TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New webcomic management tool: Netsaha

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beertycoon
Yarrrrr!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the admin panel looks good judging from the screenshot. Got any screenshots of how the comic looks?
No! Don't post it there!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One concept in webcomic navigation scripting that I sort of learned about today was "permalinks." That is, while the simplest way to create URLs for pages is just the numeric order in which they appear--which seems to be how you have it in your example--if a user of that system ever altered the order of their pages, it would throw off any links anyone had posted to specific pages of their comic.

For instance, say I really like page 50, so I post a link to it on some message board, like this:

http://www.megatokio.com/?id=50

but then the author decides they don't like page 49, so they delete it: now the link I'd posted on that message board points to what had previously been the 51st comic, instead of the one I liked, which is now the 49th comic.

I noticed this over at ComicFury, which by default uses the simple 1...2...3... page order and URL system, but seems to have layered a permalink system on top of that; while you're paging through a comic on their site using prev/next, the addresses increment in single integers ([comicurl]1, [comicurl]2, [comicurl]3...), but there is also a separate script that will point to any comic with a permanent URL, consisting of a mysterious long number, that remains the same no matter the order in which the page appears. The problem with ComicFury's implementation of this permalink system is that it is just sort of obscurely draped over the incremental address system: the permalink URLs aren't shown to you when you're paging through a comic with prev/next, and they appear to use a separate script for their page rendering, meaning that there can be an error in how a page renders if you look at it via the permalink, that isn't there when you look at it through the incremental link. And you end up with two addresses for each page, which is confusing.

DrunkDuck and Smack Jeeves seem to do it better, by making permalinks part of their default navigation scheme: the prev/next buttons use permalinks, rather than incremental links, so users can rearrange their pages as much as they like, without breaking links on other sites that point to specific pages of their comic.

My own simple comic displaying scripts have no concept of permalinks; they just take a directory of image files and construct an alphabetical list out of them. This kind of worries me now, but I'm putting off thoughts of constructing a permalink system by just telling myself that I'll just never ever change my page order, and so there's no problem, and I can keep my URLs and scripts nice and fast and simple. ;) Of course I've already changed page order once in one of my comics and that *did* throw all old external links off, bah.

Anyway I just thought I'd mention it. I don't know for sure that your apparently incremental links aren't already permalinks; if they are, never mind, you're already ahead of the game! If they aren't, then it's something to think about, I suppose.
No! Don't post it there!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's cool that "Nettisarjiksenhallinta" is a single word meaning webcomic management. :D

You should put a prominent link on the front page to an example comic running the system. I see you have Megatokio linked through the forum, but probably not many people will dig that deep to find an example. Also, I think it would help if you made the screenshot of the control panel something people could click to enlarge--it's small and hard to read right now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> Webcomic Gubbins All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: