TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Annoying things in Webcomics
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 53, 54, 55  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
smbhax.com
No! Don't post it there!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lexianee wrote:
YAY!!! You can do what I do when I want to test things. I ask people that have different computers, different os and different internet (also in different parts of the world) I also test my site on 5 different web browsers to make sure they all seen good >> but maybe I over do it!!!!!

Also... I like cookies!!!

You might as well also run it through this site

http://browsershots.org/

that will test it on 75 browsers across 4 operating systems for you.
No! Don't post it there!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, but sometimes even those can be helpful in other ways. Like, when I ran it on my own site after I made that post, one of those ghetto computers barfed on a cookie a widget on my site was feeding it--and I hadn't realized that widget was sending cookies! Yeah I should'a known that before, but anyway this helped me find it and then turn it off, so now hardly any pages on my site hit the user with cookies (the exceptions being the phpBB forum pages, and the page with the PayPal "Donate" button on it, 'cause I can't find a PayPal config option to disable cookies). Woo!
No! Don't post it there!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mess with those kids 'cause a lot of them can already draw better than me. :|
No! Don't post it there!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Panel backgrounds consisting entirely of the letters F, U, C, and/or K.

Also characters wearing "ironic" t-shirts, someone must'a said that one by now though.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theSOOZ wrote:
lexianee wrote:
Which reminds me, I hate it when they waste a perfectly good update on a single image!!

Dayum, dude, what do you have against occasional decompressed storytelling?! Shocked

A lot, apparently. :C
No! Don't post it there!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You wouldn't like one of my comics, then. ;)

I do agree though that a weekly update that turned out to be a "cover" or something would be pretty annoying. Actually I don't like covers or character art/bios or thank-you-pages or anything like that being inserted into the main comic...but usually at least they're done in addition to rather than in substitution of a regular page.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hollylaing wrote:
Heh, I did that for my most recent chapter (adding a cover in place of an update) and got a bit of complaints from readers. I was actually surprised as I find covers can sometimes be the best part of a comic. I realize it doesn't add anything to the story, but doing up a cover still requires lot of work from the artist, and it can even have subtle hints of plot details to come. With all that considered, I think you could justify a cover taking up an update.

But, then again, I follow print comics a lot more than web... so that could explain why I put so much importance into covers. I notice quite a few webcomics don't bother. To each their own.

I'm in the same boat. I've gone to lengths to make my comic feel as if it's a book, with a cover, inside cover, and later, a back cover. Each "issue" will be separate from the next. I see a lot of comics that handle longform as one massive comic or long (100+ pages) episodes, but I want my comic to feel different than that (and I'm sure I'll catch some flak over it).

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luke wrote:
I like covers actually.

Although, I guess it depends on how often the comic updates. If it's once a month, then a cover would annoy me.

I'm not really a fan of stuff that updates once a month, period. It's too long between pages to get any kind of flow, IMO.
Spambot Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novil wrote:
Pages of pages without a single line of dialog. Comic = pictures + text!

Not necessarily. I've seen some very good silent comics, and even within a comic which does have words, certain scenes might be silent, say if a character was trying to be sneaky, or scenes which are meant to be really sad - in these cases, silence can be very effective.
rocketpig

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novil wrote:

Frank Miller does not approve of this post.

Honestly, dialogue isn't needed sometimes. In fact, sometimes it is better not to have it. It's a viable way to tell a story, especially when you want to alter the timing of a page. Not having dialogue on a page speeds up the reader's eye, implying either a long dramatic pause as the reader's eye dances around the image (say, a full page splash) or as it flies through several panels in rapid succession, implying a rushed sequence (say several panels on a page showing someone barely escaping an explosion).

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jtpetro wrote:
Novil wrote:

Have to say I agree with the others, I'd rather read a wordless comic any day than Wall O' Text.
That's my pet peeve: huge walls of text. Worse if it doesn't appear to have been edited beyond first draft stage: characters repeat things, say too much exposition, or explain what the comic should be showing in pictures. Even worse if, instead of comic page update, there is a long book page with paragraphs I must read. Bleah.

Walls of text bug the hell out of me, as well. There is only so much text you can fit on a comic page while maintaining a balance of imagery versus text.

If you have that much to say, use two friggin' pages to do it. There's nothing wrong with that.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Casual Notice wrote:
This bothers me where ever I see it, but I see it most in comics and blogs: I hate when people lack such basic understanding of the English language that they don't even seem to understand what words mean.

Now I'm not talking about English translations or ESL speakers trying to reach a wider audience. I mean Americans (and Brits? do Brits do this?) who use phrases and aphorisms that they've spelled out phonetically without even pausing to work out what the thing they just wrote means.

Should HAVE.
Would HAVE.
Could HAVE.
Contract them to Should've/Would've/Could've if you must, but there is no possibly use for the meaningles phrase "should of".

"Once IN a godamned while." Not AND. Once and a while doesn't mean anything.

Seriously people. If you can't spell your own words at least learn what they mean and take a few seconde to understand if the words on paper actually have meaning when you put them together.

I agree with you in spirit but if it's such a common mistake in speech/writing, shouldn't some characters reflect this in their dialogue? With certain characters, I intentionally write them with "sloppy" terms like that because, let's face it, that's how that person would speak.

But if it's not dialogue, bloody HELL, don't use it! I make casual mistakes in my blog but I'm generally pretty good about weaning out phrases that are in popular English but don't make sense and/or are contradictory ("I could care less", here's looking at you).

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, good point. I don't see how I would use either of those terms in dialogue, just making a generalization about common errors in English.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to admit, I won't cry if I never see another instance of someone or something "wrecking havoc".
No! Don't post it there!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spoiled by not having anything actually bad in their lives, I suppose.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> Webcomic Gubbins All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 53, 54, 55  Next
Page 12 of 55

Jump to: