing this because I love comic books and spent a decade drawing them and creating worlds as a kid. It's in my blood. If nobody reads it, their loss (heh). The only thing I regret is stalling out production so many times in the past and only dedicating myself to the book over three years after this iteration of the comic first sprung into my head. I should have done this ten years ago but on the upside, I know that the book is better now because I'm more mature and my approach to storytelling has improved tenfold.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, I'd definitely be doing this even without any readers, and I know to keep my expectations (very, very) low, but I understand getting those bouts of frustration anyway.

Somehow, I can't help occasional, ridiculous feelings of "my comic is wonderful, why doesn't everyone love it?" warring with "my comic is pathetic, no wonder I don't have more readers." There are so many comics out there that you're bound to see tons of lousy comics and amazing ones; ones that get billions of readers and ones that get none; ones that don't seem like they deserve their billions readers, ones that don't get the billions of readers they do deserve, and ones that deserve every one of their kajillion readers. It's hard not to get sucked into comparing yourself to all of them from time to time.

Really, I think the best thing is not to spend too much time thinking about your numbers - don't check your stats obsessively.

I'm still pretty new to this, but other things that I'd imagine helpful would be:

-trying to connect more solidly with a few readers - numbers will always feel a little unsatisfying, but getting to know individual people who like what you're doing can be encouraging.
-if you have to compare yourself to others, try to make it constructive: notice a specific they're doing better than you in terms of writing, drawing or marketing and work on improving at that thing.
-take a break every so often to create something that no one's going to see. It's easy to get burned out even doing something you love if you get too focused on the readership, so doodling or writing something purely for fun can help you remember why you're doing it in the first place.
lianne

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, creative angst. So pointless, and yet so hard to escape.

Strangely, I find that the harder I work and the more I improve, the less I experience it.

Maybe it's because when I'm working hard, I'm only paying attention to my own work and not comparing it? Maybe it's because what I actually CAN do is getting closer to my idea of what I should be able to do? Maybe it's because I spend more time seeing what I CAN do, so my perception of my skills is more realistic?

Or maybe it's just something that you can grow out of eventually. I hope so!
Clint Wolf

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the subject of being obsessive about stats... yes, it can unnecessarily distract you from just getting the comic done, particularly if you notice some mysterious drop off from what you've come to think of as your "standard" numbers.

On the other hand, I just figured out a recent drop-off was due to something weird having happened to our comic's settings on TWC, and if I hadn't been being somewhat obsessive I might never have caught it. We usually get at least a handful of referrals from TWC every day, and I suddenly noticed that we hadn't been getting *any* for almost a week. I knew TWC had been having some uptime problems, but not enough to be that bad...

Turns out our URL entry had somehow just become the word "True" rather than an actual URL, meaning anyone clicking on our TWC entry to check out Zombie Ranch just got a 404 error. So I fixed it as of last night and now we're getting the traffic again.

So on occasion, keeping an eye on the numbers is a good thing.
No! Don't post it there!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

darrylayo wrote:
Then I accidentally killed my website.

:o What happened?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so here's your first mistake... reddit is just a breeding ground for trolls. It's like, the epitome of group think idiocy through anonymity. stumbleupon too. sorry if I sound crass about it, but I've not had a lot of luck getting any kind of positive constructive feedback from there... it's mostly just downvotes or "u sux" comments on anything not boob related. so... yeah... don't use it or use it knowing you'll mostly get downvoted.

that said... 200-3k uniques is quite a good place. I started What's Shakin' about 6 months or so ago and was struggling to get readers, now it's doing pretty ok. but it also involved a good deal of ad money too. (heh, didn't realize how much I actually spent till I did my taxes, yikes!)

and I do get frustrated too. sometimes the visits plummet to epic proportions. does it bother me? well... yeah, it's hard to not take it personally. but as an artist, we kind of have to have a bit of a tough skin and chalk it up to just a bad day at work, but tomorrow is another day!

oh, and I really like the idea of drawing something else! I get into that funk sometimes too cause all I draw are comics now. It's nice to do some photography or painting (ya know, the things I did forever before comics) every once in a while. >)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> Webcomic Gubbins All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: