TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help me find a webcomic: pre-apocalyptic comic
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
smbhax.com
No! Don't post it there!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's new to me!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:48 pm    Post subject: I'd read it. Reply with quote

I'd read a comic about this.

And yeah, the two scenarios outlined are both very valid points for survivalists.

Plus ya know, where do you buy your ammo or supplies (or gun lockers) for that matter, since those businesses may all keep records (or even just to take delivery on that stuff from costco, even).

Something that's been on my mind, if you don't have a set-date for the apocalypse (see religious freaks), a survivalist needs to take into account how to use their stored goods in their 'regular' life. Mormons run into this problem with their stored food. If you don't use your supplies, then it's just wasted money/income.

Also, how to contemplate what society would look like after TEOTWAWKI.

For example, one guy pointed out to me that you would never want to sell guns or ammo after the bomb. That's stupid. But many casual survivalists just buy a bunch of guns / ammo, and figure they'll trade it for what they need.
justender

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:32 am    Post subject: Oldest first? Reply with quote

Quote:
Surely you'd be fine as long as you just constantly used the oldest stuff first

Only if all you eat/consume is the stored goods. And assuming you're only storing for the number of mouths that is currently in your household. ie: Not for sister and her 6 family members. Otherwise, you're constantly going to be behind in your consumption rate.

I mean, taking the Costco thing (shelf reliance), nobody wants to hand-grind their own wheat everyday of the non-apocalypse.

And that's assuming that the shelf-lives don't get you. For example, bleach has a half-life of 6 months.
vaslittlecrow

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in favor of this idea.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:10 am    Post subject: On alcohol Reply with quote

Just a note, spirits *can* last hundreds of years, but only if they're properly sealed. Oxygen will get the ones which are not, I read that tidbit when this hit the news:

http://articles.nydailynews.com/2012-07-06/news/32569674_1_bottles-whisky-historic-house

But, the info is not in that specific article.

And for the short-term plan? Figure 2 years of stored goods, especially if you've not gardened before. If the end of the world is a nuclear winter, you're not going to be growing shit for years, even if you do get to a fallout free region.

And yes, I've been thinking about what I'd like to see in this (potential) comic(s). While the original guy doesn't want to show TEOTW - I think each piece of advice, or whatever would be nice to show a different potential EOTW scenario. Then we could get to see mutated rats, and zombies, and hordes of black helicopters. Bang-bang-go-boom! Which is always fun to see in a comic, instead of just humor and pyscho-drama.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> Webcomic Gubbins All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: