TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Marbles
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> The "Check out my comic" forum!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VGML

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:04 pm    Post subject: Marbles Reply with quote

Reposting it after the database crash, because all the cool kids are doing it:

http://www.marblescomic.com

fuzzy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, brilliant!

Chipshop

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christ man! Can't you do something new?! Something original, for once in your LIFE?!

Marbles is cool like The Fonz punching Superman to death while bringing three Asian women to climax. Cool A! Cool
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that Digital Strips show a couple of months back said pretty much all there is to say... It seems kind of insensitive at times, but, all in all, it's pretty good.
GingerDead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great comic. The character rendering is original and well done. I appreciate the irony and have no trouble reading between the lines. Reading through the archives, I find the comic overall raises awareness and I applaud you guys for it. For those that miss the message, you can sometimes find it spelled out for you in Marc's commentary beneath the strip.

In addition I like the coloring and the site's design which totally compliments the artwork.

Crit: Update already, you bastards!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just did, my fair lady.

toydivision

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the best comic about children dying slow painful deaths ever!

(it really needs a tie-in with mcdonalds!...Marbles happy meals!)
Spambot Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to just walk on past, but... I just can't, I'm sorry. If you post it in this forum I consider your comic fair game. I'll try to keep it brief though and then you can get back to your fan club.

Have you met any kids from Ethiopia or Somalia? Because I have. And they are absolutely nothing at all like the dehumanized things in your comic.

You have had to defend before your use of cannibalism jokes, but I hope you have to continue defending them for as long as you persist in using them. I don't know how you came up with the idea and I won't accuse you of things that probably aren't true, but surely you must be aware of how accusations of cannibalism have been used repeatedly in history by Europeans as a means of dehumanizing Africans when in fact there is more evidence of cannibalism in Europe than there has ever been in Africa. The blatant historical evidence seems to do nothing to deter misinformed individuals the world over, from a former mayor of Toronto to personal friends of mine in Asia, from persisting in this hostile belief. A joke about cannibalistic Africans, even if not intended to be hostile must by default lie on the side of racist historical holdovers rather than on any side that claims to support the human rights of Africans.

Bottom line: I don't like this comic and I don't find it funny. Nothing personal.

S*P*Q*R
Aarin
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jdalton wrote:
Bottom line: I don't like this comic and I don't find it funny. Nothing personal.

There you go. Someone who doesn't kiss ass.

I respect JD 2x more.

My opinion? I really don't care. Marbles just isn't my thing--poor taste, even for satire.
toydivision

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jdalton wrote:

t there is more evidence of cannibalism in Europe than there has ever been in Africa.

ha ha I was looking through my drawings of a few years ago and found this!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jdalton
Spambot Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

toydivision wrote:

Ironically- Nazi cannibals? Totally funny. Smile

S*P*Q*R
toydivision

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh noes the eastern front has collapsed...and I forgot lunch!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody is obliged to like Marbles, to each his own. The last thing I want is to get into another right or wrong debate about my comic, but there are just a few things I want to make clear:

-Marbles is in no way meant to be a realistic portrayal of poor African people. All characters are excaggerated caricatures, and are not to be taken too seriously. They're not Ethiopians or Somalians, they're Marbles.

-The whole cannibalism issue is just nitpicking in my humble opinion. I know I can't prove it, and I know you won't take my word for it, but the few cannibalism jokes weren't made with any racist or elitist thought behind them. You don't even see any cannibalism anywhere, it's just hinted at, every time by the same character. What drives this guy to the thought of cannibalism in a couple of strips is the fact that he's hungry as hell, not because he's less civilized than other people. Europeans are capable of eating each other as well when they're desperate. I know cannibalism is a touchy subject in this case, but I thought people would be smart enough to realize we don't actually assume African people are cannibals.

Jdalton, I understand your views, I just don't agree with you. Nothing personal as well.

Speaking of personal, Morris, could you give up this little vendetta you have with me just because I voted no on your Transplant application? It's getting annoying.

Debt On

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VGML wrote:

Speaking of personal, Morris, could you give up this little vendetta you have with me just because I voted no on your Transplant application? It's getting annoying.

Oh, please. Plenty of people voted against me in that thread and I've got nothing against them. My opinions of Marbles are valid and based on nothing else but my reading of the comic. The fact that I think you're a dick is besides the point.

Primary Source News | Spinzone Comics Collective
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> The "Check out my comic" forum! All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: