TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Asking readers not to block your ads
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rocketpig

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bustertheclown wrote:
Real businesses don't run on freebies, hopes, dreams, and Google AdSense.

I'm friends with a guy who makes over $150,000 a year just from his site advertising and after five years, is only now launching a paid service for a specialized niche of his site. Is his business not "real"? If it's not, that means the Aston Martin he just bought is imaginary so I can starting making fun of him for it.

Last edited by rocketpig on Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:00 pm; edited 2 times in total
rocketpig

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

munkymu wrote:
rocketpig wrote:

True, maybe "very little" is understating it a bit. What I'm really driving at is SuitCase's point that the readers are somehow blessing us with their presence.

Technically they are. Without readers you're just some guy slaving away to no purpose. If you wanted that you could chuck your comic pages in the closet as you finished them, spend nothing and get nothing in return.

Not that there's any reason to deify them or bend over backwards to satisfy their every request, but you need them more than they need you and in larger numbers.

That's why I said I appreciate them stopping by but I'm not going to worship them. If they don't care enough to give me anything in return for my work, I'm not going to jump through hoops to make them happy.

It's not disdain, it's apathy. I'll spend my efforts on a real fanbase that interacts with me and cares about my site and comic, not pleasing a hypothetical user that may or may not get upset because I ask them to stop blocking adverts.
No! Don't post it there!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised this is even an argument. There's this, for instance: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_self-sufficient_webcomics
No! Don't post it there!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is if a PW bidder is running a campaign that has a min page view number as its criteria for bid placement. ;)

Also Casual Notice: nice summary, and I like the classic touch of bitching at people (on the Internet) to quit bitching. :D
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> Webcomic Gubbins All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: