TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

After the volcano.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tskingdom

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ps99 wrote:
Heres hoping FEMA are on the ball

Casual Notice
Spambot Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ps99 wrote:
Heres hoping FEMA are on the ball

I'm not sure there's anything FEMA will be able to do. FEMA depends on coordinated, centralized national response to events. In this case, hundreds of thousands of square miles (the red and orange zones) will be effectively gone. Millions more (the yellow and green zones) will have heavy damage, no radio communication, and limited land communications. Even the Blue zone will have to contend with a "blizzard" composed of tiny pieces of glass (and will probably have limited or impossible radio communications).

Satellites, except for those especially fitted for geographic and other penetrating purposes will be useless for assessing the damage as the dust cloud spreads. Only the west coast and part of New England will be safe from the initial event, and New England is right in the path of the dust cloud.

In the US, at least, there will be rapid societal breakdown as established community and state services fail in the face of the immense disaster. The rest of the world will have slightly less trouble at first, but they will face slow starvation as the darkness of the first year or two and the cold of the next 7-10 reduce food production to well below the necessary amount. Nations with American military bases will also have to contend with potential mutinees as US servicemen, horrified or panic stricken over the fate of their loved ones seek means to return home to help.
Casual Notice
Spambot Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little preparation...

Yeah, my artwork still sucks. I blame society.
Luke

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started this, but this month suddenly became unmanageable, work-wise, so I won't be able to finish it. Oh well.
Spambot Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one, Luke. Hopefully, work will settle down and you'll be able to pick him up next month (when he and the rest of the station crew have been alone and desperate for a while).

While I'm at it...
Timeline of Event Day
  • At 12:35am Local Time (6:35am GMT), the granite dome above the Yellowstone caldera collapses. The collapse is immediately followed by the outward explosion of the magma pool beneath. Within minutes, Cheyenne, WY, is flattened by the shock wave, then immediately covered ina pyroclastic flow several feet deep.
  • Event +1hour—The shockwave has travelled appr 700 miles (1120 km) in all directions, causing moderate to heavy damage. Pyroclastic flow has reached its full extension. Airborne pyroclastics have begun falling on Colorado, Nebraska, Northwestern Kansas, northeastern Utah, eastern Idaho, and the western parts of the Dakotas. Included among the airborne debris are a number of huge boulders (up to the size of small buildings). Heavy fires rage through the areas affected.
  • Event +2h—The shockwave has now travelled 1400 miles (2200km), causing light to moderate damage. Airborne pyroclastics begin falling on western Minnesota, Iowa, Missouri, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Northern Texas, northwestern New Mexico, and northwestern Nevada. Included among the airborne debris are large boulders (up to the size of cars). Multiple fires burn out of control across the area of debris fall.
  • Event +3h—The shockwave has travelled 2100 miles, causing little or no damage, but being heard as a deafening rumble. Airborne Pyroclastics begin falling on Wisconsin, Illinois, Western Kentucky, Western Tennessee, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, and the border areas of Alberta, Seskatchewan, and Manitoba. Included among the airborne debris are large rocks (up to the size of a watermelon), some of which are still hot enough to cause scattered fires of varying degree.
  • E+4h—The shockwave has now travelled 2800 miles causing littled damage but being heard as an extremely loud rumble. Small airborne pyroclastics (mostly sand and pepples) fall on Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylania, Western New York, New Jersey, Maryland, Delaware, Virginia, the Carolinas, Northern Florida, and the southwestern parts of Ontario and Quebec, and the northern States of Mexico. Initial damage from the fall is extremely light, but there is still a danger from generated heat and from silica and basaltic dust being inhaled and/or entering machinery. This is the farthest extent of non-suspended pyroclastics.
  • E+7h—The shockwave has reached Europe as a noticible rumbling noise. The main explosive emmission has stopped but smoke conitinues to billow out of the caldera and isolated barks of pyroclastic activity still occur.

Casual Notice
Spambot Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gonna have a Houston entry for day one tomorrow. Meant to do it today, but life overwhelms...
Kallisti

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have posted a comic, but my internet connection was down all day due to the giant ash cloud and subsequent massive thunderstorms.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> Jams and competitions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: