TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

COMICPRESS FOR ONLY $79.99!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beertycoon
Yarrrrr!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tbh, if they charge $79 and people are willing to pay that, more power to them. I'd charge $79 if I were them too...

...on the other hand I would never pay $79 Wink

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I don't want to pay $79, but Tyler and crew are putting in a lot of work, and if they think that they can make a few quid charging, more power to them. As I understand it, that $79 includes ongoing support from your chosen designer, so that's a perk.

As per @Frumph, he's always been there to help when people's sites melt whether they paid for his freelance design work or not. He's a good guy, and I'm happy to say I'm a fan!

As per ComicPress, I think the idea of legacy being stable for more than an few wordpress revisions is a pipedream, but there are other comic-themes to use if you don't want to go premium, so no big deal.

Though again, I can always find another use for $79...

Dave

Also be sure to read ttallan's
smbhax.com
No! Don't post it there!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm ouch, hopefully the tons of small webcomics using ComicPress won't end up caught in plugin compatibility limbo somewhere down the road.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's funny, we were just looking at ways to put TOGM up on our own site, and the jump to pay now before we do saves us from having to add yet another expense... I'm glad they did it before I started using it!

Last edited by Magravan on Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
munkymu
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"@ideawhore better fun fact: the purchase price is for install/setup/configuration by the designer, it just happens to be the way to prem. "

AHAHAHAHAHA!!! No.

While I won't blame them for trying to make a buck, I need installation, setup and configuration like I need my jobless cousin living in my basement for the next 10 years. I guess I'll go with something else or just bite the bullet and learn how to code my own themes.

And let's not be overly dramatic here -- one can still have a perfectly functional comics site without using Wordpress or Comicpress at all.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Congratulations, you guys just invented Webcomic + Inkblot with a price tag.

Thanks for that. XD

I don't think there's any problem with ComicPress wanting to charge for the work they've done. Charging $80 for what anyone can get elsewhere for free with the understanding that a lot of people probably aren't aware of the alternatives, on the other hand, is highway robbery. Here are the alternatives I'm aware of:

If people still want to pay $80 to have one of the CP "authorized designers" install it for them after checking out the free alternatives that's great. They definitely shouldn't bye into the hyperbole that occasionally comes form the developers. All of the options I listed above are perfectly legitimate choices for publishing and managing a webcomic with WordPress, and they all excel at different areas (and often beat ComicPress in specific areas, particular the ComicPress "legacy" theme). For example:

• Webcomic included a dedicated Chapters system (using WordPress' own taxonomy API) and a unified theme long before ComicPress included either.
  • stripShow has had the option for using swf, html, and txt files as comics for quite some time (this is apparently a feature of ComicPress "Premium")
  • Manga+Press has always used WordPress' own media functions to manage webcomic files (another feature of ComicPress "Premium")

If the CP team can make money off of ComicPress (or whatever they're going to call it now that the "premium" tag has exploded) more power to them, but they definitely aren't the only ones busting their asses to help the webcomic community. I'd be glad to help existing ComicPress users switch, if they'd like to give Webcomic a try. ^_^
LunarZero

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha ha. XD That actually has to do with the fact that I recently switched web hosts and not all of the DNS stuff has transferred yet. If you're really scared there are three other perfectly good alternatives. Wink
Senshuu

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad 2.9 is still going to be supported/bug fixed. I don't use it, but if I did, and all support and regard for it were suddenly dropped for an $80* alternative, I'd be kind of peeved. I'd be sad for everyone else, too. But, it seems it will work out. Whoever spends $80 on it obviously has the confidence towards it, and that's good enough.

The thing that amused me most about all this:

a post on frumph.net wrote:
In CP >= 3.0 Comics are attached to posts, which means unlimited comics per day, etc.. etc.

The features are unbelievably robust and will continue to be so, nothing else compares, no matter how hard they try to steal or mimic the functionality.

Aforementioned highlight of new-comic-CMS 3.0 has been a feature of other comic CMSes (including sites like Smackjeeves) for ages.

A supposedly nice person accusing others of stealing what should be standard features in such programs is not so attractive. Why would anyone even say that? There's a certain lack of eloquence involved, but still. Also, I'm pretty sure no one would want to "steal", borrow, or mimic whatever few features are actually unique and inherent to ComicPress.

* $80. $80! More than this. MORE THAN THIS. More than tools people actually use to create webcomics. Say what you want about who deserves what, and quality, but that's a freaking lot to ask of people who try to be frugal. That actually bothers me way more than the Webcomics.com thing, which was mostly just sudden shock.
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frumph wrote:

I find it interesting the only people griping about a 'separate' theme that is per pay are the ones that do not use ComicPress to begin with.

You don't know for certain who uses ComicPress and who doesn't, since people can have more than one site or run a site for someone else.
No! Don't post it there!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frumph wrote:
Artists should be artists, not coders

Maybe if this was the Middle Ages! =P Hm come to think of it that's not really true either; if my smattering of art history is at all correct, then the best (remembered) artists in history have tended to be among the best technicians of their medium as well.

Aside from that, good luck with the new project, and it's good to know your existing install base will still be supported!

(<-- is not a ComicPress user, so don't mind him)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see anything about Premium or even a 3.0 version on comicpress.org or their official forums there, so I don't even know where that screenshot fesworks posted came from.

So the main confusion here is that Premium is a side project that had nothing officially to do with the mainstream ComicPress product, but had (originally) decided to use the ComicPress name for its promotion?

If so, then nothing to worry about, ComicPress As We Know It does not change.

EDIT to add: I realize I'm probably just restating what's already stated, but I think it was important to just boil it down to a few sentences so there's no more panic on the plane.

Oh, and we're all out of coffee...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, what we're hearing now is slightly different from what Frumph posted on his own site, which certainly makes it sound like ComicPress "Premium" had a lot to do with the future of ComicPress as little as a month and a half ago (which is fine; things can change):

http://frumph.net/blog/comicpress-unleashed/

From the post:

Quote:
I am going to release one final ComicPress 2.9 line, with the ComicPress 2.9.2 release to coincide with the version number of WordPress it works with. From here on there will be no more additions / fixes / modifications to the code, save for bug fixes. We will release ComicPress 2.9.2 line now known as ComicPress Legacy when I have felt the bug reports have been reduced to nothing, from there, no more updates on ComicPress Legacy.

With the advent of ComicPress Legacy being dropped in working on additional features for we have in development *and working for the last several months now ComicPress Premium. ComicPress Premium is utilizes core WordPress functionality for attaching comics to post as it should be, meaning multiple comics per day, comics are attached to the post itself and more. We have completely dropped ComicPress Manager out of the equation and it is no longer needed. Many features that were in ComicPress now known as ComicPress Legacy have been removed and can be replaced by plugins of the appropriate type.

To Recap.

The ComicPress 1.0 -> 2.9.2 series, now known as ComicPress Legacy will be defunct from any new features or additions, support will only be available on the comicpress.org forums and will remain Free. No new updates past that, unless another developer would like to step in and take over this line.

ComicPress Premium, which is the >= 3.0 line will however, not be free and *not* be backward compatible with earlier versions of ComicPress, i.e. the ComicPress Legacy line. There will be more information available after our beta testing phase has ended.

ComicPress Premium will only be available to those who purchase it from one of the developers. That CP Developer will then support you and your site with it upon purchase.

ComicPress Legacy will still be available to the public, free as always. No more feature implementations however and only updated to work with the latest version(s) of WordPress.

Last edited by LunarZero on Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:00 am; edited 2 times in total
LunarZero

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm aware things can change (I said as much in my post to make that clear), and I've already said before (elsewhere and in this very thread) that the ComicPress dev's can charge whatever they want for their product. No one can force them to do anything with ComicPress; they could charge $8,000 for all I care. XD

And if you're really curious: I have actually been offered good money to develop Webcomic exclusively for specific websites, so that you would (for example) only get to use it as part of a particular comic community. I've turned every offer down because I just don't like the idea of charging for it, or developing it for a specific community.

EDIT: Here are some thoughts I posted about this back in April if you'd like more detail - http://groups.google.com/group/webcomic-discuss/browse_thread/thread/d8b8d36d43c0de56#
smbhax.com
No! Don't post it there!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wendyw wrote:
Painters and illustrators can mix their own paints and inks and photographers can mix their own chemicals, set up their own darkrooms and so on, but that's all stuff leading to the creation of the work.

Yeah, but it continues throughout the creation of the work: knowing how to apply the paint or take the photo to achieve the image you're after involves no small amount of technical knowledge.

wendyw wrote:
Websites are one of the things that come after and in a way seperate from the creation.

Not for most comics I've seen! It's pretty rare as far as I know for someone to compose a complete comic series, and only post it online once each and every page is done--as far as I've seen that pretty much only happens when people are converting their composed-for-print work to webcomic format. For most comics I tend to see the web site evolve while the author is also working on creating and posting the pages week by week. And I'd even be surprised if most people, when starting on a new comic, didn't already have an idea of what they wanted the site to look like as they're composing the very first strip. It seems pretty unlikely to me that someone would start working on something intended for web display without having given any thought at all to how they're going to display it. Even just picking the pixel dimensions of your first page would usually mean that you've already been thinking about how it's going to be placed and read on a web page.

wendyw wrote:
Generally artists let someone else handle the exhibition of their work, in a building they didn't design, where it gets sold by someone with a better understanding of business and how to convince rich people that their work is worth a lot of money.

Well, I think there's always been a lot of art whose sale takes place outside of an art dealer environment: stuff sold by artists at art fairs, by word of mouth, direct commissions, etc.

And even if someone does get their work into a gallery, it certainly behooves them to have an understanding of how the selling of art works--as detailed an understanding as possible, if they don't want to get fleeced by dealers. And even if they don't get down to the nuts and bolts of the sale, the very preparation of the work itself almost certainly requires having thought about how it will eventually be sold: when you pick a subject and style you'll usually be thinking--at least to some small degree--about how the final product will be or might be presented, framed, shown, and for who. Generally the artist wouldn't just be throwing something together and only after it's all done have the revelation that oh! this might end up on a gallery wall, I wish I'd thought of that before I assembled it on this lovely but totally unmountable frame.

And to take an extreme example, if it's an installation piece--a mural, say, or a sculpture for a particular location--then you're absolutely thinking, very intently, of where it's going to be and how it will be displayed, even before you start sketching out the first designs.

And anyway, thank goodness, it is intrinsic to the nature of webcomics that for anyone with net access, close to average intelligence, and a reasonable amount of desire, they do *not* require a third party like a dealer or a supreme technical expert or whatnot; how many of us would even be here now if they did? If you can use a paint program or a scanner well enough to produce a decent digital image, then you're probably also going to be capable of managing to get your comic a site, even if you just go with, say, a stock template on SmackJeeves or something--no actual middleman--aside from the free hosting service of your choice, bless their bytes--required! Hurrah for webcomics!

And wait, we were talking about coding. Okay right, so chances are that even if you do start with something real simple, over time, if you're really investing actual thought into your comic, you'll start monkeying with the template, just simple copy and paste stuff maybe like adding links or changing a button graphic, and behold and lo, you're a coder now, in a small way. I guess there are some people out there who really do just make the comic image and hand it off to someone else who handles everything having to do with the display of said image file on the internet, but I think we can agree that it's better for a webcomic when the artist/author is involved at least to some degree in the web site stage, and I bet that if you think about the webcomics you really like, the people making the comic are probably involved in the web site to a significant degree.

You say you're all thumbs when it comes to anything involving page code, but even so, unless I'm misreading your post, you can see how it would be to your advantage to know a bit of it, right? And anyway you know enough about it to know that a link color *can* be changed, and probably should be changed to better match the intended display environment for the comic, so that's something--even you aren't totally divorced from the technical aspects of the site, because...well, probably because you care about your comic, dagnabbit, and you realize that web is a big part of webcomic.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some days it's embarrassing to be seen hanging out in this part of town.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> Webcomic Gubbins All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: