TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TBoWL Tribute Art Book

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tbowl
Yarrrrr!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:22 am    Post subject: TBoWL Tribute Art Book Reply with quote

Hello All,

I'm putting together a TBoWL Tribute Art Book for merch-purposes.

Please PM me or email (tbowl *at* comcast *dot* net) if interested.

By "work" I mean a finished product that is print quality.

Warning up front that I'll want full rights to the completed work that you do whether I use the work or not, as it could get added to a future volume if this activity turns out okay. Also upon work completion I will need print-quality art, so it turns out as good as possible. Width/height isn't an issue.

Upon work completion and my approval we can talk about it being on your DA page with watermark if you want. I'm flexible with you putting it up as long as the art is appropriate for the comic, but can't guarantee every piece will make it into the first book or future books. I'm going to try though.

Work-wise I'm looking for art pieces (or comics) with lesser known characters, but I'm open into helping you logistically with any of your favorite scenes. Having a history with TBoWL is a plus, but not required.

Every work will be appended a thorough introduction to the piece(s) including the artist's name. An index in the back will contain your alias, current website, etc..

I'm looking to try to go to print in two months, so mid Oct'ish. That gives you plenty of time, but please contact me as soon as you can to express interest.

This should go without saying by now here, but if you unsolicited send me art, or if it is clearly inappropriate based on the spirit of TBoWL I may not respond and would ask you not post the art anywhere else either.

All skill levels and mediums welcome, but please no ms paint...

I think that is about it. Thank you for your time either way. Link to my comic is in the sig.

Last edited by tbowl on Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:06 am; edited 2 times in total
rylearron

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you want people to draw fan art of your characters so you can make a book, and in return they get no compensation or recognition? Where do I sign up?
wendyw
The Bomb-diggity

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this forum usually has the unofficial policy of ridiculing any requests for free stuff by people, but tbowl is a long term member and an ex-staffer here, so we shall assume that he's not on the board with the sole intention of abusing the generosity of others.

Blog
OnyxSparrow

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only assume that tbowl will in the LEAST be listing off the artists and urls of all the artwork in the book. I'd also assume that he'd like to find fans of his work foremost, and discuss any methods of compensation personally, instead of just lighting up a "paying for pictures lolz" sign for any couchmonkey to try and snag without giving a damn about the content being created.
Yarrrrr!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello All,

Thank you for the quick responses.

Yes I'm planning a full index at the back of the book on top of the appended introduction to each piece w/ artist name. Index will have things like artist name, alias, current websites and names, DA page if you have one, and anything else if it is appropriate. The index will be scalable info-wise to make sure I capture what is needed to make it an appropriate index.

Also yes I'm looking specifically for fans of the comic, though anyone is welcome. Tributes are separate from commissions logistically. It wouldn't be a true tribute art book if I simply paid for every entry into the book and told people exactly what to make if that makes sense....

That being said, a few commissioned pieces will go in but they will be in the minority %-wise. Also out of those commissions, only one of them I commissioned wasn't in tribute spirit. Was more like a consultant relationship, but with an art piece at the end as a final product.

Compensation for this book will be discussed privately as people express interest. This board has always been my biggest supporter in the nearly 6 years I've been doing my comic. I would not deceive or exploit anyone on this board or anywhere else. Honesty means everything to me. I'm way more worried about upsetting the balance and harmony than worrying about my own projects.

Hope this helps clear things up.
tbowl
Yarrrrr!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I wanted to keep updates on how this project is going. Both to keep people in the loop, but also to show that I'm serious about this project.

Right now the size I'm looking at is 11x8.5, hard bound, hard cover wrap around. Not only is it much more economical than larger sizes but it really is a good size. Do I want it bigger? Absolutely. But the price point would simply be impossible. This allows me to focus on the largest page count I possibly can instead of a tiny art book with practically nothing in it. So I'm going for a single, large book, instead of considering another volume.. That's why I've pushed the due date out almost another month. To make sure everyone can get in that wants to.

I still haven't found someone to do the cover. In proper 'tribute art book' fashion though I want to have a 'group photo' look where you can see every character, or at least a very nice chunk of the characters in the comic.

Also I'm still getting a lot of questions about how the artist will get recognized in the book. This is a very valid question and I want to emphasize again that I have every goal of being honest and up front.

Everyone with 4 or more pieces in the book are getting a separate introduction at the beginning of their area, and then an introduction to each art piece as well.

Everyone with less than 4 pieces in the book will have their introduction worked into the introductions of their art pieces.

Everyone will get a section of the index in the back as well, along with which pages their art appears on.

These are the people I'm still looking for. If someone could help me get a hold of them it would be fantastic.

Lynn - Dark Red
Keong - TNT
John - Wayward Robot
Indifferently Evil
Elfkin - neat comic about elves on tolkienfanart a long time ago

So far I have art from 11 different artists totaling 19 pieces and 3 more artists with work in the hopper. My goal was 21 pages worth, so I've basically already met my personal goal. The rest of this is just going to be icing on the cake.

I'm so humbled by all of the work my friends (you all) have done over the years. I appreciate it so much and I could never thank you all enough. I hope doing this book is taken as positively as possible. It is very humbling to be able to do something like this.

Thank you so much.

Last edited by tbowl on Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:40 am; edited 2 times in total
Dutch
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to take part, but I'll have to see how much time I can wrangle from elsewhere to get something suitable for you. I'll see if I can manage something before the use by date. Smile
Yarrrrr!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really appreciate it. I'm leaving everyone plenty of time. My goal is to get every single one of my friends a spot. Smile Of course Dutch you are on the top of that list. Smile

I'm sure Future Pally likes to play footy, with Vulgars as the footy!! Muahahaha!
tbowl
Yarrrrr!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,

I've been getting amazing feedback.

I wanted to thank everyone again for being so positive. There's still plenty of time to get a piece in.

There are still several people I'm trying to reach out to that I haven't heard from that I really wish would have the opportunity to add something if they wanted.

Lynn - Dark Red
Keong C. - TNT
John - Wayward Robot
Elfkin - neat comic about elves on tolkienfanart a long time ago

Also remember that anyone is welcome to submit a piece, but I'm specifically looking for all of my older friends. The people I started with. The ones that helped me persevere through all these years. You know who you are. Smile
OnyxSparrow

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty much done with mine... I'm just being anal about the details. Rolling Eyes
Yarrrrr!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worries, plenty of time. I really like your piece and want you to be 100% satisfied with it.

Here's the update of everything in the hopper.

I have a work from TNT and a work from Wayward Robot I'm still trying to get permission for, but can't get a hold of either of them. Going to be extremely upset if I have to move forward without those two pieces. They are extremely dear to my heart.

Also my brother is trying to find his original hard copies of seven pieces he did a long time ago. They're phenomenal pieces. I'm not doing the book without them.

The cover will begin getting inked soon as soon as I give a certain someone the go ahead. I'm spending a lot of time looking at it making sure nothing is missed. It looks AWESOME by the way.

One piece is awaiting the artist to finish the background. It is a really amazing piece that will really floor everyone.

I also have at least 4 more people interested, making sure to give them ample time.

I'm still looking for at least 4 more people. I'm worried I won't be able to track them down though. Sad

21 pieces confirmed and ready to go from 14 artists. 3 more pieces well in process. My brother has 8 total pieces, if he can find the originals of 7 of them.

It's going to be a pretty big book. Very, very excited. I really want to get up to 40 pages though. So I'm looking for at least 5 more works.

There's still plenty of time and plenty of room if anyone's interested in submitting.
tbowl
Yarrrrr!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been a while since I did an update so wanted to do an update. I want to try to go to print first two weeks of Nov.

If you still want to submit something please go for it, you have time.

I'll have a few more reminders through the end of this month and Oct. Smile
tbowl
Yarrrrr!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bout two weeks left before I stop accepting submissions for this run. Just wanted to remind everyone, give 'em fair warning. This'll probably be the last reminder before the due date. I guess its safe to just say it's Nov. 1st for the last date.

Thanks everyone who has submitted so far. I love all of your work.

Can't wait to get production on this book started.

Talk to ya'll later!
axonite
Needs to post more

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should have something finished for you by the 1st! Smile

Z7 - PodWarp 1999
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> The Dogpile All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum