TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Domain Name Suggestions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
blackhammer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:30 pm    Post subject: Domain Name Suggestions Reply with quote

The domain name I wanted kevinj.com is taken.

So now I am looking for ideas on how to ease the pain and accept something similar.

I have e-mailed the owner but they are not interested in selling so ideas are as follows.

kevin-j.com
kevinjcomics.com
thekevinj.com.

Thoughts or ideas are quite welcome.
Harrington AW

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The kevinjcomics.com domain is best if you plan to only use it for comics. If you think you might use it for things other than comics eventually you may want to pick one of the more general ones.

-S
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Similarly, the domain name I want (betweenplaces) is taken. Pinning comics to it makes it way too long, I don't have a generic artist name to make a subdomain for... I guess .net or .ca's the way to go. Curse these domain name stealing fiends!

I'd do kevin-j, I suppose, unless you're only going to use it for comics.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't give a lot of background info as to why it has to be kevinj.com or something similar, so I'm not sure if this advice is gonna be helpful at all.

What I wanted to say is that it might be worth looking into taking a completely different domain name that is at least catchy rather than some monstrosity like Kevin_J_tha_man_comics.com (ok, I exaggerate, but you get the point), because your potential new readers will not know your original plans for kevinj.com they'll be totally unbiased towards the new name and will probably remember it more easily.

Also the domain of a site doesn't have to be the same as the name of a comic in order to be popular. (eg qwantz.com for dinosaur comics and explosm.net for cyanide and happiness)
blackhammer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beyond just general comics I am the brand and would like to branch out into legit art perhaps music.

Kevin J is a persona that I would like to keep throughout the entire project thus Kevin J in some form needs to be in the domain.

I like my domains short and to the point even kevinjcomics to me is to long.

kevinj.net is open but I just prefer .com's so maybe kevin-j.com is going to be the route I go.

@ TheDru1d yeah its funny when I tell people to check out Quantz.com and see there reaction to talking dinosaurs kinda not what you would expect haha!
tweetics

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with everyone else, the kevinjcomics.com works for comics purposes. I find that if you have to spell anything out to people when telling them a URL, that they tend to shy away from checking it out. Go as simple as possible.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah simple as possible is the goal for sure.

Might do something random like robothippo or something thats just stupid and easy.

I'm still Kevin J and still the creator afterall.

I hate agonizing over retarded crap that isn't going to matter in the end haha.
TBROtomo
Awarded one cookie.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naming things is the most annoying aspect of writing. I was just having a conversation about what to name my new website with a friend and I posed him the question:

"Do you think that good titles are what separates amateurs from professionals?"

It was a silly question at the time, but I think it might have some validity. What you name your site as something that can stick in someone's head or not is really important.
blackhammer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went with poisonedpixels.com.

Once a good buffer is ready and Comic Press 3.0 is open for purchase it will launch.
RustMonster

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on your new domain. Something you might want to try, if you have a little extra cash to spare:

Register domains that are similar to yours (such as poisonpixels.com and poisonedpixel.com) and have them redirect to the main site. That way, people who imperfectly remember your address still get to your site.
blackhammer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I will get there and yeah for now I have the cash to spare.

Its funny about domain names.

I wanted to check out mindfaucet.com to see if there was anymore news on the big shakeup of the Comic Press team.

Guess what.

Domain name expired!
rakshina

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Domain Name Suggestions Reply with quote

blackhammer wrote:
The domain name I wanted kevinj.com is taken.

So now I am looking for ideas on how to ease the pain and accept something similar.

I have e-mailed the owner but they are not interested in selling so ideas are as follows.

kevin-j.com
kevinjcomics.com
thekevinj.com.

Thoughts or ideas are quite welcome.

Note :L domain name should be related with your website content . I would suggest you happycomics.com or kjcomics.com . If you want to check their availability, use 9cubehosting.com
MindChimera

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may want to check the date on the topics there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> Webcomic Gubbins All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: